Author Topic: Setting up DM10 Studio w/ Cubase + SD 2.0  (Read 3073 times)

Setting up DM10 Studio w/ Cubase + SD 2.0
« on: February 24, 2013, 05:12:30 PM »
Hullo all,

I have been stalking this forum for...probably the last month and a half learning what I could before I purchased the DM10 and everything. Got it and got recording some stuff for a friend, but I must have missed something setting everything up:

-not all hits register in succession (snare single stroke rolls, toms and fancy stuff on the ride)

From what I've read, it's...probably because of xtalk and retrigger, no? The thing is, when I listen directly through the module, it's fine, when it gets recorded into Cubase + SD 2.0, it sounds all choppy and uneven. The quantization thing is set to 1/64 and it's not swung or anything.

Thank you all in advance, as I've said, I have been stalking this forum for a bit and I love the knowledge and willingness to help.

Offline vaikl

Re: Setting up DM10 Studio w/ Cubase + SD 2.0
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 06:43:49 PM »
Welcome johnny!

You should read the other half of our threads about MIDI :) Seriously, it *could* be the trigger settings on the module, but to verify you should also consider that SD has a internal MIDI mapping (pad <-> MIDI note) that is mostly different from the factory mapping on the module.

Do a search for "MIDI mapping Superior Drummer" (or the like) here in the forum and read in the SD manual about MIDI mapping files, what they do and where to place them.

Offline Met

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:56:46 AM »
Elaboratejohnny,

If you have adjusted Everything from sensitivity to xtalk and it works fine with the module, you shouldn't be too worried about the issue you're experiencing as most edrums are made to be optimized with its module but that doesn't mean it's the same when using it with softwares.

What i would suggest is, Set up Superior Drummer with Toontrack Solo first and see if it's the same issue occurring and we'll see from there.

I've tried doing drum rolls and i find it slightly more difficult to do due to the positioning of the triggers and the material used by Alesis, I mean lets face it, this ain't a high end edrum like the roland TD-30KV(What a Dream Drum) but it's a decent one for home/studio use, however hits must be slightly harder to make full use of the trigger. in my experience with the set, the fundamentals of drum rolls, cymbal swells just do not click well compared to a quality set from yamaha or roland due to their silicone heads which makes great for rolls/swells.

If you're  still having problem with the same issue, try asking around steinberg cubase forums if anyone has your setup that also has the issue or just google it first if the issue is known by users.

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 05:00:52 AM »
Hey Elaboratejohnny, welcome to the forums. It could be a quantization issue, especially something like 1/64ths, which means something will get plonked at an odd location on the grid that it would not have recording live. If you can't live without it, use the quantize function after recording and see if that helps.

Also, increase the recording buffer on your interface and see if that helps. A third issue sometimes related to the timestamp for midi code, since there could be some disconnect between the DM10 and Cubase's midi clock. Try the options for direct timestamp and system time stamp and see if either improves things.

- Reggae Mangle
Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:17:08 AM »
This is fantastic! Thank you for all the ideas. I will work on it a little tonight when I get home and update!

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:24:39 AM »
Alright, so it was the Quantization...I feel silly now. I couldn't figure out how to turn it off and nothing else was really providing much info. Then I found the button in Cubase.

Thank you all!

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »
Hehe! Good job! Remember! Quantization is our enemy! Otherwise we'd just program drums :)

- Reggae Mangle
Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup