Author Topic: Connecting two Alesis modules  (Read 756 times)

Connecting two Alesis modules
« on: November 25, 2021, 01:39:17 PM »
So I am connecting two Alesis modules together to add more pads/cymbals and I was wondering if the sounds of the slave module can be changed independent of the sounds of the master. I have a strike pro se as the master with a surge module as a slave. Using midi out from surge to midi in on the strike.
I have two old surge cymbals connect to the surge crash 2 and Tom 4 outputs and when I hit them they mimic the sounds I have for crash 2 and Tom 4 also. I have messed with the midi settings in the surge to no avail. Anyone know if I can change the sounds for the added pads? Thanks for the help.

Re: Connecting two Alesis modules
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 05:47:51 PM »
So I am connecting two Alesis modules together to add more pads/cymbals and I was wondering if the sounds of the slave module can be changed independent of the sounds of the master. I have a strike pro se as the master with a surge module as a slave. Using midi out from surge to midi in on the strike.
I have two old surge cymbals connect to the surge crash 2 and Tom 4 outputs and when I hit them they mimic the sounds I have for crash 2 and Tom 4 also. I have messed with the midi settings in the surge to no avail. Anyone know if I can change the sounds for the added pads? Thanks for the help.
You can?t you can not add instruments (pads/cymbals) through midi. The only way to use both the Surge and the Strike is to connect them on audio level. Connect the headphone out of the Surge to the aux in of the Strike. Your additional cymbals will have sounds generated by the Surge module.

Connecting on midi level:
From your description I guess your Surge produces the same midi notes as the Strike. You need to separate them by changing the midi notes on the Strike module for crash2 and tom4. But your Strike module will not add the Surge cymbals. It will simply ignore the midi notes coming from the midi in. (Midi in us only used for passthru or to replace existing instruments)

If you want to build a monster kit with homogenous sounds then you will have to connect the whole shebang to a pc and use software such as ezdrummer or superior drummer to convert the incoming midi notes to drum instruments. In this case you must again ensure the the midi notes from the Surge aren?t the same as the midi notes from the Strike.

Re: Connecting two Alesis modules
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 08:22:03 PM »
I actually have configured that way but I couldn?t use my phone cause the jack is occupied. So would I just then have use a mixer to be able to use the phone and the surge at the same time?