Author Topic: DM10 Pro Ride Cymbal Question  (Read 3521 times)

Offline eugenecp

DM10 Pro Ride Cymbal Question
« on: March 07, 2010, 01:21:35 AM »
i believe the 16" surge ride is 3 zone + choke based on Phil's review.  however, i can't seem to trigger the edge or look for the edge settings in the triggers.  ride1 has been configured as 3 zone.

is there a way to verify if the edge is triggering? the edge just sounds the same if i hit the bow.  could i be hitting the cymbal wrong?

thanks in advance for any help.
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline Hellfire

Re: DM10 Pro Ride Cymbal Question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:30 AM »
i believe the 16" surge ride is 3 zone + choke based on Phil's review.  however, i can't seem to trigger the edge or look for the edge settings in the triggers.  ride1 has been configured as 3 zone.

is there a way to verify if the edge is triggering? the edge just sounds the same if i hit the bow.  could i be hitting the cymbal wrong?

thanks in advance for any help.
Double check and make sure you have the 3 zone ride cymbal. I seem to remember someone on this forum didn't get the correct cymbal. Do you have two cables plugged into the cymbal? You should also have an edge switch on the cymbal. Does the cymbal choke? Your cymbal should have a sensor in the bell, the input box with two inputs, and a choke strip. Other than that make sure your cables are pushed all the way in. I hope that helps.

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:59:38 PM »
thanks phil.

my ride has 2 jacks, choke strip but no switch.  so i think what i have is the 2zone + choke instead.
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:15:32 PM »
thanks phil.

my ride has 2 jacks, choke strip but no switch.  so i think what i have is the 2zone + choke instead.
The choke strip doubles as the edge sensor. So it sounds like you have the correct cymbal. Will the cymbal choke when you grab the choke strip? If you tip the choke strip really quick you should get the edge sound. If you have two jacks on it you have the correct cymbal.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:43:11 PM »
If you hit the edge like it's a cymbal, it'll sound different than the bow...  but they are similar.  So, that may be why it is hard to distinguish.

I don't think you can change each zone though....  which would be cool.  I'd like to make the bow the bell, the bell, a deeper bell, and the edge a large crash.   But I have no idea how to do that.  lol

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:04:58 AM »
ok, confirmed that it's a 3 zone, by hitting the choke strip.

however, hitting the edge triggers very similar as the bow (based on the LCD display).  However, hitting between the 2 rivets hard/quick with a flat stick triggers a crash (ride 2 inner trigger).

is this the expected behavior? is there an easier way to trigger a crash on the ride?

Offline mazzith

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 02:01:44 AM »
The biggest complaint I have with my ride is that I never found a perfect setting to get a great bell sound. I get a decent bow sound but sometimes it triggers a very loud noise ( guess im hitting the choke strip )
Lets go Cowboys!