Author Topic: DM10: A Trigger I/O on Steroids?  (Read 6699 times)

Online Hellfire

DM10: A Trigger I/O on Steroids?
« on: December 10, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »
Well, it turns out that the DM10 has very similar internal workings as the Trigger I/O. Let's first look at the "X-Talk".

Even though there is a "Zone talk" setting in the DM10, you still can not fire off adjacent zones (i.e. dual zone on a signal input). At first I did not think this was an issue on the DM10 (meaning I didn't notice it at first) and even though you have to be more accurate with the DM10 than the Trigger I/O it is still there. Is it really a problem? I don't think so. That's because it is only an issue for those who want to use a VST with eTrigger to get position sensing. Even with that said, I still don't think it is much of an issue because of the extra inputs the DM10 has. Just spilt one of the extra inputs.

The other similarity to the Trigger I/O is the fixed piezo/switch input. The crash input on the DM10 is a fixed piezo/switch input just like the Trigger I/O's input #4 (ride). The difference is, the switch zone on the DM10 can only be used as a choke switch. Since we are on the topic of switch zones, the DM10 (like the Trigger I/O) does not have any velocity when using that switch zone.

Are these problems that need to be addressed by Alesis? Are they even problems? I don't think so. Every edrum company handles triggering a little different than the next. I think what we are seeing is the way Alesis approaches triggering. The truth is, it is easy to work around these Alesis quirks. The DM10 is able to do so much (see DM10, 35 additional sounds via MIDI!!!) so none of these "issue/problems" (as some would say they are) should never be a problem.

Offline goony

Re: DM10: A Trigger I/O on Steroids?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 10:58:21 AM »
so how you finding the DM10 as a whole now, I have read your reviews, am very interested. You had yours now for what nearly 2 weeks, how easy to use, still sound good etc?
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:23:20 AM »
so how you finding the DM10 as a whole now, I have read your reviews, am very interested. You had yours now for what nearly 2 weeks, how easy to use, still sound good etc?
I like it a lot. I think the DM10 is the best module I've owned. I have owned a DM5, DMPro, Roland TD-8, and an Alesis SR-18 with Trigger I/O. I have made some changes to the stock DM10 Pro kit to make it almost perfect, but I have not documented them yet. It is by far the best deal out there that I've seen.

Offline goony

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »
have you applied the update yet? The pads mesh or what?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 01:10:19 PM »
have you applied the update yet? The pads mesh or what?
Yes, I applied the update. The best I can tell is it just increased the volume of the over all module. That's a good thing because I found I had most of the slides maxed out before the update. Now they are about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way up.

As far as kit updates, I changed the configuration of the rack. I didn't really add any parts, just changed the way it goes together. It's rock solid now. ;D. As far as the pads go, yes they are now mesh and I used 99% of everything that was already in the pad (minus the mesh head of course) to do it. So I'm very happy about that. I'm hoping to put a post up on Hellfire about the upgraded mesh pad. And no, you just can't put a mesh head on in place of the standard head. It's not that easy but it is easier than you think. ;) Then you will be asking why Alesis didn't just do this from the start. I least I did. It seems like a no brainer to me.

Offline goony

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 01:14:41 PM »
what heads are on to start with? they real drum heads or mylar?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 02:12:55 PM »
what heads are on to start with? they real drum heads or mylar?
They are standard mylar drum heads that come on the kit when you get it.

Offline goony

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 02:25:09 PM »
all i gotta do is find a drum shop with one of these in stock to demo, they all seem to only have either Rolands or the Yammies....

Offline goony

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 04:45:42 AM »
how are the pads holding up?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 11:53:39 AM »
how are the pads holding up?
Just fine. I'm actually using a cheaper style mesh head and I like them. They are Percussion Plus mesh drum heads. They are a lot like the Pearl Rhythm Traveler mesh heads. Which are a much lighter weight drum head then the Hart or Roland. In the past I found these heads only last a few of months with regular use (if you are a heavy hitter only about a month) but at $6.00 you can't past it up. I figure replacing a mesh head every 3-6 months is no different than replacing regular drum heads on an acoustic kit.

Offline goony

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »
So how good does the module sound, I take it by reading the manaul it has the old Simmons SDS sound onboard, is it a good sound, as I love that  era and Simmons Sound..

Offline goony

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 12:53:57 PM »
I am out to Demo some kits in store next week, but cannot find anywhere round me that has the DM10 in store, I will be demoing the td9, dtxpress IV, and the2 box drumit 5, but DM10 no where. :((

Online Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 01:13:30 PM »
So how good does the module sound, I take it by reading the manaul it has the old Simmons SDS sound onboard, is it a good sound, as I love that  era and Simmons Sound..
I really like the sound on the DM10. I've played a little with some of the SDS sounds and they sound pretty darn good to me. I think the best to me is the ability of layering two sounds (on each trigger zone) and mix them together. Something you can't do on other modules in this price range.  I'm just now starting to play around with this and I think I can replicate the (showing my age) Def Leppard Hysteria drum kit sound (which use Simmons sounds on top of other sampled sounds).

Offline goony

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 01:25:12 PM »
thats ok, similar age to you :D  Glad you know the sound i was talking about, made me feel better. Any Crosstalk problems at all, shame no drum stores near me in UK has it on Demo, as I really want to try this kit.
My previous E kit quite a few years ago was the DTXplorer the first one...

Online Hellfire

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 03:19:41 PM »
thats ok, similar age to you :D  Glad you know the sound i was talking about, made me feel better. Any Crosstalk problems at all, shame no drum stores near me in UK has it on Demo, as I really want to try this kit.
My previous E kit quite a few years ago was the DTXplorer the first one...
When you first set-up the kit the cross talk is pretty bad. That's because I don't think Alesis preset the module for the kit it comes with. Once you dial in everything, it is not a problem. It took me about 10 minutes to dial in the cross talk setting for the whole kit.

You know, if you are just wanting to know how the DM10 Pro kit feels, maybe you can find a shop with a DM5 pro kit (or some version of a Medeli DD602 kit) set-up. They should "feel" the same. The pads are all made the same way.

Also, with you being in the UK, you have many more options as far as mesh heads are concerned. Like I've stated before, I upgraded my pad on the DM10 and it is very easy to do (as long as you have some basic soldering skills). All you would need is a mesh head of your choice, a piece of cardboard the size of the inside of the drum trigger, and rearrange the guts of the DM10 pads. I think my kit now feels every bit as good as a Roland TD-9 (all mesh head) kit. Plus I think the DM10 module is much more powerful. Especially, when you consider the sounds of the DM10 can be changed out (if they ever come out with the extra sound set), something else that can not be done in its price range.

I hope this helps

Offline goony

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »
I have zero soldering skills, ;D I am used to the hard rubber pads from years ago, so I guess todays pads must be better.

Looks like just me and you on the forum  :D

Online Hellfire

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 04:46:02 PM »
I have zero soldering skills, ;D I am used to the hard rubber pads from years ago, so I guess todays pads must be better.

Looks like just me and you on the forum  :D
I think the DM10 pads feel a little better than the old rubber pads from the past.

Soldering really isn't that hard. Here is a 5 min. youtube video that shows you how. Once you can do what he does in this video, you will be able to do any DIY edrum stuff that you see here or on Hellfire Drums.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »

I thought Alesis was using BFD sounds - and isn't there plans to have the sounds upgradeable?
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 01:06:57 PM »

I thought Alesis was using BFD sounds - and isn't there plans to have the sounds upgradeable?
Answer to first question:
No, Alesis did their own samples for the stock sounds.

Answer to second question:
Yes, and the people that do BFD have made some sound sets but, they are not on the market yet. Here's a link to that info:
BFD2 in the house!

Offline goony

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 07:47:07 PM »
well I tried to find a new DM5, all I could demo today was the old type with the thick rubber pads. TD9 was good tho, still struggling to find a DM10pro, another dealer had a drum it 2 box, which I could stretch too budget wise, but the dealer wasnt that helpful, and told me the demo kit was sold!! So that switched me of from the dealer and the 2 box drumit..

Offline goony

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 05:07:15 AM »
Wow, I emailed Alesis.com last night, and Richard Ward from Alesis uk rang me at 10am this morning, told me where I can demo it, so I will be out to try the DM10pro in next day or so, nearest dealer is over an hour and halfs drive away, hopefully be worth it. Cant wait....
Good customer response from Alesis, impressive start.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 09:23:10 AM »
Wow, I emailed Alesis.com last night, and Richard Ward from Alesis uk rang me at 10am this morning, told me where I can demo it, so I will be out to try the DM10pro in next day or so, nearest dealer is over an hour and halfs drive away, hopefully be worth it. Cant wait....
Good customer response from Alesis, impressive start.
That sounds good. Remember, in the video I said I had to adjust the sensitivity of the kit when I first turned it on. I find that most music stores (at least in the US) never have the kit set-up correctly. If you find you have to hit the pads way too hard, then you will know that nobody tried to set the kit up properly. Keep in mind also, when I sat down for the first time on the kit, the cross talk was not set properly for the configuration. Setting the sensitivity on the whole kit should only take about 5 minutes. Setting the cross talk can take any where 10 minutes to a half an hour (depends, on how perfect you want the feel). I hope this helps.

I can't tell you how many people I've seen walk away from a good deal on a piece of music equipment because it wasn't set-up correctly at the store. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »
Hi All,

HF, you say you managed to set up cross-talk config in 10mins! I am still struggling with the concept as I'm very new to the DM10 (infact edrums full stop).

What is the basic procedure for setting this up effectively? Do you need to tweak it if the kit is moved to a room with different characteristics (size, floor covering etc). I've even been told that the idea of having the cymbol mounts on the frame is not the best idea ever and I should consider buying separate stands. Thoughts?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
Hi All,

HF, you say you managed to set up cross-talk config in 10mins! I am still struggling with the concept as I'm very new to the DM10 (infact edrums full stop).

What is the basic procedure for setting this up effectively? Do you need to tweak it if the kit is moved to a room with different characteristics (size, floor covering etc). I've even been told that the idea of having the cymbol mounts on the frame is not the best idea ever and I should consider buying separate stands. Thoughts?
The most ideal way to mount triggers to cut down on cross talk, is to use stands. I actually have my snare trigger on a snare stand. Don't have to worry about the bass trigger, as it sits by itself. I also, do not like mounting drum modules on a rack. Vibration and electronics (in general) don't play well together.

When dealing with cross talk, first address the trigger you are hearing first (that shouldn't be triggering because it is not being hit). Slowly up the cross talk setting until you don't hear (or is very faint and wouldn't be heard with everything else being played). Sometimes getting rid of all the cross talk is impossible. Sometimes if the threshold is set too low, your triggers will sound all by themselves. If you have an issue with a trigger sounding like a buzz roll all by itself, check the threshold. Try to up it, and see if it fixes the issue.