Author Topic: Strike MultiPad  (Read 12020 times)

Offline Dobly

Re: Strike MultiPad
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2018, 02:35:33 AM »
I think this is the main point

' The Multipad streams samples direct from their location in the internal memory or your connected USB'.

So it does not 'load' samples. It locates them and streams (for want of a better term) from the location they are stored.

My 2Box Drumit3 works the same way. There is in effect no load time.

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2018, 02:58:55 PM »
Down side is it’s 16 bit not 24 bit. 44,100 is ok but when are they going to understand that 24 bit is necessary for good recording.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2018, 03:49:33 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiR7Qg6NaQM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q2fWI768xc

To avoid damage with accidental hit on the screen, before use it, just make a mod with  foam double sided tape on corner and plexi glass, and could save your broken screen, there is different size and thickness.

thicker the foam, the better is to absorb pressure on the main screen on stick hit, this is one example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/9080EVA-Double-Sided-Adhesive-Foam-Tape-Sticky-Pads-Black-White-Various-Size-IL/273298836420?hash=item3fa1e14bc4:m:m3jM2Fggr74BEK4399IHEew:rk:51:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1mm-A5-transparent-Perspex-acrylic-sheet-Plastic-Plexiglass-Cut-15cm-21cm-more/222681006215?epid=851804036&hash=item33d8d28087%3A g%3A-OsAAOSwDOdZ5MSu%3Ark%3A2%3Apf%3A0&fbclid=IwAR05PHM drBgKpRxDvQ8-gkGEfSMBfY0WP-pSJY7QELAfBPgAmwOEVkRI5t4
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:49:41 PM by ChrisK »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2018, 06:33:10 AM »
Just recycling some useful info from Chaser about possible hihat setup with the Strike multipad:
http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/how-to-connect-a-pro-x-hi-hat-to-a-strike-pro-multipad

Offline Iggford

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 11:55:27 AM »
So I have a (possibly) unusual question...

This may not be something that everyone would do, but if my thinking is correct, this thing would have come in really handy for me a few weeks ago.

Could you essentially connect, say, Strike pads to this and build a small drum kit with the MultiPad in place of the Strike module?  I know it's not something someone would probably do regularly, seeing as how if you had Strike pads, chances are you have the kit and module also.

My reason for thinking this way is this:  We had a benefit gig back on Veterans Day, and the space we were playing in was really small.  I took a modified version of my Strike kit, consisting of the snare, 10" tom, 12" tom, hi-hat and one crash.  I used snare stands to mount all the pads, and (obviously) a cymbal stand for the crash.  I also grabbed two of my Roland PD-8's and connected them to the L-arms that I placed in the mounting brackets on the pads. 

The setup itself was fairly easy, but I had to build custom kits in my module that I likely won't use much, and just getting the cabling in the right places was a tad more of a hassle than normal.  It wasn't a huge inconvenience, but I thought that if the MultiPad could be used in this manner, it could keep me from having to do it from the Strike module, and I could even have a full array of kit sounds using the MultiPads plus the externals.

In all honesty, I could have used the MultiPad by itself, and I would have had basically the same-sized kit all in a box.  However, the kit itself gives off such a good stage presence. :)

--
Shawn

Offline AlanK

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2018, 01:19:09 PM »
Hi Shawn, I've never had a multipad, but I've seen a lot of examples where (if they have the extra plugs for hi-hat and kick pedal) people have patched those in and then gone to town on the pad in a smaller confined space (or just cuz that's all they wanna use). Totally doable as far as I know. Good luck with the show. My friend wants to have a mini jam at their place this new years and I don't feel like carting a ton of drums, acoustic nor electric.. but I may bring a minimalistic amount like my module, original hi-hat pedal, and maybe one pad and one cymbal, set it all up on a single stand with a few clamps so I can just sit on a chair or couch and bang out some simple rhythm
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2018, 08:55:22 PM »
Just recycling some useful info from Chaser about possible hihat setup with the Strike multipad:
http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/how-to-connect-a-pro-x-hi-hat-to-a-strike-pro-multipad

The TRIN1 was setup mainly with kick samples ..the Preset kits have kicks and sub booms assigned to it..there was also a crash/cymbal assigned to it in some,also some percussion.
When set to velocity you can use a pad..or kick drum...or a single zone cymbal it looks like.
when set to switch you use a pedal..the DMHat works well..a little sensitive

Setting it up as I posted in the link,using the 2 piece hi hat(I used the Strike even tho it's dual zone) and the TRIN1 (HH top) set for velocity and the HH pedal input( controller/bottom) for variable and 0-127.I was able with some trickery to simulate a hi hat that would splash as the sensitivity of top would fire the trigger/sample when you step off the pedal.No bark or anything like that.I haven't tried with the RealHat pedal yet or a different trigger other than the Strike HH top.
I need to spend more time learning the settings and with the sample pool and see what I can get away with.

The HH pedal input is also pre-assigned as a control or on/off to selected pads for loops/tempos in some kits which is driving me crazy.When the pedal is pressed all the way down to close it will also start a loop/tempo on a pad somewhere and you have to press back down to stop it while you have different samples assigned to the HH pedal and trying to hear what happens going through the 0-127 range.
The LED's came in handy to point out point out which pad is the culprit.

I believe I could construct a hi hat sample set with a multi-velocity wave for each layer and put a combined wav with semi and full open in one range  and closed/semi open in the other with the data base I have..do this for the trigger and the pedal.
I did found some samples in the preset kits to be barely audible even at max settings.

So I have a (possibly) unusual question...

This may not be something that everyone would do, but if my thinking is correct, this thing would have come in really handy for me a few weeks ago.

Could you essentially connect, say, Strike pads to this and build a small drum kit with the MultiPad in place of the Strike module?  I know it's not something someone would probably do regularly, seeing as how if you had Strike pads, chances are you have the kit and module also.

My reason for thinking this way is this:  We had a benefit gig back on Veterans Day, and the space we were playing in was really small.  I took a modified version of my Strike kit, consisting of the snare, 10" tom, 12" tom, hi-hat and one crash.  I used snare stands to mount all the pads, and (obviously) a cymbal stand for the crash.  I also grabbed two of my Roland PD-8's and connected them to the L-arms that I placed in the mounting brackets on the pads. 

The setup itself was fairly easy, but I had to build custom kits in my module that I likely won't use much, and just getting the cabling in the right places was a tad more of a hassle than normal.  It wasn't a huge inconvenience, but I thought that if the MultiPad could be used in this manner, it could keep me from having to do it from the Strike module, and I could even have a full array of kit sounds using the MultiPads plus the externals.

In all honesty, I could have used the MultiPad by itself, and I would have had basically the same-sized kit all in a box.  However, the kit itself gives off such a good stage presence. :)

--
Shawn

Thats exactly what I am doing with it right now..figuring out a configuration......kind of like the Ultimate cocktail setup.

The external triggers (5) can be setup as 4 single zone toms and a kick

TRIN1..single zone.. velocity or switch

TRIN2–5
There are 2 settings that determine the type of trigger control.

1) 2 Trigger:A TRS to dual-TS splitter is used to connect two drum triggers.
Drum input2 would have A+B layers...Drum input3.. A+B layers 

2) Head+Rim:The connected trigger is a dual-zone drum trigger.
Head= input2 A+B layers...Rim = input3 A+B layers

The 1st setting separates into 2 separate triggers , while the 2nd setting adds a Rim gain to the settings list.
I did notice that in the 2nd setting you could still set both 2/3 or 4/5 for Head and rim each...which makes no sense as 2/3 and 4/5 are a dual zone and not 4 zones in a TRS input.

I need to spend some time and learn my way around the multipad and how to construct a user kit and pad groups.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2018, 06:15:46 AM »
The TRIN1 was setup mainly with kick samples ..the Preset kits have kicks and sub booms assigned to it..there was also a crash/cymbal assigned to it in some,also some percussion.
When set to velocity you can use a pad..or kick drum...or a single zone cymbal it looks like.

Setting it up as I posted in the link,using the 2 piece hi hat(I used the Strike even tho it's dual zone) and the TRIN1 (HH top) set for velocity and the HH pedal input( controller/bottom) for variable and 0-127.I was able with some trickery to simulate a hi hat that would splash as the sensitivity of top would fire the trigger/sample when you step off the pedal.No bark or anything like that.I haven't tried with the RealHat pedal yet or a different trigger other than the Strike HH top.
I need to spend more time learning the settings and with the sample pool and see what I can get away with.

The HH pedal input is also pre-assigned as a control or on/off to selected pads for loops/tempos in some kits which is driving me crazy.When the pedal is pressed all the way down to close it will also start a loop/tempo on a pad somewhere and you have to press back down to stop it while you have different samples assigned to the HH pedal and trying to hear what happens going through the 0-127 range.

I believe I could construct a hi hat sample set with a multi-velocity wave for each layer and put a combined wav with semi and full open in one range and closed/semi open in the other with the data base I have..do this for the trigger and the pedal.
I found some samples in the preset kits to be barely audible even at max settings.

Maybe try assigning the TRIN-1 and HH pedal inputs to a Sync group (1-16) in Mute mode and with a Hi-hat closed sound assigned to the HH pedal, which should prevent unwanted pads triggering and possibly allow better control of the splash sound. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:02:45 PM by rhysT »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2018, 05:36:05 PM »

I believe I could construct a hi hat sample set with a multi-velocity wave for each layer and put a combined wav with semi and full open in one range and closed/semi open in the other with the data base I have..do this for the trigger and the pedal.
I found some samples in the preset kits to be barely audible even at max settings.

Maybe try assigning the TRIN-1 and HH pedal inputs to a Sync group (1-16) and with just a Hi-hat closed sound assigned to the HH pedal, which should prevent unwanted pads triggering and possibly allow better control of the splash sound.

I will get into everything eventually,I am still learning my way around it.There is a lot control features available.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 08:20:34 PM by Chaser »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2018, 11:53:54 PM »
I will get into everything eventually,I am still learning my way around it.There is a lot control features available.

Can you confirm me how much time it take to load a kit that use 38 samples, vs 18 samples?

I saw a video which taken about 4 seconds , how much sample was loaded? I don't know..
https://youtu.be/_c3fjkVwHD0?t=311
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 11:56:00 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2018, 01:13:10 AM »

Can you confirm me how much time it take to load a kit that use 38 samples, vs 18 samples?

I saw a video which taken about 4 seconds , how much sample was loaded? I don't know..
https://youtu.be/_c3fjkVwHD0?t=311

The footswitches don't have sounds assigned to them..in order to check if samples are loaded or not you have to have something connected to the input.."strike"..then the pad/trigger/pedal shows up and you can check samples to see if loaded or empty...There is no size indication of each sample or kit..so there is no way to "confirm" an exact time

They change fast..even with digital stop watch and using the "+" button instead of the knob to advance the kit's it's hard to time and that's including screen change which is a millisecond before the "loading" pops up.It takes 2 clicks to advance kits using the knob.The Multipad also starts up with the last kit used.

examples
1 Power Duel            2.58    18 samples
2 Cash Money           2.85    18 samples
3 Knife Jogger          2.37    18 samples
4 Piper Shuffle          2.82    18 samples
5 Ham and Beans     3.38    30 samples
6 Pink Tom               3.21    30 samples

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 02:44:55 AM »

The footswitches don't have sounds assigned to them..in order to check if samples are loaded or not you have to have something connected to the input.."strike"..then the pad/trigger/pedal shows up and you can check samples to see if loaded or empty...There is no size indication of each sample or kit..so there is no way to "confirm" an exact time

They change fast..even with digital stop watch and using the "+" button instead of the knob to advance the kit's it's hard to time and that's including screen change which is a millisecond before the "loading" pops up.It takes 2 clicks to advance kits using the knob.The Multipad also starts up with the last kit used.

examples
1 Power Duel            2.58    18 samples
2 Cash Money           2.85    18 samples
3 Knife Jogger          2.37    18 samples
4 Piper Shuffle          2.82    18 samples
5 Ham and Beans     3.38    30 samples
6 Pink Tom               3.21    30 samples

it's fine then, even if you have full backing track, it won't affect loading time, as they said, so let say max 4sec for 38 samples, still much better then sample rack, sample pad pro which was awful loading time and not usable live.

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
I picked one of these up in lieu of the SPX.   The build quality does seem pretty good.  The major problem that i see so far is --except in the looper- nothing is locked to the click track.  So all the BPM Loops you have will remain at their tempo no matter what the Kit BPM is- AND- they do not lock to the click even if the BPM is the same.  The delays are not locked to the click either- nothing really is.  I guess the clik track is more of a guide than anything else.  With all the R&D that went into this - i imagine that a software update in the future could remedy this.

I also have been unable to import any WAV files via USB thumb drive.  They state the drive must be formatted to FAT 32 and be under 32 gig with the files in the root folder at 16 bit 44.1.  The pad reads the drive, sees the files, and even plays them in preview- but will not import them.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 03:03:28 PM »
I picked one of these up in lieu of the SPX.   The build quality does seem pretty good.  The major problem that i see so far is --except in the looper- nothing is locked to the click track.  So all the BPM Loops you have will remain at their tempo no matter what the Kit BPM is- AND- they do not lock to the click even if the BPM is the same.  The delays are not locked to the click either- nothing really is.  I guess the clik track is more of a guide than anything else.  With all the R&D that went into this - i imagine that a software update in the future could remedy this.

I also have been unable to import any WAV files via USB thumb drive.  They state the drive must be formatted to FAT 32 and be under 32 gig with the files in the root folder at 16 bit 44.1.  The pad reads the drive, sees the files, and even plays them in preview- but will not import them.

SPD-SX does not lock to click track either on anything, it's separate,  in both case you need to imports a wav as click and link the pad. You need to record on the correct BPM at first.

Wav files must be probably on the root of the usb, not inside folder to imports.

But they said they will add improvement on BPM and sync etc.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:06:22 PM by ChrisK »

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »

SPD-SX does not lock to click track either on anything, it's separate,  in both case you need to imports a wav as click and link the pad. You need to record on the correct BPM at first.

Wav files must be probably on the root of the usb, not inside folder to imports.

But they said they will add improvement on BPM and sync etc.

Well yes, but the Roland is also at least 7 or 8 years old.  and yes the files are in the root part of the drive.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2018, 03:42:03 PM »
Well yes, but the Roland is also at least 7 or 8 years old.  and yes the files are in the root part of the drive.

I had the Roland spd-sx I sell it, I was not happy when I got it, not complete at all.  First model was 2gb, then 4gb, lately is 899$ for 16gb red special only. Pad feel is bad, the edge triggers are the worst I have seen on the market, you can't hit in lower sensitivity even at full sensitivity setting, they will never trigs, you need to hit them in angle with a minimal force, to activate them, no hihat supports, no layers option with layer a and b, velocity switch curve or cross fade  no round robin, no pad group cycle\ random, you are limited to 15 sound total per kit ( the sub layering is useless). The sound built in are not usable and there is only about 200 samples in the units, you are forced to imports all the time, there should have been at least 1000 sound in the units. Older SPD-S was more complete with layers, hihat, much better sound, but that is Roland doing downgrading,  same as they did with td-50.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2018, 04:04:23 PM »

I am using 256GB and 512GB USB 3.1 Flash drives and have no problem.

When you import.."single" imports to the pad/trigger/footswitch you are using..it will import to the layer you have highlighted/selected.

"multi" will import to user-new samples on the Multipad.
Make sure if you're importing directly to a pad etc,to make a note of the sample that was there if you ever want to go back.There is no "undo" or default back.

• Press F5–Single to load a single selected sample.
This will load the selected sample directly to the currently selected pad, trigger or footswitch.
• Press F6–Multi to  load  multiple  selected  samples.
All selected   samples   will   be   placed   into   the User>New Sample category.

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2018, 04:14:40 PM »

When you import.."single" imports to the pad/trigger/footswitch you are using..it will import to the layer you have highlighted/selected.

Make sure if you're importing directly to a pad etc,to make a note of the sample that was there if you ever want to go back.There is no "undo" or default back.

This will load the selected sample directly to the currently selected pad, trigger or footswitch.
All selected   samples   will   be   placed   into   the User>New Sample category.

I Did all that.  No matter what i do i get i get a "unsupported file format"  . Its bizarre since the pad will actually play the files in preview.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »

I Did all that.  No matter what i do i get i get a "unsupported file format"  . Its bizarre since the pad will actually play the files in preview.

I would double check the file properties... mono 705kbps.. stereo  1411kbps
I only had "unsupported format pop up" when I was trying to import 16/44100 multi channel wavs I constructed but forgot it adds up to something like 15523kbps.The Multipad recognized it ,but no go..

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:45:46 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »

I would double check the file properties... mono 705kbps.. stereo  1411kbps
I only had "unsupported format pop up" when I was trying to import 16/44100 multi channel wavs I constructed but forgot it adds up to something like 15523kbps.The Multipad recognized it ,but no go..

whoa. thats interesting.... I will check that out!

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2018, 11:11:50 PM »
just received my strike multipad  and I too am receiving unsupported format messages where I just  copied 11 samples from various folders to a thumb drive and only one played in the preview. I checked the properties of the sounds the 10 were higher than 16 bit, but these sounds are from newer commercial sample CDs I dont even know if 16 bit is the standard anymore

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
just received my strike multipad  and I too am receiving unsupported format messages where I just  copied 11 samples from various folders to a thumb drive and only one played in the preview. I checked the properties of the sounds the 10 were higher than 16 bit, but these sounds are from newer commercial sample CDs I dont even know if 16 bit is the standard anymore

I still haven't gotten a resolution to my problem.  I've been in contact with tech support but they left me hanging.  Ive even recorded samples onto the pad - dumped it on a thumb drive - and it says its own files are unsupported.  In my case i think its a software issue because i can save and load kits from the drive - so i know the port works

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2018, 04:38:20 PM »

convert to 16 bit. 44.1Khz

Offline rhysT

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2018, 06:19:46 PM »
Check out Switch Audio File Converter for various Wav sample rate options: https://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:20:27 PM by rhysT »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2019, 11:03:28 AM »