Author Topic: what is the difference  (Read 687 times)

Offline RZ

what is the difference
« on: October 12, 2021, 01:38:34 PM »
Hi all.  Been away for a while, but now getting back into e-drums.  I'm looking to get a new module for my existing set.  I have bass, snare, 4 toms, hi hat, & 5 cymbals (Rolands).  While researching online, I see a Strike Pro and a Strike.  I'm not even seeing a Strike Pro for sale.  Is this the older unit?  Anyway, I would appreciate some direction on what I need.  Seems my current set would work with the Strike or Pro.  What would you recommend.  Thanks!! Ron

Offline Chaser

Re: what is the difference
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 02:18:08 PM »
Hi all.  Been away for a while, but now getting back into e-drums.  I'm looking to get a new module for my existing set.  I have bass, snare, 4 toms, hi hat, & 5 cymbals (Rolands).  While researching online, I see a Strike Pro and a Strike.  I'm not even seeing a Strike Pro for sale.  Is this the older unit?  Anyway, I would appreciate some direction on what I need.  Seems my current set would work with the Strike or Pro.  What would you recommend.  Thanks!! Ron

The STRIKE modules are all the same..the Pro Kit had an Extra Tom and Crash Cymbal..
The Holiday season is approaching and with supply chain interruption this year you may see deals earlier than normal
and since NAMM 2022 has been moved  to June it's unknown if anyone is going to announce new products around the Holidays...

Currently a New module is $799.00..(Guitar Center,Sweetwater etc) used ones on ebay/Reverb are usually 500+..
Guitar Center honors 20% off coupons..I just checked as I have received a number of coupons recently.. it put a New module at $639.20..

Offline RZ

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 02:54:28 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Where do you find the coupons?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 06:49:34 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Where do you find the coupons?

Do you have an account with GC?...members often get sent coupons especially if you purchase quite a bit.I have had an account since..forever..
If you want to purchase a module now I can send you a coupon good until 10/18...if you'll use it

Offline RZ

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 09:57:19 AM »
Oh wow that's super nice.  I'm heading out of town in a few hours and won't be back till Sunday.  May have time Monday when I get back, but I don't want to waste the coupon.  If you're not going to use it and it's going to expire anyway, I'll certainly give it a shot.  Very nice of you and thanks.  Ron

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 10:37:25 AM »
Oh wow that's super nice.  I'm heading out of town in a few hours and won't be back till Sunday.  May have time Monday when I get back, but I don't want to waste the coupon.  If you're not going to use it and it's going to expire anyway, I'll certainly give it a shot.  Very nice of you and thanks.  Ron

GC just put the STRIKE module on Back Order status..but you should still be able to apply coupon.
Back Order Status these days is hard to figure out..days..weeks or... months and months..

Offline RZ

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 01:45:12 PM »
Got back early.  Wondering since Musicians friend owns Guitar Center (or visa versa) if they'd take that coupon?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 03:03:10 PM »
Got back early.  Wondering since Musicians friend owns Guitar Center (or visa versa) if they'd take that coupon?

Actually Musicians Friend was originally intended/purchased to be Guitar Centers E-Commerce Store
I checked tho..WWBW..Musicians Friend etc..all have it on backorder.

Guitar Center Family of Brands

NOTE:
They all show the same "open box" module for $703.12...coupon won't apply tho..
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:07:46 PM by Chaser »

Offline RZ

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 09:45:06 AM »
Thanks for sending the coupon.  I wasn't able to open the link, but it's ok.  Since they're out of stock, I'll get the unit eventually.  Ron

Offline RZ

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 11:32:20 AM »
I've learned a lot since my first post.  Thanks for the help.  I realize the difference I was asking about was the "Strike Pro" difference.  That seems to refer to the full kits.  I was looking for the module which I now understand to be the Strike.  Just got off the phone with Sweetwater and they offered to give me 15% off - delivered.  I should have the unit on Tuesday.  Pretty excited.  Thanks again!!!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 09:42:20 PM »
Thanks for sending the coupon.  I wasn't able to open the link, but it's ok.  Since they're out of stock, I'll get the unit eventually.  Ron

No problem...too bad they went out of stock and on back order...they are probably in a container sitting off the coast not far from here...lol.
A couple weeks before your post there was an ebay seller that was offering 25 of the STRIKE Modules "Refurbished with Factory Warranty"...for around $450.00.
They went pretty fast.
An Alesis Repair Center is in the same state (Nevada)

I've learned a lot since my first post.  Thanks for the help.  I realize the difference I was asking about was the "Strike Pro" difference.  That seems to refer to the full kits.  I was looking for the module which I now understand to be the Strike.  Just got off the phone with Sweetwater and they offered to give me 15% off - delivered.  I should have the unit on Tuesday.  Pretty excited.  Thanks again!!!

Sweetwater does pretty well price matching , glad they gave you a discount.
Don't forget to download the STRIKE v1.5 User Guide if you haven't already.It helps to review it a few times...and the STRIKE Editor User Guide.

Alesis added a separate product page for the STRIKE Module ,but for some reason no firmware/update links etc

Here are the links to the Knowledge Base for the STRIKE Series..FAQ'sTrouble shooting,Trigger optimization,Video Tutorials etc.
The AlesisVideo Youtube channel has all of them...there haven't been any news ones in a couple years...at least

EDIT:
Added Multiple Links
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 10:17:47 PM by Chaser »

Offline RZ

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 10:23:28 AM »
Again thank you for all your help.  I have begun reviewing the manual and realize there is much to learn.  When I get it, hopefully tomorrow, I'll get started.  My initial plan is to exchange the cabling from my TD20 into the correlating inputs on the Strike.  From there I'll play around and check out the kits and sounds.  I'm hoping it comes already with 1.5 loaded, but if not, then that's another step I'll be learning.  I use a laptop in my music room which through usb houses my recorder, my Pod Go and now the Strike.  I'll download the Alesis editor soon and have it ready.

I'm excited to learn something new and much appreciation for all the knowledge so far.
Ron

Offline Chaser

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2021, 11:05:20 AM »
Again thank you for all your help.  I have begun reviewing the manual and realize there is much to learn.  When I get it, hopefully tomorrow, I'll get started.  My initial plan is to exchange the cabling from my TD20 into the correlating inputs on the Strike.  From there I'll play around and check out the kits and sounds.  I'm hoping it comes already with 1.5 loaded, but if not, then that's another step I'll be learning.  I use a laptop in my music room which through usb houses my recorder, my Pod Go and now the Strike.  I'll download the Alesis editor soon and have it ready.

I'm excited to learn something new and much appreciation for all the knowledge so far.
Ron

All  NEW modules produced after Nov 2019 will have v1.5.The product page for the module was listed since then when it became available separately..probably why there is no Firmware updates in the download section as there hasn't been any.

TD20?..so you are using a VH12 Hi Hat?...the Open/Closed( Ohm range) will be different.
The Hi Hat Instruments in the STRIKE module each have different transitions/velocity/sample ranges with the same Hi Hat being used on multiple kits.
You'll notice some have a closed>tight>loose>1/2>3/4>Full...some have closed >1/2>full..etc..some have the samples divided up into multiple velocity ranges while others may have the samples all in one range..like 0-127.Amp/Spank have more transition range than Big Bird.
It's a matter of looking at them while in the editor and seeing how they were constructed.
Unfortunately Alesis didn't use all the samples available for each Hi Hat to construct full range Hi Hats.This is more than likely because they realized too late that Stereo samples use up twice the space and polyphony as mono...an example would be Big Bird HH which has over 35MB in samples but roughly only 1/3 applied.
I don't participate in Social Media sites , but there is a STRIKE Pro Owners Group on Facebook which is Private but from my understanding there is Kit preset sharing so you may want to check there if you are on Facebook..maybe someone is using a similar setup with the TD20 if you run into any issues or need help troubleshooting with that combination.

Offline RZ

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 04:11:04 PM »
Great timing!  I finally got the module and just connected it.  The hi hat is certainly a problem.  Not sure which Roland version I have, but when I hit it, it just rings and never closes.  So I would need to find that remedy.  I'm getting cross talk between instruments and one of the cymbals does nothing.  I'm also missing one cymbal input, but that's no biggie.  I need to determine if I can get this module working with my kit or I'll have to return it unfortunately.  I'll be looking around for help.  I think I'm part of that Alesis facebook site so I'll be asking questions there as well.

I really want this to work so I'll give it all I can to make it play nice with my Rolands. 
Thanks, Ron

Offline Chaser

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 05:38:37 PM »
Great timing!  I finally got the module and just connected it.  The hi hat is certainly a problem.  Not sure which Roland version I have, but when I hit it, it just rings and never closes.  So I would need to find that remedy.  I'm getting cross talk between instruments and one of the cymbals does nothing.  I'm also missing one cymbal input, but that's no biggie.  I need to determine if I can get this module working with my kit or I'll have to return it unfortunately.  I'll be looking around for help.  I think I'm part of that Alesis facebook site so I'll be asking questions there as well.

I really want this to work so I'll give it all I can to make it play nice with my Rolands. 
Thanks, Ron

Hi Hats can be a pain especially if you are mixing and matching Brands etc.. for E-Kits I always press down on the pedal..loosen the top cymbal and press it down firmly while holding the pedal down..then tighten the top..that should give you a starting point as it should be closed , then if you are missing full open or splash start raising the top cymbal a little at a time...

I am presuming you have all the TD20 kit pieces so it's a CY-14C Cymbal that is doing nothing...?
Is your Ride a CY-15R?.If it is a CY-15R is it plugged into Ride 1? and Ride2?...or just one cable to Ride 1 the CY-14C into Ride2?
I don't know if you can use both outputs of the CY-15R simultaneously.. I believe you use one or the other..not both..I could be wrong.
I remember reading somewhere where it had "selectable dual trigger" slide switch...

The STRIKE module requires a (2) Cable Ride...Ride 2 input won't work for anything else as it's part of the Ride circuit..

It would be helpful if I had a better idea of which triggers/kit pieces you have if not the original TD20 setup..

Offline RZ

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2021, 09:10:54 AM »
I so appreciate the help.  I'm a bit under the weather right now, but as soon as I can, I will look for model numbers of everything.   

Offline Chaser

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2021, 09:30:47 AM »
I so appreciate the help.  I'm a bit under the weather right now, but as soon as I can, I will look for model numbers of everything.

No worries....these days it is pretty common for kits to be a combination of multiple brands for kit pieces or some DIY in them especially since the focus
has changed to having kits look as much like an acoustic as possible.
Another option you have is since the TD20 is already setup with the current triggers dialed in you could always experiment with just running a 5 pin MIDI cable to the STRIKE module and assign the MIDI notes to match and use it as a sound module or if using a Vst/Software you would now have a lot more kit pieces that could be added,trigger splitting (instead of Y cables) etc.
When testing different Hi Hats/pedals and other Triggers  I ran into a TriggerIO and a few others like MIDI patch bays then MIDI to the STRIKE module for testing and it worked quite well.
I took a couple STRIKE modules and pulled the internal card and replaced the samples/converted into a DAMAGE kit for a friend who does Film/Gaming programming..scares the cr*p out of the dog tho...doesn't like Lightning/Thunder etc
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 09:58:35 AM by Chaser »

Offline RZ

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 12:09:49 PM »
Good thought on the 20 however, I'm trying to keep it simple.  That may be the problem with the strike is it's not simple and I'm not sure I'm capable of figuring out the tweaks to get it to perform with my set.  Once I can get around moving normally (hurt my back), I'll see about the model numbers.  The TD20 is plug and play no tweaking needed and I assume the TD30 would be as well.  I just wanted to get a fresh updated module like the Strike to bring me up to date.  Hoping it can be done.

Offline RZ

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2021, 03:37:49 PM »
I was able to give the editor a go today.  I wasn't sucessful getting the hi hat to perform like a hi hat.  I also notice, I'm getting a ride cymbal along with the hi hat sounds.  When I look at the module, sure enough, when I hit the hi hat, the ride lights up as well.  This happens to another cymbal.  And, when I adjust the sound of one of the cymbals, it controls the sound of the ride.  I just moved each cord from the TD20 to the strike using the exact same spots.  So, I'm beginning to thing I either sell my full Roland set and get the Alesis, or send back the Strike and live with the TD20 or upgrade another roland module. 

I have a call into Alesis tech as a last resort.  Again thanks to all for your help.  I haven't given up yet . . . . .

Offline Chaser

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2021, 03:15:02 PM »
I was able to give the editor a go today.    I also notice, I'm getting a ride cymbal along with the hi hat sounds.  When I look at the module, sure enough, when I hit the hi hat, the ride lights up as well.  This happens to another cymbal.  And, when I adjust the sound of one of the cymbals, it controls the sound of the ride.  I just moved each cord from the TD20 to the strike using the exact same spots.

It sounds like you have cross talk issues or incorrect sensitivity, threshold or a combination of all of the above ,the Hi Hat (if 2 pc VH12 etc) would be on a stand separate from the rack and there are multiple triggers (crash/rack toms) between the Hi Hat and the Ride..
Voice and trigger settings are separate so adjusting Voice parameters for one instrument should not affect another Instrument/ Voice.

It's hard to say without knowing which triggers you have..factory triggers or if you purchased a kit that was pieced together.The TD20 was released over 15 years ago before, even the original DM10.
Here is the original DM10 chart that was for Roland/Yamaha compatibility...whatever is on that chart is more than likely compatible with the STRIKE Series.
Alesis triggers are for the most part all compatible.The original DM10 was updated to the Pro-X , which is the same bottom controller on the original STRIKE Hi Hat.
Roland triggers aren't always compatible with Roland products and a number of the modules had the feature/option to select the actual trigger(PD,CY etc etc) and the trigger preset/settings were applied for it.

I wasn't successful getting the hi hat to perform like a hi hat.

As far as Roland..I have setup VH12 Hi Hat along with Goedrum controllers(Roland 20kOhm) and they work , just the range is different
and it depends on what you consider "perform like a hi hat"..different playing styles use different hi hat techniques.

For the Hi Hat try a different Curve setting.Choose Log 1-4 to favor more closed and mid sounds, and EXP 1-4 to favor more open sounds.

From the information I have read or seen ..the Roland Cymbals are Hotter so you have to reduce sensitivity Alesis Strike Pro with Roland Pads/Cymbals..otherwise it's hit or miss...same with the toms/rims and Hi Hats with some reporting the VH series worked..it all depends on which Roland/trigger model you are using.
Some over at Vdrums have had no problems Alesis Roland compatibilty..others gave up.. a couple listed the triggers they are using so if you ever figure out what you have you can compare.

I have a call into Alesis tech as a last resort.  Again thanks to all for your help.  I haven't given up yet . . . . .

Even if you get contacted there is no Tech for "compatibility questions" and you'll probably get a scripted reply and "Roland not officially supported" and pointed in the direction of the links I posted above..it's not going to be anywhere near simple or "plug-n-play"

Offline RZ

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2021, 10:50:44 AM »
Never heard back from Alesis.  I've read the manual, watched videos and attempted to tweak the hi hats.  Unfortunately I'm having no luck and I'm going to assume it's user error.  I've contacted Sweetwater and asked for a return.  All I want to do is play not tweak.  Thank you for all your help.  It's much appreciated.  Good luck to all.  Thanks, Ron