Author Topic: Is the Pro-X Hi-Hat still for sale anywhere  (Read 3624 times)

Is the Pro-X Hi-Hat still for sale anywhere
« on: February 16, 2021, 04:25:33 AM »
I have the Crimson II SE since a month or so. I like the set and it suits my (current) needs quite well. The only thing I don't like is the Hi-Hat pedal. I have to step really firmly to generate a 'closed' sound.

I tried to add the Hi-Hat controller set from Drum-tec but that controller only supports open/closed with the Crimson II SE module. No chick and no splash sounds.

I wonder whether the Pro-X Hi-hat is any better as the module has a special setting for the Pro-X. But... Where can I buy the Pro-X Hi-Hat? It seems to be out of production and I can not find any shops in Europe which still have one in stock. Is there anyone who knows of an Alesis Pro-X Hi-Hat for sale, be it new or used?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is the Pro-X Hi-Hat still for sale anywhere
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 07:44:24 AM »
I had an original Crimson module. This didn't have the Pro-X setting but it still worked perfectly. Plug and play with some minor adjustment to triggers. I don't see any for sale even on Reverb.

Did Drum-Tec tell you directly that you can't get chick and splash with their controller? Seems odd they would be selling it knowing that it doesn't work, or at least not advertising that.

Did you change your module to the Pro-X setting while using the Drum-Tec controller?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:46:10 AM by tmk21315 »
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 10:22:45 AM »
I have the Crimson II SE since a month or so. I like the set and it suits my (current) needs quite well. The only thing I don't like is the Hi-Hat pedal. I have to step really firmly to generate a 'closed' sound.

I tried to add the Hi-Hat controller set from Drum-tec but that controller only supports open/closed with the Crimson II SE module. No chick and no splash sounds.

I wonder whether the Pro-X Hi-hat is any better as the module has a special setting for the Pro-X. But... Where can I buy the Pro-X Hi-Hat? It seems to be out of production and I can not find any shops in Europe which still have one in stock. Is there anyone who knows of an Alesis Pro-X Hi-Hat for sale, be it new or used?

Thanks in advance.

I presume you are using the Drum-Tec "Universal Hi Hat Controller" (Roland,Alesis..NOT Yamaha).
That controller looks just like the original GoeDrum Controller everyone was using when it first came out.
A lot of controllers "will work" but not "work well" and you don't get full function.
Roland modules which have a shorter/smaller range around 0-20kOhm , the Alesis modules need a much broader range around 0-80kOhm which is why Goedrum came out with a controller specifically for Alesis modules and Yamaha.
The Drum-Tec probably has the shorter range and was aimed at Roland modules.
These type controllers use a slide pot , which can be changed if you can find one of the appropriate size and range 100k.
One of the biggest mistakes I see Users make with using Hi Hat controllers for a stand is set them on felt on the stand...the felt absorbs everything so you won't be completely closed or get the sharp up/down required for a splash.Since the Goedrum isn't a pressure type it might not make any difference

Improve Hi Hat Controller

The Pro-X and the STRIKE Hi Hat use the same bottom/controller.(FSR)
The difference is the Pro-X top cymbal is/was single zone and loud acoustically.
The STRIKE Hi Hat top cymbal is dual zone.
Check the Crimson II SE and see if it will support a Dual Zone Hi Hat.The Crimson does.
The difference will be in the MIDI as the Crimson II module has the open/closed tied to a single MIDI note

Alesis Crimson DUAL ZONE Hi Hat

EDIT:
Fixed bad link
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:04:22 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 12:48:10 PM »
I had an original Crimson module. This didn't have the Pro-X setting but it still worked perfectly. Plug and play with some minor adjustment to triggers. I don't see any for sale even on Reverb.

Did Drum-Tec tell you directly that you can't get chick and splash with their controller? Seems odd they would be selling it knowing that it doesn't work, or at least not advertising that.

Did you change your module to the Pro-X setting while using the Drum-Tec controller?
Drum-Tec tested it with another module and confirmed their controller will work with other Alesis Kits (most notably Dm10) but not with the Crimson (II).

I did try the Pro-X setting on the module as well as the standard setting. Neither would do anything except open and closed hi-hat.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 12:53:11 PM »
I presume you are using the Drum-Tec "Universal Hi Hat Controller" (Roland,Alesis..NOT Yamaha).
That controller looks just like the original GoeDrum Controller everyone was using when it first came out.
A lot of controllers "will work" but not "work well" and you don't get full function.

Amazon features a Goedrum module which would be Alesis compatible. It's not too expensive so I ordered one to give it a try. If it's doesn't work I'll just return it.

Meanwhile I would still prefer to get a Pro-X Hi-Hat rather than to experiment with alternative solutions (or even get into soldering!). I bought the kit to play drums and not for hardware fumbling so any ready-to-go solution would have my preference.

PS: The cymbal jack seems to be a stereo jack (forgot the technical abbreviation) so it seems the kit might support a dual zone hi-hat.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:56:50 PM by pejannl »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 03:10:34 PM »

Amazon features a Goedrum module which would be Alesis compatible. It's not too expensive so I ordered one to give it a try. If it's doesn't work I'll just return it.

I haven't used the Goedrum since it first came out years ago..I find slide pots for a HH controller to have too much resistance in movement,react too slow and wear out.

The Alesis version Goedrum controller is compatible with certain Alesis modules...DM10 , Nitro  and STRIKE...but there is a warning about not working well with others.
The main thing I noticed for their reasoning is that it requires a TRS controller cable..so it is using the ring.
A number of the Alesis modules with DB25 harnesses are TS only...I don't have a Nitro module to check it's *HH controller cable , but a TRS adapter is provided with the Goedrum Alesis version specifically for it..
There is also a felt washer for the top...probably to keep the cymbal from hitting the controller body

GoeDRum US eBay

EDIT:
After some Research..the Nitro Harness Hi Hat Controller is in fact TRS.(pics attached)
This answers another question and explains why there is a "Hybrid" V2 Pedal with an 1/8"connector specifically for it.
I suspect there may be a resistor going from the ring to the sleeve in the Goedrum Controller.
Some of the early Realhat pedals I have include a resistor and TRS jack.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:50:03 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 03:55:07 AM »
the Nitro Harness Hi Hat Controller is in fact TRS.

Hmm... If the working of the controller depends on TRS then it will never work on the Crimson II (which doesn't have a TRS jack for the pedal).

So I am still searching for a Pro-X Hi-hat, presuming that will work (because the module has a specific Pro-X setting)..

My original question stands:

Where can I buy the Pro-X Hi-Hat? It seems to be out of production and I can not find any shops in Europe which still have one in stock. Is there anyone who knows of an Alesis Pro-X Hi-Hat for sale, be it new or used?

Offline AlanK

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 09:20:44 AM »
hi Pejannl, hear you on the search for the Pro X setup.. I bought it when it came out, for my DM10X kit.. been a journey.. getting it to calibrate, changing out the top hat for a slightly quieter less hard one, it was an improvent and made my kit look and feel more like a real drumset but it doesn't always respond to my every move :)

I had a second Alesis setup at a friend's place and wanted to upgrade from the RealHat setup there as well, a few months ago, and like you I could find no place that sold the gear new anywhere. I did see one on Ebay I think, wasn't as cheap as I'd expect to find it on Ebay so I passed.. now you can probably only find a used one if you're lucky.. kijiji perhaps, or just keep checking your favourite places. I'm in Canada, can keep my eyes open for you if you're nearby but not a lot of Canadians on this forum I don't think so that may not do you any good.

I bought a snare and a kick drum from Laurin Drums (near Montreal). They are pretty decent and they sell cymbals as well, and a hi-hat setup with a controller similar to Roland etc.. almost went for one but haven't got the cash at the moment. You might check their options.. not sure what settings you'd need to use but I think if you wrote them, Robert Laurin, he's super helpful, he could tell you if it works with your kit.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 03:31:14 AM »

I bought a snare and a kick drum from Laurin Drums (near Montreal). They are pretty decent and they sell cymbals as well, and a hi-hat setup with a controller similar to Roland etc.. almost went for one but haven't got the cash at the moment. You might check their options.. not sure what settings you'd need to use but I think if you wrote them, Robert Laurin, he's super helpful, he could tell you if it works with your kit.

I checked with them (thanks for the tip) and he replied that the Crimson II SE only support ‘open’ and ‘closed’ sounds so they don’t have a solution.

That said, I checked my kit and it supports ‘open’, ‘closed’ but also a “closing” sound when only operating the pedal and this sound differs from the ‘closed’ sound (hitting the pad with the pedal down).

I still have some hope that I can solve my quest with a working controller or with the Pro-X Hi-hat. Otherwise I will have to look for another module (Roland TD17 comes to mind).

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 05:23:51 AM »
That said, I checked my kit and it supports ‘open’, ‘closed’ but also a “closing” sound when only operating the pedal and this sound differs from the ‘closed’ sound (hitting the pad with the pedal down).

Uh... and it also supports the ‘splash’ with the hi-hat.