Author Topic: Is Left out on Strike Module summed mono when used alone?  (Read 1051 times)

Is Left out on Strike Module summed mono when used alone?
« on: March 18, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »
Is Left out on Strike Module summed mono when used alone?  I tend to say no otherwise I would think it would say so (left/Mono) like most other kits etc...   

Re: Is Left out on Strike Module summed mono when used alone?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 03:59:07 PM »
Hi everyone, sorry to have my first post be a resurrection but I have the exact same question as Ailind. Are the Left outputs automatically summed mono as long as nothing is plugged into the Right output? I'm asking as to the Main Outs as well as the Tom R/L and Crash R/L outputs.

I have been assuming so since every other synthesizer behaves like this, but as Ailind said, they're not labeled in that way and the user manual says nothing to enlighten me.

Thanks for the help!

Ivan

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 06:19:51 PM »
it seems that in general, the left alone does bring both right and left channels but in mono I believe, doesn't give you the stereophonic feel
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 06:53:32 PM »
Hi everyone, sorry to have my first post be a resurrection but I have the exact same question as Ailind. Are the Left outputs automatically summed mono as long as nothing is plugged into the Right output? I'm asking as to the Main Outs as well as the Tom R/L and Crash R/L outputs.

I have been assuming so since every other synthesizer behaves like this, but as Ailind said, they're not labeled in that way and the user manual says nothing to enlighten me.

Thanks for the help!

Ivan

I don't use the Direct Outs much..
Alesis never answered the questions I submitted about the direct outs and if the L+R worked for all kits or best with the Stereo /Voices/Kits ..It'seems to work better with 2 layers on a Voice with the Non-Stereo Kits..so with 2 layers on All the Toms you can get some interesting combinations.

kick, snare, hi-hat, ride have no panning control...toms and crashes are not summed to any/one output
(Tom or Crash) left out...Panning R lowers the signal...hard pan shuts it off
(Tom or Crash) Right Out..Panning L lowers the signal..hard pan shuts it off

It  hard to tell if it's for Stereo Balancing or True Panning since it effects All Toms or All crashes on one channel...and varies from kit to kit the signal never increases from MID and the Stereo Voices/Kits seem to benefit more for Bass > Treble...could be just settings also.

Make sure you watch the Voice Level if you go from using the Main Outs to using Direct Outs as I have found that if you use the same Voice Level when using the Main outs..then switch to Direct Outs hard panning the direct outs gets quite "noisy"/buzz on a velocity hit especially using the stereo kits..like a snare strainer clipping.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 10:46:56 AM »
Thank you fellows, interesting that the outputs seem independent even when one side is used.

We use this kit for live performance and have been using the Left direct outs except for the Crash and Ride which are combined through the Main Outs to free up a channel. But it recently occurred to me that we might be missing out on some qualities of the sounds if they're not actually mono-summed which is why I asked.

Based on the fact that the module doesn't seem to sum them, I'll assume that the panning feature is just to position the cymbal or tom properly in the stereo field and that it's a mono sample. The effects are another matter, but the individual outs are dry anyway so for our purpose that aspect won't matter.

Anyway thanks again for the help! I should mention that I'm the keyboardist and not the drummer in our band so I don't have the kit on hand to experiment with, I just handle the synth side of the kit and our drummer handles the actual drumming. So it's doubly handy to have a forum like this to turn to!

Regards,
Ivan