Author Topic: Remapping drums for garage band.  (Read 2464 times)

Remapping drums for garage band.
« on: September 17, 2021, 02:36:10 PM »
I’m pretty new to all this so please excuse my ignorance. I’m trying to run my alesis turbo kit through garage band on my phone which has been great except for one part. My high hat won’t stay closed. From what I’ve been able to gather I need remap the drums but I can’t figure how exactly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Offline Chaser

Re: Remapping drums for garage band.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 04:09:33 PM »
I’m pretty new to all this so please excuse my ignorance. I’m trying to run my alesis turbo kit through garage band on my phone which has been great except for one part. My high hat won’t stay closed. From what I’ve been able to gather I need remap the drums but I can’t figure how exactly. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Welcome to the Forum !

GarageBand iOS has FIXED MIDI mapping...you can't change it..and there is no MIDI learn feature in GarageBand.
There are different mappings for the Kits and the Drum Machines..

The Turbo/Debut/DM Lite/E-Drum Total are based on the Medeli DD401....they are very limited modules and you cannot change the MIDI assignments.
The link will provide you with a much more "In-depth" manual..MIDI Map is on pg 20.
The Alesis User Guides don't list the MIDI map but it more than likely matches the default Medeli DD401.

There is no closed note (42) sent from the module for Hi Hat Closed... just open/pedal/splash

Turbo/Debut/DM Lite/E-Drum Total/DD401 MIDI
36-Kick
38-Snare
48-Tom1
45-Tom2
43-Tom3
51-Ride
49-Crash
46-HiHat Open
44-HiHat Pedal
21-Splash

The Turbo mapping in GarageBand.. you are probably getting..

Hi Mid Tom for Tom1
Low Tom for Tom2
Floor Tom for Tom3

There have been a number of complicated MIDI re-rerouting apps for iOS over the years but most have become "abandonware" and would not help you as the module doesn't send the MIDI note required which is a very specific note (42) as it is a combination note..The Pedal must be down and the Hi Hat struck simultaneously..

I posted the So Cal MIDI Map but I never got around to finding/posting the other mappings.