Author Topic: DM10 MKII Pro Hi-Hat MIDI Remapping  (Read 2003 times)

DM10 MKII Pro Hi-Hat MIDI Remapping
« on: September 23, 2021, 11:12:50 AM »
Hi everyone, first time posting and beginner with anything e-drum related. I've been scouring this forums for answers and while I have a good idea of the problem, I haven't found a definitive solution to it yet.

TLDR: how do I re-map only the open hi-hat note to a new MIDI note (and NOT the closed hi-hat note)? Is that even possible?

I've recently picked up Rock Band again and have been getting super into trying to get my Alesis kit to work with it. Currently I'm using an Alesis DM10 MKII Pro module to connect it to my Xbox 360 MIDI adapter via the MIDI Out port.
All in all, everyone works great, EXCEPT for the problem with the open hi hat note. See in Rock Band, there's no special note for open hi hat, and it's just treated as a Blue note, the same note as the Ride cymbal. So when I'm playing a song that does a string of closed hi hat notes and then does an open hi hat note, I have to quickly hit the ride cymbal to compensate. Obviously this isn't ideal and not a realistic way of playing.

To fix this, I heard that it you could, in theory, re-map the open hi hat MIDI note to a ride cymbal note. Problem is, after looking on the forums, it seems that the Alesis DM10 MKII modules (and others) don't allow for the remapping of the open hi hat sound because the open/closed sounds are tied to a single MIDI note! Seems that the sound is just determined by the CC#4 note?

Is there any way to remap only the open hi hat MIDI note and send it off to Rock Band correctly? I've never worked with external MIDI utils like MIDI-OX or others, but would I need to use those to take in the output of the DM10 MKII output, remap it on the fly, and then send it back out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Chaser

Re: DM10 MKII Pro Hi-Hat MIDI Remapping
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 01:04:48 PM »
Hi everyone, first time posting and beginner with anything e-drum related. I've been scouring this forums for answers and while I have a good idea of the problem, I haven't found a definitive solution to it yet.

TLDR: how do I re-map only the open hi-hat note to a new MIDI note (and NOT the closed hi-hat note)? Is that even possible?

I've recently picked up Rock Band again and have been getting super into trying to get my Alesis kit to work with it. Currently I'm using an Alesis DM10 MKII Pro module to connect it to my Xbox 360 MIDI adapter via the MIDI Out port.
All in all, everyone works great, EXCEPT for the problem with the open hi hat note. See in Rock Band, there's no special note for open hi hat, and it's just treated as a Blue note, the same note as the Ride cymbal. So when I'm playing a song that does a string of closed hi hat notes and then does an open hi hat note, I have to quickly hit the ride cymbal to compensate. Obviously this isn't ideal and not a realistic way of playing.

To fix this, I heard that it you could, in theory, re-map the open hi hat MIDI note to a ride cymbal note. Problem is, after looking on the forums, it seems that the Alesis DM10 MKII modules (and others) don't allow for the remapping of the open hi hat sound because the open/closed sounds are tied to a single MIDI note! Seems that the sound is just determined by the CC#4 note?

Is there any way to remap only the open hi hat MIDI note and send it off to Rock Band correctly? I've never worked with external MIDI utils like MIDI-OX or others, but would I need to use those to take in the output of the DM10 MKII output, remap it on the fly, and then send it back out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The DM10 MKII Studio (Medeli DD650) has the open/closed tied to one note(#8) and CC.. you can't change it..
The DM10 MKII Pro You can change the Hi Hat open note..(#46)..you'll have to save as a user kit..
The DM10 MKII Pro also supports a Dual Zone Hi Hat...

DM10 MKII  Pro MIDI chart attached..
DM10 MKII Pro User Guide  pg7
Years ago I did a custom program for drums only with all the Alesis profiles based on PhaseShift..just never got around to hosting/posting anywhere as there wasn't much of interest.
Phase Shift eventually went on Steam..

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 01:18:51 PM »

The DM10 MKII Pro You can change the Hi Hat open note..(#46)..you'll have to save as a user kit..

That's what makes it more frustrating, I know they show MIDI note assignments for open and closed hi hat, but I can't get the open hi hat note to show up when trying to edit the note in the module! It always shows up as a Hi-Hat Bow note, no matter if the HH pedal is up or down. For the record, I'm using a DM8 kit with the DM10 MKII module, but I assume that the DM8 kit uses the same RealHat Pedal as the DM10 MKII kit. It acts completely right, open HH sounds open, and closed HH sounds closed.

How do I properly access that open hi-hat note to edit the MIDI note properly?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 01:52:30 PM »

That's what makes it more frustrating, I know they show MIDI note assignments for open and closed hi hat, but I can't get the open hi hat note to show up when trying to edit the note in the module! It always shows up as a Hi-Hat Bow note, no matter if the HH pedal is up or down. For the record, I'm using a DM8 kit with the DM10 MKII module, but I assume that the DM8 kit uses the same RealHat Pedal as the DM10 MKII kit. It acts completely right, open HH sounds open, and closed HH sounds closed.

How do I properly access that open hi-hat note to edit the MIDI note properly?

The Bow/Pedal up (46) is the open note..the Bow/Pedal down is the closed note (42)..Pedal only "chick" is (44)..sharp down/up on the Pedal is the Splash (21)
KIT > EDIT > VOICE..cursor down to MIDI note..Turn the DATA Dial  to change it then hit F3/Save.
You'll then be prompted to the KIT/SAVE screen.Save it as Rock Band or whatever then open the Kit and re-assign all the MIDI notes saving after you do each one to ensure it's saved...eventually you'll have a User kit that is for Rock Band
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:58:03 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 02:11:59 PM »
The Bow/Pedal up (46) is the open note..the Bow/Pedal down is the closed note (42)..Pedal only "chick" is (44)..sharp down/up on the Pedal is the Splash (21)

So I only get three notes to show up when trying all hi-hat combinations: Hihat Bow (with and without pedal), Pedal only ("chick" sound), and Splash.
I cannot for the life of me get a different note for hi-hat open vs closed. I scroll down to the "MIDI Note" section of "Hihat Bow" and it only shows one MIDI Note when I do both open and closed.

What should the open and closed HH note names look like? Could you show pictures for both settings?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 02:36:14 PM »

So I only get three notes to show up when trying all hi-hat combinations: Hihat Bow (with and without pedal), Pedal only ("chick" sound), and Splash.
I cannot for the life of me get a different note for hi-hat open vs closed. I scroll down to the "MIDI Note" section of "Hihat Bow" and it only shows one MIDI Note when I do both open and closed.

What should the open and closed HH note names look like? Could you show pictures for both settings?

The module is always going to send MIDI Note 42 for CLOSED Bow...No matter which MIDI Note is assigned to the Bow...it cannot be changed and there is no option to change the MIDI assignment for CLOSED...42 is the standard MIDI note for CLOSED bow.
The same applies to the Edge...No matter what MIDI note is assigned to the Edge...the MIDI note sent for CLOSED Edge is 22.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 02:52:47 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 04:06:30 PM »
Wow, you're a life-saver. That was the missing piece that I didn't know. I changed the hi-hat MIDI note to 51, and lo and behold, it acts only as a ride cymbal on open hi-hat just like you said!

I can't thank you enough. You've saved me many more hours of troubleshooting and saved me from giving up.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 04:40:36 PM »
Wow, you're a life-saver. That was the missing piece that I didn't know. I changed the hi-hat MIDI note to 51, and lo and behold, it acts only as a ride cymbal on open hi-hat just like you said!

I can't thank you enough. You've saved me many more hours of troubleshooting and saved me from giving up.

There were a lot of changes going on during the RB popularity..a lot depended on which platform Xbox..Wii..PS PC etc etc and earlier RB versions didn't have all the articulations...then MadCatz went BK after "putting all their eggs in one basket"..hardware/software and RB was sold off etc...
I think it was around RB3 when Madcatz came out with the "MIDI Pro adapter" (still available) for all the platforms which allowed more MIDI notes and different modules became compatible as years ago a number of modules didn't have the ability/feature to change MIDI notes and there were a number of DIY boxes that came out..
It was one of the reasons I went with PC and PhaseShift with a profiler.

Rock Band 3 MIDI PRO-Adapter features an onboard MIDI Note Map to communicate with theRock Band 3 game software.The table below (attached) specifies MIDI Transmit Numbers per trigger type, along with the corresponding in-game function. BOLD numbers are defined by the current MIDI Specification. Subsequent numbers are assignments used by various electronic drum manufacturers

RB MAPPING STD MIDI MAPPING
38-SNARE-RED PAD
48-HI TOM-YELLOW
45-LOW TOM- BLUE PAD
41-FLOOR TOM- GREEN PAD
22-HI HAT CYMBAL- YELLOW CYMBAL
51-RIDE-BLUE CYMBAL
49-CRASH-GREEN CYMBAL
33-KICK-KICK PEDAL
44-HI HAT PEDAL
CC#4 HH PEDAL POSITION