Author Topic: DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad  (Read 110486 times)

Offline Hellfire

Re: DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »
First I would like to say thank you for the great site. I am a drummer who believes electronic drums are the wave of the future and totally blow acoustic away.

I have a problem. I just bought the DM10 studio kit that comes with the DM10 studio module.

I also bought a  USB kit from alesis with the trigger IO.

Can (and if it can be done how?) Do I tell the DM10 module (which I connected via midi) to recognize the USB kit's pads and assign them different sounds?

I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

I want to make 1 monster kit and have the IO trigger additional sounds from the DM10 module.

Is it possible? and if so how? (I would like to tell you in answering me- youre a life saver! lol Ive been racking my head for a week. lol)
Welcome to the forum Yeshai. The answer to your questions are right here in the topic in which you posted. Please read through this topic and you will get your answers. Again, welcome to the forum.

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 02:46:35 PM »
I must be missing something. My apologies. I am a programmer/web developer/designer by day and I still do not see how to do this. I have the IO plugged into the DM10 as your chart shows via MIDI however when going through channels in the MIDI section of the DM10 the USB IO kit is picking up DM10 sounds.

And when altered they change the DM10 kit's sounds. frustrating to say the least. lol

Do you know what channels to use or how to set up the io usb kit in addtion to the DM10? thanks :)

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »
I must be missing something. My apologies. I am a programmer/web developer/designer by day and I still do not see how to do this. I have the IO plugged into the DM10 as your chart shows via MIDI however when going through channels in the MIDI section of the DM10 the USB IO kit is picking up DM10 sounds.

And when altered they change the DM10 kit's sounds. frustrating to say the least. lol

Do you know what channels to use or how to set up the io usb kit in addtion to the DM10? thanks :)
First off, by hooking the Trigger I/O up to the DM10, the DM10 will be the sound source. Next your Trigger I/O needs to be set to the same midi channel as the DM10. Which mostly like is channel 10. I'm going to assume you saw this post:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=92.msg3540#msg3540 to hook up the trigger I/O to the DM10. You next will need the info in this post:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=92.msg3469#msg3469.

In the chart provided in that post are the midi note numbers you will need to set up in you Trigger I/O. The midi numbers you need to use are the one listed under "MIDI IN" on the chart. You will need to change each trigger zone in the Trigger I/O to one of those notes. Each zone must be a different note value. Once you have that set up in the Trigger I/O you can now assign any sound you want to that midi note in the DM10. To do that you must press the "INST" button and then the "F1" (INST) to bring up the instrument menu. Using the scroll wheel, turn it until you reach "MIDI#37". This is the first assignable note. Which ever trigger zone you set on your Trigger I/O for midi#37 will play the sound that is set to it in this DM10 menu. Repeat for each midi note. I hope that helps.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing this Monster kit.  Hopefully, you'll be able to post a picture or video.  :)

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »
I will try and send pics too. :) I used to have a 49 piece kit made of 6 DM5 kits and 2 Yahama kits. I have pics of that kit too. thanks for your help. let you know how it goes. :)

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 06:28:13 PM »
I used to use my Trigger I/O as the input interface for my DMPro. I mounted the Trigger I/O mounted to the rack and I had a small/short 1/4" snake for my kit and ran a long MIDI cable to the DMPro. That way, my rack mounted components could be elsewhere and my riser was clean.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 02:14:41 PM »

I got the I/O to connect and work with the DM10, now I am trying to connect as the diagram says with the pad in the middle. I have the pad connected to the DM10 but I cannot get the I/O to connect through the pad to the DM10.

Any suggestions?

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 02:41:34 PM »
Wow!! Nice kit!!  8)
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 03:07:49 PM »
I have 5 more real cymbals that have been modded for electronic kits and this is only half- I'll post pics of the whole thing when I'm done.

I'm trying to get mike portnoy over to my place to jam. lol

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2010, 03:43:17 PM »
does anyone know how to hook the IO to the Pad then to the DM10?

The pad works, but the IO is not working when I attempt this.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 05:57:29 PM »
The pad works, but the IO is not working when I attempt this.

Did you make sure that both, the TriggerI/O and the Control Pad, are sending all their MIDI notes on the same MIDI channel? If i take a look into the Pad manual then only the Kits with "GM" in their names are sending over MIDI channel 10, all others use channel 1.

And, of course, the triggers from I/O and Pad must have different MIDI *notes* according to HFs table.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 08:18:03 PM »
Normally, when a midi device has a "Midi In" port and a "Midi Out" port you can send midi in and out through the device. Well, I just got done looking at the manual for the Alesis Control Pad with a fine tooth comb and discover something I didn't pay attention to before. Page 5 of the manual:

MIDI IN PORT
Use a five-pin MIDI cable to connect the OUTPUT of another ControlPad to this
MIDI IN port.  The ControlPad will function as a MIDI interface and send the
incoming MIDI data through the USB port. This input will show up on your
computer as “USB Audio Device [2]” or “USB Audio Device [2] [Emulated]”.

I guess that means that it doesn't send it back out the "Midi Out"? I can honestly say I have never heard of a midi device that had both ports and didn't send the "Midi In" data back out the "Midi Out". I guess there is a first for everything. ::) :P

In light of this new info the graphic will have to change. A midi merge box is going to be necessary for this set-up to work. Here's what the set-up should look like at this point:

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:21:51 PM by Hellfire »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
It doesn't surprise me that much. A lot of newer outgear/sound or controller hardware that has MIDI I/O ports doesn't have a "real" MIDI interface with MIDI through anymore but rely on MIDI-over-USB.

The old-fashioned MIDI chain is nearly replaced with a star-shaped USB structure with the PC in the middle because USB can transport up to 16 complete independent MIDI busses, each with the normal 16 channels and MIDI hardware ports on a standard home computer are still an add-on (beside the old Atari or Commodore;-).

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »
...(beside the old Atari or Commodore;-).
The old Atari ST days. I remember wishing I could get my hands on a Hotz box;) Those were the days.

Offline Wolfsong

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »
Hi all,

I have a related question.....what I asked for (birthday presents) was a control pad and an IO.....what I actually got was an IO and a performance pad.  Can I connect the performance pad to the DM10 via the IO to expand my sounds?  I'm kinda confused about how to do this.... :-\
Multi-instrumentalist.  I didn't even know there was a word for what I am.  Among other things.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2010, 04:08:37 PM »
Hi all,

I have a related question.....what I asked for (birthday presents) was a control pad and an IO.....what I actually got was an IO and a performance pad.  Can I connect the performance pad to the DM10 via the IO to expand my sounds?  I'm kinda confused about how to do this.... :-\
That depends on the performance pad. Since this is done through midi you will need to look in the performance pad manual and see if it can handle midi thru data and if you can change the midi note numbers of each pad. If I have some time I will look in the manual, but you can do that yourself as well. I hope that helps.

Offline Wolfsong

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
It's an alesis performance pad. Do they make more than one?

By the way I am checking out the manual....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:05:20 PM by Wolfsong »
Multi-instrumentalist.  I didn't even know there was a word for what I am.  Among other things.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 09:55:18 AM »
It's an alesis performance pad. Do they make more than one?

By the way I am checking out the manual....
I'm not 100% sure if this will work, but if I'm reading the manual correctly, I think you should be able to do this. You will need a midi merge box for your two midi devices (i.e. Trigger I/O & Performance Pad). On page 36 of the Performance Pad manual (section 6.3) describes how to set the pads to transmit data via midi. Make sure you turn this on.

I didn't see anything in the manual about setting the midi notes per pad. If that is the case, chances are that the sound selection for each pad has a midi note attached to it. I don't know for sure (meaning you will have to try it to find out), but I think by changed the associated sound of a pad on the Performance Pad may change the midi note value. The way to test this is, plug the Performance Pad's midi out into the midi in of the DM10. Change the sounds for a given pad on the Performance Pad while you are hit that pad, and see if the sound form the DM10 changes. If the sounds from the DM10 change, then that means sounds in the Performance Pad are tied to midi notes and you should be able to use the Performance Pad with your set-up. I hope that helps.

Offline Wolfsong

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 10:47:41 AM »
Hey, thanks for checking that out for me.  I've got an old rack-mount midi merge box that might do the trick.  If not, I guess I'll have to bug Santa yet again  ;D
Oh yeah, I checked out the pad manual and also didn't see anything about changing midi note values.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:02:18 AM by Wolfsong »

Offline Hellfire

DM10 Expansion w/ Trigger I/O & SDMP1
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 11:00:48 AM »
BIG UPDATE!!!!!

Many of you know that the Control Pad is getting harder to find (for what ever reason). It has also come to our attention that the Control Pad does not have "Midi Thru". This prompted the "Midi Merger" box to be added to the diagram above (a few posts up).

A few weeks back I had a chance to play around with the Simmons SDMP1 at the store. I found that the rubber used on the SDMP1 feels better than the Alesis Control/Performance Pads and the SDMP1 comes standard with ten pads instead of Alesis's eight pads. Simmons has just put up on there site a more complete manual for the SDMP1, which was lacking at the time I tried it out. Now (meaning this morning), I have had the time to look over the new manual and found that the trigger pads of the SDMP1 can have the midi notes assigned to each one of the pads (I did not know this at the time I tried it out). In addition, the midi out jack has midi thru support (which needs to be turned on inside the SDMP1). What this means is, no midi merger box is need when using the SDMP1.

The one draw back is the SDMP1 is a little more expensive than the Alesis Control Pad (SDMP1 $250.00 vs Control Pad $159.00), but it can do a lot more. A couple other things to note. Here is the link to the expanded manual SDMP1 Advanced Manual. And here is a link to the PC interface software for the SDMP1, SDMP1 Software. Here is the software manual, SDMP1 Software Supplement Guide.
BTW, Here is a new diagram:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:07:13 AM by Hellfire »

Offline Wolfsong

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2010, 11:48:13 AM »
The control pad is actually just about IMPOSSIBLE to find.  That's why my son ended up getting me the performance pad instead.  He didn't understand what I actually needed it for and was told by the sales person that the performance pad is "better".  I'm sure I'll still be able to use it, but still.....

scottdiver

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 04:05:34 AM »
In the manual, I forget which page (it's near the MIDI section). It shows the note mappings for the performance pad. As far as I can tell, they cannot be changed. Of course, I could be wrong :)

What I did was change my note mappings on my other devices.

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 09:47:23 AM »
Can anyone who owns the ControlPad verify that "Tympani" is one of the voices on board.

scottdiver

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 09:12:17 PM »
The Control Pad does not have any sounds on board. It is just a trigger.

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
I have a performance pad and I have hooked it to the dm10 and it works but the channels on the pad mimic some of the drum triggers IE: pad number 5 is bass drum and if I change it the bass drum on the kit changes also... I have messed and messed with the dm10 changing all that I know (which isn't much) and no luck  Someone please help me I need a detailed explanation on how to fix this because I'm an idiot