Author Topic: Cakewalk + SD3 playback double triggering? - FIXED  (Read 1815 times)

Offline iCe

Cakewalk + SD3 playback double triggering? - FIXED
« on: December 19, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
Hi all,

I got my converted kit up and running. I trigger sounds in Superior Drummer 3 via my DM10 module. I have Cakewalk running and after some fooling around found the settings to record. Now, something weird happens. When i play my kit, SD3 works fine. When i record, i see midi data appearing in the track. When i playback my recording, i get an echo on each en every hit. I did a simple one hit on each quarter note and what i hear back is a flam. I did one hit on each drum; i hear flams again.

It almost seems like Cakewalk is triggering SD3 again with a small amount of latency.

I've looking into several preferences in Cakewalk, SD3, SD3 as plugin and in my DM10 module, but i can't seem to find where i can fix this. Please help  ;D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:54:58 AM by iCe »
Alesis DM10 Studio kit with 682drums mesh heads
Asus F551MAV-BING-SX1008B - Laptop

Offline Chaser

Re: Cakewalk + SD3 playback double triggering?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 12:39:57 PM »
Hi all,

I got my converted kit up and running. I trigger sounds in Superior Drummer 3 via my DM10 module. I have Cakewalk running and after some fooling around found the settings to record. Now, something weird happens. When i play my kit, SD3 works fine. When i record, i see midi data appearing in the track. When i playback my recording, i get an echo on each en every hit. I did a simple one hit on each quarter note and what i hear back is a flam. I did one hit on each drum; i hear flams again.

It almost seems like Cakewalk is triggering SD3 again with a small amount of latency.

I've looking into several preferences in Cakewalk, SD3, SD3 as plugin and in my DM10 module, but i can't seem to find where i can fix this. Please help  ;D

Do you have input/echo on?

Controlling live MIDI playback—MIDI echo

Offline iCe

Re: Cakewalk + SD3 playback double triggering?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 02:33:01 PM »
Yes, but... when i turn it off i don't hear anything in Cakewalk or see any midinotes being recorded. But when i playback the apparently empty recording, i hear sounds in SD3 being recorded and exactly what i just played  :o

When i turn echo in the preferences menu back on again, i get the midi echo over my recording.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 02:43:18 PM by iCe »

Offline iCe

Re: Cakewalk + SD3 playback double triggering? - FIXED
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 11:59:27 AM »
I figured out what caused the echo: when i load SD3 in Cakewalk, there is a track that didn't make sense to me. Track 19. I don't know (yet) what it is for, but when i check all channels to record except that one i don't get an echo in my recording. I recorded something and it works like a charm now!

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 02:28:23 PM »
I wonder if you've separated out each of the kitpieces in Cakewalk from your Superior mappings, but track 19 was the original "all in one" track/channel.. so you'd hear the summation of all your individual channels plus the base channel that had everything, giving an echo? Just a theory, Watson...
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 03:50:08 PM »
I figured out what caused the echo: when i load SD3 in Cakewalk, there is a track that didn't make sense to me. Track 19. I don't know (yet) what it is for, but when i check all channels to record except that one i don't get an echo in my recording. I recorded something and it works like a charm now!

When learning a DAW it's all about developing/learning workflow.Everyone develops their own to what suits them.I see you are using separate tracks for an instrument.
You can build one track that has everything combined...Check

BUILDING AN INSTRUMENT TRACK

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:54:04 PM by Chaser »

Offline iCe

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 01:25:23 AM »
I wonder if you've separated out each of the kitpieces in Cakewalk from your Superior mappings, but track 19 was the original "all in one" track/channel.. so you'd hear the summation of all your individual channels plus the base channel that had everything, giving an echo? Just a theory, Watson...

Yeah, i guess that is why i heard an echo. I'm a total n00b when it comes to DAW and VST's. Recorded some acoustic drums in Cubase LE5 this year and i see that as my epic achievement haha

Offline iCe

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 01:29:07 AM »

When learning a DAW it's all about developing/learning workflow.Everyone develops their own to what suits them.I see you are using separate tracks for an instrument.
You can build one track that has everything combined...Check

BUILDING AN INSTRUMENT TRACK

Thanks! Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but track #2 has all the separate inputs from SD3. When i load SD3, it automatically routes all the outputs to track #2 and i call all those inputs 'sub-tracks'. So all the inputs are there. I'll need to rename them though, so it's much easier so see which input is what (it now is all listed as Superior Drummer etc.). But this is really easy; i insert SD3 and Cakewalk sets all the inputs for me.

But i think what you're saying is that i can make for each SD3 output a separate track?