Author Topic: Marc's drum build  (Read 6988 times)

Marc's drum build
« on: August 15, 2009, 02:19:20 PM »
I've decided to log my drum build here.  It will be a long road purchasing and assembling my new set.  I surely am open to suggestions as I've only had minimual success with DYI.  I'll list my requirements to have my ultimate set.
1. must be roadworthy
2. must use VST instruments.
3. must have the most playable snare I can build
4. must look exciting and professional.
  I will be using the Alesis Trigger IO for my TMI and base the triggers around this module.  The tom triggers will be double headed shallow toms and the bass will be a very large 26" shell with seperate trigger hidden inside.  I have many tools in my shop including a metal lathe, milling machine, metal bandsaw and woodworking tools.
 I also have an electronics background thats gone to waste.  So here's to a good build!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 02:27:12 PM by Marc Bergmueller »

Offline audiopat

Re: Marc's drum build
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Hey Mark, really looking forward to your build... It's such a reward building your own kit! Please feel free to ask any questions and post some pictures as you progress! 

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:15:46 PM »
  I now have a Trigger I/o on the way.  Bass drum is in the works.  My brother is a music teacher and might have a trashed marching bass drum for me for free.  I have lots off leftover Gibralter rack pieces to work with.   Right now I'm still stuck with my computer and sound card problems.  I have a lead on a used laptop that should be fast enough.
  I could use some advice on an external sound card.  Was looking into a presonus firebox.   Something else maybe?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:19:09 PM by Marc Bergmueller »

Offline rockdude

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:45:38 PM »
Hi Mark.

I shall follow your build with great interest!

I could use some advice on an external sound card.  Was looking into a presonus firebox.

Presonus Firebox is a good choice and has been proven to work well with Alesis Trigger IO.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »
I got my Trigger I/O last night but didn't play with it much.  I hooked it up to the wifes laptop, tried BFDlite(blaa) with ASIO4all and stock soundcard.  Latency was almost playable.   The Ebay Trigger I/O came with four replacement pintech piezos and foam column new in wrapper.  I didn't like my old pintech concertcast drums with a old TD8 so I probably won't use these for DIY.  Probablly go with the plate design.  Any opinions?

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:56:38 PM »
Tonight I loaded addictive drums in Minihost to save room on the laptop.  Works easy.  No clutter.  Still some latency with the stock sound card/ASIO4ALL.  Don't like my PD-105 as a snare, too much of a hot spot.  It could be a velocity setting on the I/O.  I guess my drums will be reflection plates.  Ordered my presonus firebox with a $20 off coupon.  Got it for $179.00 from Musicianfriend.
  I also have 2 ten inch shells and one 12 plus black hoops.  I'm looking for black double ended round lugs similar to DW's.  Anyone have a lead?  This is starting to move along.  I still have the TD 12, a large acoustic Tama Granstar kit, and some high end cymbals to sell for funds.  I think I'll break even on the new kit. :)

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
Tonight I loaded addictive drums in Minihost to save room on the laptop.  Works easy.  No clutter.  Still some latency with the stock sound card/ASIO4ALL.  Don't like my PD-105 as a snare, too much of a hot spot.  It could be a velocity setting on the I/O.  I guess my drums will be reflection plates.  Ordered my presonus firebox with a $20 off coupon.  Got it for $179.00 from Musicianfriend.
  I also have 2 ten inch shells and one 12 plus black hoops.  I'm looking for black double ended round lugs similar to DW's.  Anyone have a lead?  This is starting to move along.  I still have the TD 12, a large acoustic Tama Granstar kit, and some high end cymbals to sell for funds.  I think I'll break even on the new kit. :)
Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it turns out.

Offline KnipeDrums

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 02:42:35 PM »
Hi Marc, The lugs you are planning for your kit are called Hayman lugs, they are round and very similar to the Camco/DW George Way lugs. I know the lugs and where to get them but I have never seen them in black. I will look around for a supplier and point you in the right direction if I can. Good Luck with your project, Tom
Yamaha DtxTreme 3, Roland SPD30

www.KnipeDrums.com
www.DTXDrummers.com

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Thanks Tom, I've looked but to no avail.  I know you're a fan of wood, so you might not like my covering choice.  On the American  Music Drum Parts website they have a custom set like this

Offline KnipeDrums

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 02:42:13 PM »
Hey Marc, I have a wrapped kit for my ekit, I just always prefer wood when I am playing my acoustic kit. I think that wrap on that is cool.  I am thinking you could get the chrome Hayman lug and have them powder coated. I have looked around for that lug in black nickel and couldnt find it yet. I am still searching for you. Talk to you soon, Tom
Yamaha DtxTreme 3, Roland SPD30

www.KnipeDrums.com
www.DTXDrummers.com

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:02:04 AM »
Thanks Tom,  I might go double ended toaster style lugs.  I don't know but expect powder coating would be very expense.  But today I am a Happy boy.  I have my Firebox hooked up and working well.  I have to recommend the Minihost DAW.  It's so simple to get working, doesn't have a bunch of junk I don't need and there's not a ton of drop down menus.  Perfect for live, would suck for recording.  I credit it for letting me use my wifes under spec laptop.  Well of course, her too.

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 11:46:30 PM »
   Some of my shells and rims have arrived. :) I cut the 10"x12" in half and made some simple tube lugs for one on the lathe.  One sad note is the wrap I wanted is not available anymore.  Since orange is not too popular on a different site I guess I'll pick... Orange glass glitter with the black hardware.  It worked for Harley.

Offline rockdude

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 12:48:07 AM »
Don't forget to post some pictures :)

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »
   Some of my shells and rims have arrived. :) I cut the 10"x12" in half and made some simple tube lugs for one on the lathe.  One sad note is the wrap I wanted is not available anymore.  Since orange is not too popular on a different site I guess I'll pick... Orange glass glitter with the black hardware.  It worked for Harley.

Sounds great. I'm with rockdude, don't forget about the pictures. ;)

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »
heres some pics with home made lugs, will cover the lugs with heat shrink tubing.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 03:46:02 PM »
heres some pics with home made lugs, will cover the lugs with heat shrink tubing.
Those look great! Looks like you are using Pintech sensing foam. Great build you have there Marc.

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »
  Yes, pintech.  I have 4 that came with my Trigger IO.  I had pintech concert cast with my TD8 and didn't like them.  This is working better than my PD105, at least on the TD12