Author Topic: EZDrummer cheap  (Read 3943 times)

EZDrummer cheap
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »
Anybody thinking of getting into VSTs: I noticed that Guitar Center has EZDrummer on sale for $50.  (And it appears to be at Musician's friend for the same price.)

Since I "split my set" (took the D4 away from the DrumKat, out to the garage where I have space to set up a full pad set), I've been toying with the VST idea; the MIDI synths I've been triggering from the DrumKat don't cut it so well.  So I'm taking the plunge.

I'm not affiliated with GC or MF in any way, appart from being an occasional customer.  I just wanted to share a good deal I almost didn't notice.  I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules.
Alesis D4 with old simmons hex pads, frisbees w/ piezos and rockband cymbals, and an experimental mesh-head snare conversion; DrumKat 3.8 with pintech kick & hat pedal.

Offline Hellfire

Re: EZDrummer cheap
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:38:45 PM »
Anybody thinking of getting into VSTs: I noticed that Guitar Center has EZDrummer on sale for $50.  (And it appears to be at Musician's friend for the same price.)

Since I "split my set" (took the D4 away from the DrumKat, out to the garage where I have space to set up a full pad set), I've been toying with the VST idea; the MIDI synths I've been triggering from the DrumKat don't cut it so well.  So I'm taking the plunge.

I'm not affiliated with GC or MF in any way, appart from being an occasional customer.  I just wanted to share a good deal I almost didn't notice.  I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules.
Thanks for the FYI on EXDrummer.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:55:42 AM »
Just a heads up, EZ Drummer is not a good option to control from the DM10 module. The midi notes in EZ Drummer are all premapped and locked, you can't change them like you can in Superior Drummer or BFD. Being the DM10 locks the ride and hihat notes you will find it as a rather limiting setback. Add on EZX kits like Drumkit from Hell have several ride cymbals in a few different positions, you will only be able to use one ride sound, the one that matches the DM10's locked note number.

I also wasn't able to get the hihat control working but I honestly didn't spend much time on it as I have DFH Superior which is what I primarily use.

Rev.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 11:21:59 AM »
@Rev2010: You think this issue is an issue on the Alesis iO module too?

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »
Don't know as I don't own an IO. I'd think though that on the IO you should be able to change the notes for the hihat and ride, maybe Hellfire can better answer this for you. Phil?

Rev.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:03:15 AM »
@Rev2010: You think this issue is an issue on the Alesis iO module too?

this is NOT a problem for the Alesis IO.  the only thing 'locked' on the IO is the Ride input (#4) is not selectable for anything but piezo / switch.

EVERY input (both zones) can be edited for the MIDI note of your choice.

SSD also has locked down MIDI notes, and the IO worked great for me on SSD.  Just a bit of extra work - the IO sends hi-hat messages on CC4, SSD expected CC1, and the signal was reversed - I found a software solution called MIDIPipe for the Mac.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:08:59 AM »
Toontrack's sales come in two! Superior Drummer 2.0 is now 149.99!!!!! its HALF-PRICE until the 30th of Sept!!! I know what im buying before the 30th! Try and guess.
With Great Drums, Come Great Responsibility

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 01:51:41 PM »
thanks for the update!
Maybe in the future I'd go for EZdrummer instead. I'm not so comfortable with MIDI soft yet, and don't have the budget to cough up $150 for a drum set.
I'd probably buy it if the price gets halved again.

At the moment still looking into several modules from the different brands.. I find the Alesis studio USB (with io module) for 599 is still too expensive for me, and has many feats I don't need (like I only need single zone toms), and has many not that I do need (like I need to purchase a bass pedal)...

But so far not much interesting found. Most of the Roland gear is too expensive, and I've seen many reviews where mix and matching brands is giving troubles in the volume of the pads.