Author Topic: Trondsters illustrated Hellfire mesh head conversion  (Read 34040 times)

Offline Th3R00st3r

Re: Trondsters illustrated Hellfire mesh head conversion
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »
Here's the kit put back together.
I think it looks great. The rebound is good, although I may loosen the kick pad as I get a wicked bounce on it to to where it may hit 2-3 times for a single.
I had some xtalk on tom4 and the rim, but changed the setting till it went away.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2014, 05:27:07 AM »
Looks great! Congrats on your conversion! :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2014, 11:03:25 AM »
Well Crap...  >:(. I should  have listened. I put the Pearl Muffle Heads on last Wed (3 days ago) and they are already wearing around the edges. Maybe I tightened them too much? I don't know, but I am pissed.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2014, 11:41:58 AM »
Hello,

Sorry to highjack this thread but I just finished my mesh mod (without soldering) and let me tell you that once you go mesh, you don't go back!

The feel, the rebound, everything is as close as an acoustic set! I Love it! Thanks to this forum, specially HF and Trondster!!!

@Th3R00st3r: Have you been able to minimize the bass drum rebound? I too have the Pearl Muffle Heads and the rebound on the kick drum pad is insane (triple hits for one stroke...) I didn't know I could go that fast with double pedals :)

I will try to remove some layers of foam and see if that helps. I have tried to loosen the head but no luck. I am thinking that it is too tight inside the pad.

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks.
Alesis DM10 Studio with Pearl MFH conversion.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »
There has been many different kick pad conversion alternatives - one of which is to remove the drum shell entirely, to decrease rebound. Experiment! :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2014, 11:56:27 AM »
You mean remove the black plastic shell around the stack of foam? I will experiment tonight by removing some tension in the pad, we will see how that works!

Thanks.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »
I have not been able to reduce the rebound on the kick pad. I will search for the other mods. I don't feel comfortable removing the shell, I would feel lie I was playing an oreo cookie. I'll update if I find a way.

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
Here what worked for me;

Rearranging the foam so that the foam with the hole in the middle is on top.

Then I just used the felt beaters with a black nylon double patch on the pad. It reduces the rebound considerably.

The only downside is that I have to set the sensitivity to 99... but I am thinking of removing the resistors on the bass drum pad anyways, which will help for sure.

Cheers.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »
I'm going to have to get some black nylon double patch just for bounce control as I don't have felt beaters. I have the same "foam sandwich' order on mine. I didn't remove the resistors as they appear to be mounted on some type of circuit board on the Jack instead of just plain old resistors. I am a bit leery of removing the circuit board from the jack just yet.

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2014, 12:00:16 PM »
Well I did notice a difference between the felt VS the wood and plastic beater.
The felt takes the vibration away instead of producing a stronger rebound like the wood/plastic sides.

Cheers!

« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »
Well Crap...  >:(. I should  have listened. I put the Pearl Muffle Heads on last Wed (3 days ago) and they are already wearing around the edges. Maybe I tightened them too much? I don't know, but I am pissed.

I just installed the Pearl Muffle Heads. My question is can you get them too tight? Also Th3R00st3r, did it help to reduce the tension on your set? 

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »
My question is can you get them too tight? Also Th3R00st3r, did it help to reduce the tension on your set?

I just tightened them enough to where if I press on the center of the pad, there is some slight give. I didn't want them too tight as I felt there would be too much rebound. But It's a personal preference.

I am not sure what you mean by "tenson on your set". Do you mean vibrations?

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »
You answered my question about how tight to make them. That's what I was talking about, the tension on the drum head... I was also wondering if your heads lasted longer than three days, or should I get another set on the way?

Offline AHayden82

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2014, 04:41:30 PM »
Be sure that you definitely use a patch if you are going to use the felt side of your beater. Im sorry if I read it incorrectly, but it sounded like you were favoring the felt side. The felt beater will destroy your mesh heads without a patch. I too started off using the felt side, but had to order a new head within a few weeks. Then, I read on this forum that using the felt side without a patch was a No No. I used the 682 version of the Mesh conversion. It is the cone style conversion. At first i used the regular cone that came with the kit, but I had the same issue that you are having with rebound. I modified the cone to be a bit larger and and didnt tighten the head too much and man it is beautiful. It now rebounds like a real bass drum would.
DM10X With Dampened Rack. Simple 682 Black Mesh Head With Cone Conversion on 8" and 10" Pads. Custom Wooden Hoops and 682 Black Mesh Head With Cone Conversion on 12" Pads. Hi-Hat on separate rack. Roc-N-Soc Throne with Back Rest.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2014, 11:25:05 AM »
I was also wondering if your heads lasted longer than three days, or should I get another set on the way?

If you have the means, I would order a few extras just in case. In hindsight, I should have done this because if one breaks or is bad, you don't have to wait 2 weeks to order and replace it.  ;D

Offline Trondster

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2014, 12:12:51 PM »
Buy double ply heads instead of single ply heads, and you won't have any durability issues for a loooong time. I went for Roland heads myself. My custom 13" snare has Drum-Tec heads, though.

Offline vappicewins

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2014, 02:19:07 AM »
Trondster, great thread!!  I believe I see you have what I call the "loathsome metal plate" further down in the mix, right?  I know it is a necessary evil for accurate triggering, but with Alesis' design, it really is rough on the hands with the metal plate so near the playing surface.  Am I correct in assuming it is further down in your design of mix/layers?  That would be much easier on the hands.  Also, could I do this with my X10's without having to do any soldering?  I was just about to try cone conversion when I ran across this thread, so am now rethinking (got one 8" and 12" Billy Blast II heads on the way to see how I like them).  I also understand AHayden82 is working on an experiment too.  Thank you again for all your help.  8) 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:20:52 AM by vappicewins »

Offline Trondster

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2014, 02:20:41 AM »
Yes, the metal plate is further down - this method works on the 8" and 10" pads. :)

The design is my Hellfire - I merely documented it.

You can do it without soldering by stretching the black foam over the metal plate - but I recommend using a soldering iron.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:23:03 AM by Trondster »

Offline vappicewins

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 02:23:07 AM »
Yes, the metal plate is further down - this method works on the 8" and 10" pads. :)

Man, that was fast!!  I was hoping no one would see I messed up on AHayden's name!!  ;D  Thank you for the quick reply.  So you know where I'm going now, what about the 12" pads please?

Offline Trondster

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2014, 02:48:20 AM »
Look at the various threads in the DIY forum - I'm no 12" conversion expert, I'm afraid. ;)

Offline vappicewins

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2014, 03:06:02 AM »
Thank you Trondster, I can't seem to get enough time to check out the threads like I want due to work and other things, but did get to rock out yesterday before work for about an hour!  Almost like these better than my acoustic Pearl's sometimes!  :)

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2018, 10:03:10 PM »
Trondster,

I really want to thank you for your cooperation on this topic. I made an account just to thank you and tell I successfully converted my DM10 to an all new mesh head kit. Your pics where extremely helpful, since Hellfire's video is extremely low quality and overall, I prefer text and pics over videos.

Said this, and with the hope I may be helping somebody who is in the conversion boat, I would like to point out the following:

In one of the 8" pads, I screwed it up and when assembling the jack I cut red and yellow wires with the bolt when fastening. This is easily the most critical step of the conversion. And may I suggest a change? Do not put the rim prior to soldering. Just turn the sandwich upside down while holding it with your hand, solder, and then turn it the other way, stretch the cables so you are sure they are not tangled on the base and you can keep the screw holes clear.
Also, why cutting a slit towards the center of the funky foam, when you can just make a hole and pass the wires trough it? This way you may have more control on where the cables lay.

I have also seen that you dampened the cymbals with Evans Soundoff, which I also did and follow your advice. Clicky noise is something of the past now, but my ride has lost too much sensibility and I have to hit it very hard, and it continuously cross talks with the bell.

Thanks again for both tutorials and glad to answer if someone has any question.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:05:40 PM by genghiskhan-11 »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2018, 12:22:25 AM »
Welcome to another contributor to the forum, which btw is available to us courtesy of Hellfire and you'll find his experience with Alesis edrums shared via text, pics or videos is very useful.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:16:48 AM by rhysT »