Author Topic: Help a new guy!  (Read 1376 times)

Help a new guy!
« on: August 12, 2021, 01:07:59 PM »
Guys (and gals):  I want to be able to connect my iPhone to my Alesis Surge eDrums and play along to a Spotify playlist, monitoring it through headphones.  How to do it?  Do I need a MIDI for that and if so, can
 you recommend one?   Thanks in advance and grateful for any help.

Offline Chaser

Re: Help a new guy!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 03:45:33 PM »
Guys (and gals):  I want to be able to connect my iPhone to my Alesis Surge eDrums and play along to a Spotify playlist, monitoring it through headphones.  How to do it?  Do I need a MIDI for that and if so, can
 you recommend one?   Thanks in advance and grateful for any help.

Surge User Guide v1.2

pg 3 Connection Diagram

2. Aux In: Use a standard 1/8”  stereo cable to connect this input to an optional audio player
(e.g,.Smartphone, MP3 player, CD player, etc.).
This audio will be heard in the Outputs and Phones output.
During recording,the audio from this input will not be recorded.

As far as using an iPhone it depends on which model (how old) and which iOS (10 an above)
The audio/headphone plug was removed years ago.
If it is a newer iPhone you'll need a Lightning to 3.5mm jack adapter/dongle..(currently USB C isn't on any iPhone models)
Apple stopped including it free with the last few models.
The Headphone adapter is for sending audio only from the iPhone ...the audio adapter is for Bi-directional audio if you also want to send audio to the iPhone (recording etc)..there are various models including a charging port option.

Re: Help a new guy!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 06:37:32 AM »
Thanks very much!  I picked up the tackle at Best Buy and I'm in business!  Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie!