Author Topic: Alesis Strike Performance Module with old Trigger I/O  (Read 621 times)

Alesis Strike Performance Module with old Trigger I/O
« on: September 29, 2020, 10:09:15 PM »
Hi, I have an Alesis Trigger I/O set, the smaller brother to the DM10 when those first came out.  I have 2 issues, the hi-hat and pedal, and the limited expand-ability.  I would like to know if its possible to link up the Trigger I/O with a brand new Strike Performance Module, and be able to expand my kit with an x-hat or some type of variable hi-hat as such, and then a few more cymbals or drums/pads.  The Trigger I/O has a limitation with the hi-hat pedal, with a constant 'chick' velocity/volume, doesn't feel realistic, and want to upgrade and expand.

So, linking up Trigger I/O to Strike Performance Module?  Via MIDI right?  Possible or rather confirmed someone has this working or tried it?

Offline Chaser

Re: Alesis Strike Performance Module with old Trigger I/O
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 10:57:58 PM »
Hi, I have an Alesis Trigger I/O set, the smaller brother to the DM10 when those first came out.  I have 2 issues, the hi-hat and pedal, and the limited expand-ability.  I would like to know if its possible to link up the Trigger I/O with a brand new Strike Performance Module, and be able to expand my kit with an x-hat or some type of variable hi-hat as such, and then a few more cymbals or drums/pads.  The Trigger I/O has a limitation with the hi-hat pedal, with a constant 'chick' velocity/volume, doesn't feel realistic, and want to upgrade and expand.

So, linking up Trigger I/O to Strike Performance Module?  Via MIDI right?  Possible or rather confirmed someone has this working or tried it?

You don't mention what you are using with the Trigger I/O....drum module?...software? ...the Trigger I/O has no sound or MIDI IN for expansion...it is strictly a TMI.

The STRIKE module isn't expandable...there are no extra MIDI notes to have Triggers/Voices assigned to them...the most you can do is split the Triggers and it would make no sense to use the STRIKE module as the sound engine for the Trigger I/O.
The original DM10 was one of the few modules that is expandable DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 02:37:38 PM »
What other modules besides the DM10 would be expandable?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 04:30:43 PM »
What other modules besides the DM10 would be expandable?

As far as Alesis goes..None..The Pearl Redbox should also be similar but it is basically a re-branded/licensed DM10 with "2.0" firmware allowing you to add soundsets.I am not familiar with any Roland modules that can expand triggers using MIDI but you can always check over at V-Drums.
E-Drum developers didn't go into that direction.."expandable" these days means adding Sounds/Voices..not additional triggers , so that's something to watch for when purchasing and whether or not you can add your own sounds/voices or you have to purchase theirs (specific formats.)

There are some advanced MIDI tricks if a module has a GM section and accepts program changes..has the ability to re-assign MIDI notes or turn off the MIDI notes in the main "Digital" section and re-assign those to the GM section (requires GM mapping) and you would be using the sounds/voices from both sections simultaneously and switch banks/kits using program changes , however you wouldn't have access to the GM Voices for editing and depending on the module... you may run short on polyphony.

expand my kit with an x-hat or some type of variable hi-hat as such, and then a few more cymbals or drums/pads.  The Trigger I/O has a limitation with the hi-hat pedal, with a constant 'chick' velocity/volume, doesn't feel realistic, and want to upgrade and expand.

If you are referring to the Pro-X Hi Hat (FSR) ..it is discontinued and single zone.
The Trigger I/O accepts either a single or dual zone Hi Hat.. so by using a Pro-X you would lose a zone.

You don't mention which Hi Hat pedal you are using.
The Trigger I/O hi-hat control input works with both continuous (variable) and switch-style (open-closed) hi-hat pedals.

I haven't yet tested a FSR Hi hat (Pro-X,STRIKE) with the Trigger I/O.
The DM10 and DM8 modules the Pro-X was designed for had to have a Firmware update in order for it to work properly.
There were a few that tested the Trigger I/O with the Roland VH-12 years ago..but the range is completely different than Alesis.