Author Topic: Another Kit Version-Crimson 2  (Read 4045 times)

Offline DannyM

Another Kit Version-Crimson 2
« on: June 12, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
Another new Kit Version, The Crimson 2.

Offline rhysT

Re: Another Kit Version-Crimson 2
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:40:26 PM »

It's prob'ly just a Crimson kit plus 'expansion pack' option of an extra cymbal.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 10:07:07 PM »

It's prob'ly just a Crimson kit plus 'expansion pack' option of an extra cymbal.

Module specs are different... more kits,sounds,play along tracks... etc..and a Red LCD screen

The Crimson II Drum Module features 74 drum kits (54 factory + 20 user) with over 671 sounds and 120 play-along tracks built-in.

The Crimson Drum Module features 70 drum kits (50 factory + 20 user) with over 600 sounds and 60 play-along tracks built-in.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 11:00:09 PM »

Module specs are different... more kits,sounds,play along tracks... etc..and a Red LCD screen

The Crimson II Drum Module features 74 drum kits (54 factory + 20 user) with over 671 sounds and 120 play-along tracks built-in.

The Crimson Drum Module features 70 drum kits (50 factory + 20 user) with over 600 sounds and 60 play-along tracks built-in.

Thanks for the info confirming Crimson-II module specs are identical to a DM10 Mk-II Studio module:
http://5a18fcdc5c8aa2617926-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/1765/documents/Alesis_2017_Cutsheet_DM10MKIIStudioKit.pdf

Apparently Alesis have finally realized how farcical it was to label a Crimson module clone as a DM10 Mk-II version.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:51:02 PM by rhysT »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
Apparently Alesis have finally realized how farcical it was to label a Crimson module clone as a DM10 Mk-II version.

I don't think they realize that yet. If they did, the DM10 MK-II "studio" (you got to say studio because the Pro is different) would no longer be a product. It still is.

What I think Alesis is doing is kind of like what car makers do. They have a base model and then there are the optional "add-ons" (i.e. SX, turbo, EX, XL etc.). In the case of Alesis they are just making whole new names of products instead of two letter prefixes. This has a couple effects. One, it makes it look as if Alesis is the only edrum maker with tons of options. Two it puts their name out there as a "new product" constantly. Which gives the impression of a company that is on the move.

Think of it kind of like guitars. A lot of times guitar makers have what look like similar models, but with different names. Fender Jaguar vs Fender Jazzmaster. Slightly different yet very similar guitars.

I don't know if this new way of putting out edrums is going to work. Only time will tell. I think it might confuse buyers, but at the same time it gives customers "options" and makes them feel as if they have something special.

Offline DannyM

Re: Another Kit Version
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 10:20:09 AM »
Hello everyone. Looking at the screen shot, the price of the Crimson 2 VS the DM 2 studio is the same, but you get a 12 inch snare on a stand with the Crimson 2 vs a 10 inch snare mounted on the DM 2 studio , which I like, but overall, I would get the DM10 MKII Pro Kit over both of them, better module for the price range and a big snare on a stand and the extra tom. I have the Command kit and the module is really good, the same as the Crimson, but you cannot control the aux input level. The pro kit you can from what I see on that module..
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:23:47 AM by DannyM »

Offline prentir

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »

Thanks for the info confirming Crimson-II module specs are identical to a DM10 Mk-II Studio module:
http://5a18fcdc5c8aa2617926-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/1765/documents/Alesis_2017_Cutsheet_DM10MKIIStudioKit.pdf

Yes certainly looks like the DM10 MKII although the MKII on the Alesis site does not appear to have a red LCD!   I am guessing the photo on the site was stock and this is in fact the real module.
Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 07:40:04 PM »

What I think Alesis is doing is kind of like what car makers do. They have a base model and then there are the optional "add-ons" (i.e. SX, turbo, EX, XL etc.). In the case of Alesis they are just making whole new names of products instead of two letter prefixes. This has a couple effects. One, it makes it look as if Alesis is the only edrum maker with tons of options. Two it puts their name out there as a "new product" constantly. Which gives the impression of a company that is on the move.

I don't know if this new way of putting out edrums is going to work. Only time will tell. I think it might confuse buyers, but at the same time it gives customers "options" and makes them feel as if they have something special.

Yeah Alesis appear to be playing a marketing name game, but at least the 'Crimsom-II' module specs make it easy for them to phase out the 'DM10 Mk-II Studio' module maybe when the original DM10/X kits & module are retired. There should be more interest in the new 'DM10 Mk-II Pro' kit & module than a cloned 'Mk-II Studio' version so it's unlikely to be missed.
Heck I'm also playing the name game with my revised 'DM10 Mk-1' kits, to emphasize they are only usable with the original DM10 module: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s4g979xfpic14ok/AADhHzPvGrWXOK1HYPbdBSqga?dl=0
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 02:55:50 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 05:18:51 PM »
The price here in Europe, Thomann, is 888€ only for the DM10MK2... don't know if it's better going with this or waiting for the Crimson 2. Does the sensitivity for the ghost notes is good on these machines ?