Author Topic: Cover: GnR - Rocket Queen  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Guinness

Cover: GnR - Rocket Queen
« on: May 07, 2010, 03:01:50 AM »
Damm, it's midnight.  I gotta get some sleep.

Anyways, here's my first attempt at doing a drum cover video.  I really need to get some drumless tracks.  :)  And more tape (that'll make sense when you watch the video.   :D )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvC_Zu6WlMk

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:05:09 AM by Guinness »

Offline Pier

Re: Cover: GnR - Rocket Queen
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:27:13 AM »
Nice shot Guinness!  ;)
I agree that a LITTLE more tape would have been great to watch...
* ;D* (crap!) * ;D*

Rock'n Roll ! 8)

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:23:51 AM »
Thanks guys. 

This cracked me up:

:D   :D

Offline ghostman

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 11:59:18 AM »
One thing I noticed in the vid, and the others, is that your crash cymbals are awful high up.  At least for me.  And for the longest time, I didn't see your ride - until you played it.  Good vid, mostly, except for the audio only part.  GnR's not my fav band, but it's always fun seeing someone enjoy their drumming.

was that too critical?  ::)
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 12:25:56 PM »
One thing I noticed in the vid, and the others, is that your crash cymbals are awful high up.  At least for me.  And for the longest time, I didn't see your ride - until you played it.  Good vid, mostly, except for the audio only part.  GnR's not my fav band, but it's always fun seeing someone enjoy their drumming.

was that too critical?  ::)

Thanks.   "was that too critcal?"   Umm no...  You could tell me how bad I suck, and it won't bother me much.   So, don't worry 'bout it.  :)

Cyms don't feel too high to me.  I am 6' tall, so maybe that has something to do with it.   AND, the video angle may be deceiving as to placement.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 01:49:42 PM »
Nice Vid Guinness!!

Don't beat yourself up - everyone screws up - it's all in the recovery!

the end message made my day ;)

BTW I got a gig tonight and hope to have some useable footage ;)
anything anyone want to see?? I'll try to go through my setup and you can laugh at some of the Jimmy-Riggin goin on.

I also got a few fun kits that I threw together to test out.. lets see what happens!

~D
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 02:08:14 PM »
Nice Vid Guinness!!

Don't beat yourself up - everyone screws up - it's all in the recovery!

the end message made my day ;)

Thanks!  If I was beating myself up, I wouldn't have posted the video.  :)  I'm cool with mistakes... even running out of tape.   That still makes me laugh.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone!

anything anyone want to see?? I'll try to go through my setup and you can laugh at some of the Jimmy-Riggin goin on.

I also got a few fun kits that I threw together to test out.. lets see what happens!

Yes... post some footage.  :)

Offline Pier

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 06:15:58 AM »
Hi Guinness,

just a quick question since we're on the subject of videos...
Does your camera have a stereo audio external input?
Or... do you someway add sync audio to the video section after the taping?
Thanks; I'm asking 'cause I could be interested in making some short DM10 videos

Offline Guinness

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
I spent a few frustrating days figuring that out Pier.  And have most of it documented in threads somewhere  ???  in here.

To answer your question, no my camcorder does NOT have an input jack for audio.

I record the video, while my computer (specifically, Adobe Audition 1.5) records the audio.   that's one reason why I can get high quality sound on my videos.
Then I dump the video and it's audio into Adobe Premier Pro 1.5.  Import the the drum audio track, sync it, then delete or mute the video's audio parts.  there's more slicing and dicing going on, but that's basically what I do.

Offline Pier

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 02:33:11 PM »
Thanks so much Guinness,

your reply depicts perfectly how to approach the thing.
Maybe one day I'll get into it... for now I'm still tweaking my triggers. Lots of work still to do.

Thanx & Cheers  :)

Offline Guinness

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 03:07:51 PM »

~D

Well...   How did it go?

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »

Well...   How did it go?

The show went well. We blew the fuse at the end of the last song  :o
 I do have some footage which I haven't transferred out of the camcorder yet (There's a bug going around the house - I passed out after work yesterday and slept straight through to today). Some stuff I was able to record from behind the kit so no band members in the way ;) unfortunately you can hear some of the "Phone book" noises from the pads and cymbals. I had also hoped to have to time to shoot more, but things got crazy that night. :)

I'll try to get some vid up tonight..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:30:39 PM by DeeDubs »
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com