Author Topic: Strike Module mystery note #31  (Read 582 times)

Strike Module mystery note #31
« on: January 15, 2021, 07:05:20 AM »
Hi there, guitarist wanna be drummer here....... ;D

I currently use the Alesis strike module partnered with Alesis Surge kit triggers plus an added floor tom and cymbal. Mainly for recording my own song drum beats with. This "problem" is more curiosity than problem but I have noticed that when I'm recording drum tracks into my DAW, on a MIDI track, a mysterious note #31 is recorded occasionally.

It doesn't seem to have any correlation to existing hits/notes and I might only get half a dozen in a three minute recording but they are there. I am curious as to where they are coming from. Looking through the note mapping of the Strike module (which is at default settings) there is no note #31. Everything else including CCs are recording as expected.

I can't see how it's being recorded if there's no supposed output from the module. It's not mapped to anything within my DAW. Due to the limitations (I think) of the Surge kits hi-hat I can't trigger the Strike's hi-hat edge and suspected that but the note mapping for that isn't #31 anyway. I should also add that the track  input is exclusive to the Strike module although it is recording all channels on that input. Having said that this mystery note is on channel 1 (strange default for a drum module??) as are all the other notes/hits suggesting that it must be coming from the module as opposed to anywhere else.

Any ideas about this mystery note? Thanks for any suggestions.....

Offline Chaser

Re: Strike Module mystery note #31
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 10:29:21 AM »

I currently use the Alesis strike module partnered with Alesis Surge kit triggers plus an added floor tom and cymbal. Mainly for recording my own song drum beats with. This "problem" is more curiosity than problem but I have noticed that when I'm recording drum tracks into my DAW, on a MIDI track, a mysterious note #31 is recorded occasionally.

It doesn't seem to have any correlation to existing hits/notes and I might only get half a dozen in a three minute recording but they are there. I am curious as to where they are coming from. Looking through the note mapping of the Strike module (which is at default settings) there is no note #31. Everything else including CCs are recording as expected.

I can't see how it's being recorded if there's no supposed output from the module. It's not mapped to anything within my DAW. Due to the limitations (I think) of the Surge kits hi-hat I can't trigger the Strike's hi-hat edge and suspected that but the note mapping for that isn't #31 anyway. I should also add that the track  input is exclusive to the Strike module although it is recording all channels on that input. Having said that this mystery note is on channel 1 (strange default for a drum module??) as are all the other notes/hits suggesting that it must be coming from the module as opposed to anywhere else.

I presume Global MIDI setting is OMNI and the individual VOICES are set at MIDI CHANNEL 1..
I don't know which Hi Hat you are using , since you mention the Surge then probably the Reahat pedal which is variable...the STRIKE Hi Hat is FSR...
MIDI NOTE #31 (G) is the Hi Hat SPLASH..If you don't Splash or have it assigned to anything go into UTILITY and turn it off.
UTILITY>TRIGGER...HIHAT SPLASH...NO SENT

Offline DannyM

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 12:22:26 PM »
Hello Chaser,
 Reading this thread, I too have a strike module, you answered a issue I had a few days ago,
 I use a dual 12' crash as my HH (after reading a response of yours to someone )and the foot pedal is from the original Command kit so it is a variable pedal as you say.

It sounds ok, I get the bow & edge to play correctly, but for the pedal  I cannot get a chick or splash to play,
Seeing what you wrote about the MIDI settings do you know how I can set it to play the splash or chick or what the notes are?
I am new to the module so I really have not changed too much on it. except s few trigger & tone settings.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 12:54:33 PM »

I presume Global MIDI setting is OMNI and the individual VOICES are set at MIDI CHANNEL 1..
I don't know which Hi Hat you are using , since you mention the Surge then probably the Reahat pedal which is variable...the STRIKE Hi Hat is FSR...
MIDI NOTE #31 (G) is the Hi Hat SPLASH..If you don't Splash or have it assigned to anything go into UTILITY and turn it off.
UTILITY>TRIGGER...HIHAT SPLASH...NO SENT

Thank you for that. That makes perfect sense. You're correct I am using the hihat from the Surge kit. I'm not sure if it's a limitation of some of the kits, my incompetence, or the hihat itself but in some kits it will splash and in others it has no affect.

Probably better like that, us guitarists are more used to dancing on pedal boards rather than making sounds with them.  ;D :P

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 02:23:42 PM »
Hello Chaser,
 Reading this thread, I too have a strike module, you answered a issue I had a few days ago,
 I use a dual 12' crash as my HH (after reading a response of yours to someone )and the foot pedal is from the original Command kit so it is a variable pedal as you say.

It sounds ok, I get the bow & edge to play correctly, but for the pedal  I cannot get a chick or splash to play,
Seeing what you wrote about the MIDI settings do you know how I can set it to play the splash or chick or what the notes are?
I am new to the module so I really have not changed too much on it. except s few trigger & tone settings.

The Realhat pedal is tricky..but when setup works really well..try moving your foot closer to the top when you do a sharp stab on the pedal for the splash.
Closer to the top puts more pressure on the rubber actuator.

Try to reduce the gap in travel as much as possible

5 MIN FIX

Then adjust the settings and experiment with the different curves..attached

Offline DannyM

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 08:37:48 PM »
Thanks so much Chaser !!
I just got home from work and going to go get into this !!

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 06:38:56 AM »
Thanks so much Chaser !!
I just got home from work and going to go get into this !!

I've done the pedal mod previously having seen something similar elsewhere. I used a chunk from a pencil rubber or eraser if you're not UK based. Superglued it to the bottom of the bracket that contacts the switch. It made the pedal a lot more responsive and less prone to double triggers for me. HTH