Author Topic: Alesis Mesh Kits  (Read 5301 times)

Offline AlanK

Alesis Mesh Kits
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »
Noticed a new video review on the studio mesh kit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMlGX250qTo

(and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JhFhwQSLUk and another kid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy67rxKF3nk)

Hopefully I'm not reposting what someone else already did.. anyways, its russian or polish, but it has translations.. there's a lot of unpacking where he rambles on and on, but I did notice when he's holding up the kick pad at certain angles you can see through the mesh at how they've got it arranged underneath.. looks pretty cool. His testing starts around 9:45 and he hasn't made any major setting adjustments yet but it sounds ok.. check out his tiny room full of Marshall cabs etc    8)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:05:58 PM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Re: Alesis Mesh Kits
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 04:31:14 AM »
looks good - i regret getting into this too soon?

it is almost a year since i began down this track...

still not set up

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 10:06:32 AM »
Take your time, you don't want to rush into anything!! LOL
JimmyB

Offline Khes74

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 12:52:22 PM »
The only review I have seen from a single person was negative, saying the  the kick pad broke and other shit.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 10:10:55 PM »
The only review I have seen from a single person was negative, saying the  the kick pad broke and other shit.
Hey Khes, I'm fairly indifferent about Alesis/InMusic, but I did post some positive feedback about the DM10 Mesh kit on their forum.
I guess other satisfied users haven't posted about it partly because it's not been available in the US where a majority of forum members live.
Btw, I'm interested to get your opinion of the latest mesh kits when they're released.

FYI, here's some info related to the current mesh pads:   
http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=5016.msg35207#msg35207

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:44:03 AM »
looks good - i regret getting into this too soon? it is almost a year since i began down this track...  still not set up
Hi Lightning.. I hear you.. I half wish they had the mesh out when I was purchasing a year and a half ago. I've done the mesh convert and love it but I would have still liked to have had a mesh setup that was stock. I'd like to play on one someday to see if there's a difference in feel and reaction. Mind you, I got my set on sale and with a rebate so saved 500 bucks. Sorry to hear you're still not quite configured. Sheesh, sucks.. I've rearranged my kit 7 times.. multiple configurations in the last year or so.. we gotta get you up and running young man!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 01:35:58 PM »
I guess I was blind or chose not to see... or was I just too early to read about the difference in acoustic noise... or at least I just didn't understand the impact of the acoustic noise on my ability to have fun!

2 weeks ago the ladies went out and I had my first real "drum session"... i played for 3 hours!

I started at about 6:30pm and played along to "whatever" came on my ipod in shuffle mode (with an agreement that I could only skip minimal songs - they had to be unsuitable)... i played cool stuff... I was made for loving you... by KISS... and that was when I discovered my unmapped tom made the match sound heard in that song! I played Will Smith - Jiggy wit it... Save a Horse by Big and Rich... Can You Feel It - The Jacksons, Rock n Roll Heart - Clapton, Feel Like Dancing - Leo Sayer, Copperhead Rd - Steve Earle, Back in Black-ACDC, Fight For Your Right - Beastie Boys, Footloose - Blake Shelton, Funkytown - Pseudo Echo, Ray Parker - Ghostbusters!, Turn Back Time - Cher, Jet - Wings... anyways... I played well into the darkness and did not get up to turn the lights on...

Fair to say that I did not hear the cellphone beep - and when I checked it some tim later there was a text from the neighbours... "can you play quieter please, the kids are going to bed"... so I stopped there... Upon going back to my dr_m_k_t the next day I note that heads of 2 drums are screwed - the nylon tips came off the sticks and I had punctured the skins in the darkness...

yay!

Offline AlanK

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 02:18:27 PM »
Ow! Sorry about the puncture wounds dude! That sucks! And from nylon too.. you'd think they'd stay in one piece. But wow, what an ecclectic group of songs you had shuffling there lol. Well done. I do that sometimes too.. hit shuffle and just go for it. Also have those inspirational practices when the wife's out and you go down and don't come up for a few hours (wait a minute! that sounds kinda kinky). For me I don't get flak from the neighbour (one house attached, I'm the end unit townhouse and my neighbours are fairly new.. got like 4 carpet munchers who shout and scream and run around banging and screaming so I kinda like making my own noise right back at em sometimes) but my thing is the wife will be calling/texting me or ringing the doorbell cuz she forgot to take a key and I sometimes don't notice it for a while.

As far as Kiss songs go I like to play along to She (from Dressed to Kill), Shock Me, Love Her All I Can, Cold Gin.. that kinda stuff from the older LPs. Love some good ol Johnny Winter like Still Alive & Well, Rock & Roll Hootchie Koo, Jumpin Jack Flash; some Doobies, some Allman Bros (like Jessica), Neil Young's Southern Man, Cortez, Cinnamon Girl, Ohio etc, Pink Flloyd's Division Bell stuff, Zep of course, some U2, Journey, Hoobastank, Gavin DeGraw, faster Blue Rodeo songs, Drops of Jupiter, Skynyrd, Maroon 5, Billy Talent, Evanescence, I'm all over the place.. lots of it is easy and lots I stumble through missing half the fills or hits but its fun

Offline Khes74

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 05:20:59 PM »
I guess I was blind or chose not to see... or was I just too early to read about the difference in acoustic noise... or at least I just didn't understand the impact of the acoustic noise on my ability to have fun!

2 weeks ago the ladies went out and I had my first real "drum session"... i played for 3 hours!

I started at about 6:30pm and played along to "whatever" came on my ipod in shuffle mode (with an agreement that I could only skip minimal songs - they had to be unsuitable)... i played cool stuff... I was made for loving you... by KISS... and that was when I discovered my unmapped tom made the match sound heard in that song! I played Will Smith - Jiggy wit it... Save a Horse by Big and Rich... Can You Feel It - The Jacksons, Rock n Roll Heart - Clapton, Feel Like Dancing - Leo Sayer, Copperhead Rd - Steve Earle, Back in Black-ACDC, Fight For Your Right - Beastie Boys, Footloose - Blake Shelton, Funkytown - Pseudo Echo, Ray Parker - Ghostbusters!, Turn Back Time - Cher, Jet - Wings... anyways... I played well into the darkness and did not get up to turn the lights on...

Fair to say that I did not hear the cellphone beep - and when I checked it some tim later there was a text from the neighbours... "can you play quieter please, the kids are going to bed"... so I stopped there... Upon going back to my dr_m_k_t the next day I note that heads of 2 drums are screwed - the nylon tips came off the sticks and I had punctured the skins in the darkness...

yay!

Did you get the Alesis stock mesh kit or the conversion? I wouldn't be surprised if the Alesis heads broke themselves.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 08:26:26 PM »
i have the realheads...

i forgot to mention the blister on my finger for the next 10 days!

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 05:53:36 AM »
Loosen your grip, you won't get blisters :-)
JimmyB

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 09:21:33 AM »
I also got the chance to play without the headphones last night. Old school big stereo speakers w/12" woofers for the music and Simmons SA 200 for the drums. Fun to play to the drum less tracks that are out there. Like being in a band without the attitudes and egos! And just loud enough to to cover the stock head tapping.

Offline Khes74

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 04:47:01 PM »
i have the realheads...

i forgot to mention the blister on my finger for the next 10 days!

Well the real heads are obviously going to break like any cheap plastic drum head. Granted yours didn't take that long.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:47:13 PM by Khes74 »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »
Just saw another official Alesis mesh kit video released a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwmWrOWAiOA

It sounds decent, looks like the mesh heads have great action and response.. I like the sensitivity adjustment knob on the pads, wonder how well they work

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 04:25:29 PM »
Loosen your grip, you won't get blisters :-)
JimmyB

thanks for the tip... i bought leather gloves!

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 06:00:14 PM »
So, I've had my DM10 Studio Mesh kit for a couple of weeks and love it so far.  The heads are quiet enough that I can sit down behind the kit any time and not get in trouble with the wife!  I played acoustic kits for years, so this is a huge change for both of us.  I've spent so much time behind that thing that I had to get rid of my old Tama throne in favor of a comfy Roc-n-Soc.  Much better..mmmhmm

I am still having a few issues with sounds dropping out (crash 2 and kick seem to be the worst when played together) and the ride bell isn't at all reliable.  I found some tips here that I'll try tonight to get that sorted out.  All in all, I'm happy with the purchase and look forward to years of e-drumming!
DM10 Studio Mesh Kit, 3 dogs and a fiance' who are all glad I got rid of the acoustic kit.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 12:15:02 AM »
Sounds dropping out - what are your trigger settings for those triggers? Avoid xtalk send and xtalk receive of 6 and especially 7 - it may lead to dropped notes.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »
You have to hunt for the sweat spot on the bell and then give it a good thwack!
JimmyB

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 02:04:14 AM »
I too have a new mesh kit, got it a few weeks ago, I understand the ride bell situation too but yeah a little tweaking and I got a sweet spot, as for the cutting out, I'm having the same issue but for me it's so far only if I blast beat my second crash (non choke one)  and the snare at the same time, after about 5 strikes the snare cuts out and yet neither of those two do the same with any other trigger, not that I've noticed at least. Even tried setting the crash to exactly the same as the first crash cymbal but still the snare will cut out.

But anyway, kit is still awesome and I already can't wait to add to it, starting with a Splash and a China then gonna look into the pro HI hats!

Offline Trondster

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 04:36:50 AM »
Brearc - see my comment above.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 08:07:15 PM »
I too have a new mesh kit, got it a few weeks ago, I understand the ride bell situation too but yeah a little tweaking and I got a sweet spot, as for the cutting out, I'm having the same issue but for me it's so far only if I blast beat my second crash (non choke one)  and the snare at the same time, after about 5 strikes the snare cuts out and yet neither of those two do the same with any other trigger, not that I've noticed at least. Even tried setting the crash to exactly the same as the first crash cymbal but still the snare will cut out.

But anyway, kit is still awesome and I already can't wait to add to it, starting with a Splash and a China then gonna look into the pro HI hats!

I bought the pro hats and used the original hi hat as a china.