Author Topic: DM10 Custom User Kit & Instrument Downloads Area (sysex or DMeditor files)  (Read 83432 times)

Offline DB

Re: DM10 Custom User Kit & Instrument Downloads Area (sysex or DMeditor files)
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »
Am I missing it, or are people just not posting DMeditor files to the forum? This would be a great resource if people were actually sharing custom kits.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
Am I missing it, or are people just not posting DMeditor files to the forum? This would be a great resource if people were actually sharing custom kits.
I'm sure there are many reason why this hasn't taken off. I believe one of the main reasons is because most users don't (or can't for what ever reason) make custom kits themselves. If that's the case, only a hand full of users would be able to make kits and everyone else just takes the kits. That's not much of an incentive to make and post kits for the very few people who can actually make good kits (Which I estimate on this forum to be about 5-10 users and that is because of the level of understanding of the DM10 one must have in order to make great sounding kits). It's great for those that find it a problem to create their own kits. Just come here and download some, but for the few that make them they aren't getting any new kits.  I think another big reason is Alesis themselves. They just don't show case general users and what can be done with a DM10 kit.

Offline DB

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2013, 03:11:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense. The module has so much potential. It's too bad Alesis hasn't let it fly as high as it could.

Offline RZ

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2013, 06:53:55 PM »
I'm sure there are many reason why this hasn't taken off. I believe one of the main reasons is because most users don't (or can't for what ever reason) make custom kits themselves. If that's the case, only a hand full of users would be able to make kits and everyone else just takes the kits. That's not much of an incentive to make and post kits for the very few people who can actually make good kits (Which I estimate on this forum to be about 5-10 users and that is because of the level of understanding of the DM10 one must have in order to make great sounding kits). It's great for those that find it a problem to create their own kits. Just come here and download some, but for the few that make them they aren't getting any new kits.  I think another big reason is Alesis themselves. They just don't show case general users and what can be done with a DM10 kit.

Your comments got me to thinking.  When I bought my Pod X3 (and my Pod XT before it), one of the best perks was the user created sounds that were offered for free by members.  While I could rifle around with settings and save a few here and there, why not use the ones people with a better ear have created?  What do those people get in return?  They get the satisfaction and appreciation from their peers as they add those custom sounds to their Pod module's user spaces.  I have added many a fantastic guitar and bass sound to my pod thanks to those creative types who don't mind sharing their brilliance. 

Offline Guinness

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »
I'm sure there are many reason why this hasn't taken off. I believe one of the main reasons is because most users don't (or can't for what ever reason) make custom kits themselves. If that's the case, only a hand full of users would be able to make kits and everyone else just takes the kits. That's not much of an incentive to make and post kits for the very few people who can actually make good kits (Which I estimate on this forum to be about 5-10 users and that is because of the level of understanding of the DM10 one must have in order to make great sounding kits).

Wow...  5-10 users make their own kits?  That seems low to me.  There's not one stock kit that I like in it's entirety.  Making a custom kit is the only way to fly.  :)   And it's not that difficult.   Hmm...

Online Hellfire

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »
I'm sure there are many reason why this hasn't taken off. I believe one of the main reasons is because most users don't (or can't for what ever reason) make custom kits themselves. If that's the case, only a hand full of users would be able to make kits and everyone else just takes the kits. That's not much of an incentive to make and post kits for the very few people who can actually make good kits (Which I estimate on this forum to be about 5-10 users and that is because of the level of understanding of the DM10 one must have in order to make great sounding kits).

Wow...  5-10 users make their own kits?  That seems low to me.  There's not one stock kit that I like in it's entirety.  Making a custom kit is the only way to fly.  :)   And it's not that difficult.   Hmm...

I'm sure there are more than 10 users that make their own kits, but really good kits require a certain level of understanding of the DM10 that goes above just knowing how to dial in a couple parameters. When users get to that level, they can sometimes spend hours (maybe even a couple of days) just making one kit that sounds great.

BTW, I consider you as one of the 5-10 users on this site (just in case you are wondering).  ;)

BTW again, Welcome back to the fold Guinness.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2013, 02:25:27 PM »

BTW again, Welcome back to the fold Guinness.

Thanks bud.

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2014, 02:47:13 AM »
I'm attempting to load DeeDubs .sys file with the module in "MIDI Restore Waiting" mode, but I continue to receive the error you see in the attachment.

Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2014, 02:07:56 PM »
Guiness, Do you have any updated sysx files you would like to share?  I could grab the one from 2011, but wanted to ask ya anyhow.

Thanks!
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09:35 PM »
OK. I saved my sysx file out and loaded deedubs. worked like a charm except I had crazy cross talk, threshold, and sensitivity settings. I had limited time to mess with the settings (VDay dinner with the missus), but I think I can manage it. I really like the No Excuses kit, Hot N Chili, and Shiny.

Now I get why people don't post their setting as one setup might not be right for another due to numerous variables, but it's a great start.

Thanks.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2014, 07:54:09 AM »
OK. I saved my sysx file out and loaded deedubs. worked like a charm except I had crazy cross talk, threshold, and sensitivity settings. I had limited time to mess with the settings (VDay dinner with the missus), but I think I can manage it. I really like the No Excuses kit, Hot N Chili, and Shiny.

Now I get why people don't post their setting as one setup might not be right for another due to numerous variables, but it's a great start.

Thanks.

There is a way around this. What you need to do before you install any body else's sysx file is back up your own trigger settings as a separate sysx file. When you install a users sysx kit files, re-install your trigger settings after install the new user kits.

BTW, loading just trigger settings is a little different on the DM10 than the whole kit loading process. You don't have to put the DM10 in the midi message receive mode. Just turn your module on while plugged into your computer and send the sysx file of just your trigger settings. Once you do that you will need to hit the store button on the DM10 so it holds the re-intalled trigger parameters. Now what you can do is save the entire contents of the DM10 (full backup) back to your computer. Now anytime you install that back up, your trigger parameters are with it.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 10:54:21 AM »
Sweet! I will have to give that a try.

• So the the order of operations:
    Load my original sysx file.
    Save my trigger settings to a separate sysx file.
    Re-load Dee dubs
    Load my trigger setting from my trigger backup,
Correct or can I just load the trigger settings from my original backup?
Is saving the trigger setting to a separate sysx file different from a full module backup?

I'm attempting to load DeeDubs .sys file with the module in "MIDI Restore Waiting" mode, but I continue to receive the error you see in the attachment.

Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

I had the same issue. You have to change your input/output mappings. There should only be 1 input [USB], and 1 output [USB]. Right-click on the input 'MIDI OX Event Port', and select "Disconnect Input Port".

\\See attached//

I've got a few kits that I'm working on that I plan on uploading once I'm done tweaking them (and after I get more familiar with the dmeditor program). I also plan to record some sound and/or video samples of the kits. I think being able to preview what the kits sound like would make people more likely to get involved in swapping kits. Anybody have any sound samples of their own custom kits that they'd like to share?

Online Hellfire

Sweet! I will have to give that a try.

• So the the order of operations:
    Load my original sysx file.
    Save my trigger settings to a separate sysx file.
    Re-load Dee dubs
    Load my trigger setting from my trigger backup,
Correct or can I just load the trigger settings from my original backup?
Is saving the trigger setting to a separate sysx file different from a full module backup?
I just realized I never answered back to this.

Yes, the "trigger settings to a separate sysx file" is different from a full backup. Loading a full backup into your DM10 (just to get the trigger settings) will wipe out any new custom kits that are not in your backup. That's why Alesis gives you the ability to save just your trigger settings as a separate sysx file.

This technique is very important if people are truly going to swap module files. I assume this was a compromise on the Alesis end because their is no single kit backup method with the DM10 (which is why DMeditor was made).

Offline Th3R00st3r

Cool. Thanks HF!

Elusive..can't wait to hear them.

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2014, 01:01:29 PM »
Hi guys, Im a litle confused here. Are you adding custom sounds to this kits? or are those created with stock/blueJay?

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
Hi guys, Im a litle confused here. Are you adding custom sounds to this kits? or are those created with stock/blueJay?
I think it's about creating custom kits, using modified stock sounds, due to the tweakabillity of the module and the addiction of the owners!

Offline rhysT

Re: DM10 Custom User Kit Downloads Area
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2014, 04:40:33 AM »
What's a typical size for a Sysex All Memory backup file with the 100 preset kits copied to the extra 100 User kits (for tweaking). Mine is currently 454kB and it took about 2.5 mins to transfer using Midiox?
The DM10_sound_rom-V1.03 file is 162kB (& triggers_V1.00a, 15kB), so I'm wondering why mine is so different especially compared to the Guinness sysex file size?

Here's my sound file.

I don't think I've tweaked any of the stock kits for the most part.  But did create a few:  101-109

The ACDC kit is pretty good, imo.  But my current favorite is 108 and 109.  109 is the same as 108, but with a lower level snare rim, and tom1 rim.  There's a 'freebird' kit in there that I was using for 70's tunes; but I think I changed the snare to wood pop's, and never changed it back.  The metallica kit was just a work in progress and needs tweaking.

anyways... check it out if you want:

1.5.11 Sysex Dump.syx (25.86 kB - downloaded 137 times.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:51:35 AM by rhysT »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2014, 07:52:26 AM »
What's a typical size for a Sysex All Memory backup file with the 100 preset kits copied to the extra 100 User kits (for tweaking). Mine is currently 454kB and it took about 2.5 mins to transfer using Midiox?
The DM10_sound_rom-V1.03 file is 162kB (& triggers_V1.00a, 15kB), so I'm wondering why mine is so different especially compared to the Guinness sysex file size?

Since you used all 100 user kit locations, I'd say that sounds about correct. I've only made about 10 kits and my sysex dump is 222kB. It just depends on how much is to each kit. If you use a lot of Layer A&B stuff with some velocity filtering in there, it will start to climb in size.

Re: DeeDubs Dump: DM10 Custom User Kit Downloads Area
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »
Cool, I look forward to hearing those.  Per VH, which kit though?   Alex has very different sounds over the years.  Compare Poundcake to Jump to Unchained, for example.  Which album would you try to emulate?
For VH, well 1984 of course. As for the other ones. I like the sound of KISS for the Love Gun album. RATT, Round and Round song. Def Leppard, right now I'm thinking Hysteria, but I also like Pyromania. Journey is a tough one, not sure yet on that one.

On 5150, didn't Alex use a drum machine or edrums? I remember hearing Eddie Trunk say something about that on That Metal Show.
DM10X mesh/foam conversion, Trigger IO, 8 piece, 7 cymbals, Roland Hi-Hat, Laurin Snare, Roland Rim Trigger, Addictive Drummer 2

Offline rhysT

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »

Since you used all 100 user kit locations, I'd say that sounds about correct. I've only made about 10 kits and my sysex dump is 222kB. It just depends on how much is to each kit. If you use a lot of Layer A&B stuff with some velocity filtering in there, it will start to climb in size.

Thanks HF, and yes I've been adding various Layer B snare & cymbal sounds, etc which was one reason for getting the DM10 kit.

At least now I'm more confident of dealing with a potential module reconfig crisis.

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2014, 06:00:57 PM »
The size corresponds somewhat with the number of kits, but there's something else that influences it, too. When I was testing things for DMEditor, I'd change one parameter from a 100% stock setup and see it jump significantly in size. Change a different kit and it would barely go up, but make another couple changes and it would grow again.

I think that the sysex files might actually be memory dumps of the module, which is why they're so difficult to decode consistently. That's a completely unfounded theory, though... I could be (and probably am) wrong.

Hi sorry to ask , but i am confuse this is only settings the sounds are the same , or can the sounds be updated to? , i was thinking on buy a dm10 module but a move to a raspberry pi project because i didn't find any way to add other sounds with better quality to dm10.
sorry its a noob question but i am a noob  in this matter.
thanks 

Offline Khes74

Hi sorry to ask , but i am confuse this is only settings the sounds are the same , or can the sounds be updated to? , i was thinking on buy a dm10 module but a move to a raspberry pi project because i didn't find any way to add other sounds with better quality to dm10.
sorry its a noob question but i am a noob  in this matter.
thanks

So the Dm10 can load an entire new soundset called Blue Jay. If you want other sounds you would have to use a VSTi plugin like Addictive Drums 2, Superior Drummer 2 or BFD3

I would advise against a Dm10, it lacks many features such as velocity on switch zones.