Author Topic: Introducing DMEditor (now version 1.1a and open source!)  (Read 113084 times)

Offline Corvidae

Re: Introducing DMEditor!
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2012, 02:04:08 PM »
Okay, that Vel>Filter thing was a stupid bug on my part and has been fixed. You'll see the change in 1.1.

Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
Version 1.1 is now available at dmeditor.com!

* Added support for Bluejay module
* Added kit defaulting and copying
* A couple of minor bug fixes

Unfortunately, existing module files you have created will not work in this version (individual kits are just fine, though). If you've saved your work in a module file, it will need to be recreated from the kits. Hopefully this is the last time the file format will need to be changed and won't be reverse-compatible.

As always, let me know about any bugs or problems you encounter.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »

Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow.

BTW: A little donation is on the way ;)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »

Unfortunately, existing module files you have created will not work in this version (individual kits are just fine, though). If you've saved your work in a module file, it will need to be recreated from the kits. Hopefully this is the last time the file format will need to be changed and won't be reverse-compatible.

As always, let me know about any bugs or problems you encounter.
Hot Dog! this is good news. I can't wait to try this out with the changes.

Online Hellfire

Re: Introducing DMEditor (now version 1.1!)
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
I just thinking out loud. I know it works with the DM8 because we've had a member here confirm this however, the DM8 does not have the same number to triggers available. In other words there is the Tom1Rim, Tom2Rim, etc. Do you plan on putting a profile for the DM8 in DMEditor?

Also, I know that the Pearl REDbox is basically the same as the DM10. I'm also aware that nobody here has one. If you are looking to include a profile for the REDbox you might want to post over at the Pearl REDbox forum. Forum e-Pro Live. Heck you might be able to get a member over there to help test DMEditor with the REDbox. I do know that the REDbox syx files are a little different. Just a thought. I hope that helps.

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »
I just thinking out loud. I know it works with the DM8 because we've had a member here confirm this however, the DM8 does not have the same number to triggers available. In other words there is the Tom1Rim, Tom2Rim, etc. Do you plan on putting a profile for the DM8 in DMEditor?

If someone can build me a "map" of the inputs on the DM10 to the ones on the DM8 (including which ones are missing), I might be able to get it working.

Also, I know that the Pearl REDbox is basically the same as the DM10. I'm also aware that nobody here has one. If you are looking to include a profile for the REDbox you might want to post over at the Pearl REDbox forum. Forum e-Pro Live. Heck you might be able to get a member over there to help test DMEditor with the REDbox. I do know that the REDbox syx files are a little different. Just a thought. I hope that helps.

That's a good idea. I'll see about posting over there tomorrow.

Offline Gerdy

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 04:59:48 AM »
From the DM10 module advertisment:
The DM10 module not only has a breathtaking collection of sounds onboard, it is also the world's first drum-sound module that enables you to load new sound sets via USB connection from your computer. This means that your sounds will always stay fresh, current and cutting edge.

>>> And Mr. Corvidae made it. <<<

Thank you very very much. It is absolutely fantastic.
And it is very honorable that you are sharing it with the community and that you are always providing a permanent support.
Again, thanks a lot.

With kindly greetings from Germany,
Gerdy

PS:
Is there an other method to do a donation to you instead of using Paypal ?

Offline Conrad55

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2012, 08:31:24 AM »
This is very awesome, well done sir!!

No I wish someone could figure out how to get the blue jay and the dm10 sounds into one kit.

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 12:35:11 PM »
No I wish someone could figure out how to get the blue jay and the dm10 sounds into one kit.

I'm hoping to get that done eventually, but will require information from Alesis on this. If I could get the actual drum sounds from the BJ kit with the china / cymbals / misc. percussion from the DM10, I think it'd be just about perfect.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »
Question:  I was having a hard time editing my set in the DMEditor w/o accidentally changing the DM10 to a setting that was in the software already, and remembering exactly what each control was originally set to if I forgot to actually LOOK at the DM10 setting before I entered into the control.  I actually had to throw out half a setup because I thought I had messed up my DM10... but now I'm realizing that I could have done them all, and NOT saved on the DM10, right?

So, is the best way to enter all your settings to set it OFFLINE, and enter them all, then save the kits and/or set, and download them back after they are all set up?

Or is there a better way?  I think you said there is no way to get the settings OUT of the DM10, right?
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
Question:  I was having a hard time editing my set in the DMEditor w/o accidentally changing the DM10 to a setting that was in the software already, and remembering exactly what each control was originally set to if I forgot to actually LOOK at the DM10 setting before I entered into the control.  I actually had to throw out half a setup because I thought I had messed up my DM10... but now I'm realizing that I could have done them all, and NOT saved on the DM10, right?

So, is the best way to enter all your settings to set it OFFLINE, and enter them all, then save the kits and/or set, and download them back after they are all set up?

Or is there a better way?  I think you said there is no way to get the settings OUT of the DM10, right?

Correct. The DM10 is input-only.

In your case, it might be better to create a new module file offline, set it up the way you like it, then save it. When you load it with the DM10 connected, it should upload all the kits, at which point you can save each one individually.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2012, 04:32:09 PM »
Thanks for the answer.  That's probably what I'll do.

That will work fine, I'm sure.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline vaikl

« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2012, 05:31:15 PM »
Corvidae, it's me again ;D

Have just tested the 1.1 and it works perfect with the Bluejay now, thanks!

One thing I was asking for and is now included: Copying kits. Unfortunately I wasn't clear enough in my mind when I wrote about it, sorry. My idea was to copy the kit values *and* to sent this copied values also to the destination kit on the module - not only in your tool, as it is now implemented (like I notice it now, if it's not a bug??).

My purpose was to have all parameter values copied to a new kit, so that I just have to customize one or two values on that kit. In 1.1 I can copy values in your tool, but to send them all to the module I must re-assign them one by one. Or am I doing soemthing wrong?

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2012, 05:37:13 PM »
My purpose was to have all parameter values copied to a new kit, so that I just have to customize one or two values on that kit. In 1.1 I can copy values in your tool, but to send them all to the module I must re-assign them one by one. Or am I doing soemthing wrong?

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure if that's what you wanted.

Can you send me a PM with your email address so I can send you an updated version to test?

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »
@Vaikl:  You say:
I can copy values in your tool, but to send them all to the module I must re-assign them one by one. Or am I doing soemthing wrong?

What if you were to save the "copied" kit, then exit the editor, and re-open it.  Would the settings get sent to the module when you select it?  Or maybe even set it to "offline", then back "online".  According to Corvidae, that should send all the kits to the module, and you could save the new one.

If not, then the scenario that I will be using it "offline" and then connecting my DM10 and having DMEditor send all the kits down to my DM10 won't work, either...

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »
The online/offline switch doesn't send everything when you turn it back on. Each send to the module checks that flag; if it's off, it will just skip sending that one message.

When you load a kit / module file, it sends all the info down at that time.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »
If not, then the scenario that I will be using it "offline" and then connecting my DM10 and having DMEditor send all the kits down to my DM10 won't work, either...

Yep, but that wasn't my intention for a "Copy" feature. My idea was to have a function to *fast* copy a sequence of similar kits and then alter them in one or two parameters only. Then just switching those kits on the module for comparing would also be faster for me, because I haven't my comp near the module to tweak with the tool.

@Corvidae: PM done ;)

Offline Conrad55

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »

I'm hoping to get that done eventually, but will require information from Alesis on this. If I could get the actual drum sounds from the BJ kit with the china / cymbals / misc. percussion from the DM10, I think it'd be just about perfect.

I think it could be done, though the DM10's on board memory may be full, thats why the swap is required.  So maybe there is a way to delete certain sounds, and replace them with blue jay sounds.  I could easily live with out some of the electronic kit sounds, even maybe some guitar sounds and rap sounds as well, and would gladly delete some of them if I could swap in BJ sounds.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »
Can you send me a PM with your email address so I can send you an updated version to test?

Did a first test with the 1.1a today and now the Copy function is working as suggested, thanks again!!

Another thing I noticed: The kits and module files are all saved in the older DMEditor_v1.0/soundsets folder, not in the DMEditor_v1.1/soundsets folder. That was the case with the 1.1 version (as I notice now) and is with the 1.1a.

I have the two folders both together in a higher folder. Do I have to delete the 1.0 folder when using 1.1 or 1.1a or is your tool just remembering the last storage location?

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2012, 09:27:34 PM »
The soundset files should always be relative to the current location (it just looks at soundsets/whatever.xml).

The save/load location is being stored somewhere (not sure where), but I can override that. Should I create a kits directory at the same level as soundsets and force that as the default?

Offline vaikl

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2012, 11:32:11 PM »
The soundset files should always be relative to the current location (it just looks at soundsets/whatever.xml).

The save/load location is being stored somewhere (not sure where), but I can override that. Should I create a kits directory at the same level as soundsets and force that as the default?

If you don't intend to make your tool a full registered Win app (with pre-configured storage points in the Registry), then it might be better to create kits/instruments/module files in a given, relative directory and store this info within the app and in the zip file. Then a hint for update-users to copy all personal created files from previous versions into the new locations would be helpful.

To avoid accidental overwriting of the given soundset files I would create two directories called i.e. "Basic" and "User" or something similar and put your files in Basic and let the user save his files in User. For an update the user only has to copy the User directory into the new app location folder.

I hope this makes sense ;)

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
Well, the soundset files are intended to be paired with whatever soundrom you have installed on the module... not the same thing as the user-created kits. A better place to put them would be in My Documents, as any version of the app will read any previous version's files.

I'll see about setting that as the default and creating a new directory under My documents for user-created files.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
Well, I'll be damned!  This is what I get for not checking in DMDrummer often enough.  I learn that this editor is out!  WAY TO GO!!!

I can't wait to dl and try it out!

THANK YOU!!!

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2012, 06:30:12 AM »
It would be neat if with the software you could listen to the snares/toms/etc on the PC. I mean, for tweaking purposes, it would come in handy. xD

But this is just me, dreaming high ::) Aldough i am happy with this piece of software, i leave my suggestion ;) 
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2012, 10:24:59 AM »
It would be neat if with the software you could listen to the snares/toms/etc on the PC. I mean, for tweaking purposes, it would come in handy. xD

Yes it would. I'd have to be able to read the soundrom file in order to do that, though. That's on my wishlist, too.