Author Topic: Alesis 3 Zone Ride Cymbal Help  (Read 1902 times)

Alesis 3 Zone Ride Cymbal Help
« on: August 02, 2021, 06:37:36 PM »
Hi all,
I am having trouble with an Alesis 3 Zone ride cymbal (the one with the two jacks) and a brand new Alesis Strike Module.

The cymbal was just serviced by Smartrigger and like I said the module is new.

I am getting the bow to trigger and the edge when I whack it hard but.. no bell sound. I have tried plugging in ride 1 and 2  from the module but still only get the bow/edge.

I tried switching the cables, no change.

I hope I am missing something basic.

I did try a Hart Dynamics 2 zone Ecymbal II with the ride one input and it worked fine I had both bow and bell

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline Chaser

Re: Alesis 3 Zone Ride Cymbal Help
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 11:35:48 AM »
Hi all,
I am having trouble with an Alesis 3 Zone ride cymbal (the one with the two jacks) and a brand new Alesis Strike Module.

The cymbal was just serviced by Smartrigger and like I said the module is new.

I am getting the bow to trigger and the edge when I whack it hard but.. no bell sound. I have tried plugging in ride 1 and 2  from the module but still only get the bow/edge.

I tried switching the cables, no change.

I hope I am missing something basic.

I did try a Hart Dynamics 2 zone Ecymbal II with the ride one input and it worked fine I had both bow and bell

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The 3 Zone Surge Ride is Piezo/Piezo/Switch with a ring Piezo in the Bell.
Originally the Smartrigger cymbals came out for supporting Roland then the Licensed Surge for Alesis...and later on the Licensed E-Classics for Pearl/Redbox.
The first kit was the DM5 Pro....

which later became the USB Pro

...then later the DM10 Pro

The problem for the STRIKE module is the Ride circuit...mainly the Ride 2 input...it doesn't interpret Piezo..
With Note Chase on... connect a standard Piezo/Switch cymbal to the Ride 2 input and you will notice the Bow does not trigger.. the Edge(switch) barely triggers and when you squeeze the choke it will display the Ride Bow.

The original DM10 module has a setting for a 2 Zone Ride and 3 Zone Ride which allowed the Ride 2 input to be used as a standard 2 zone input.The STRIKE module doesn't have that option and the Ride 2 input can't be used for anything other than the Ride Circuit.

With the STRIKE series I started off with just the STRIKE module but had a couple sets of Surge cymbals and the Realheads converted to mesh...spent hours (as Alesis never responded to emails for the Ride.)trying to figure it out..changing trigger types..increased sensitivities...changed sensitivity in Utility to High,swapped inputs..different combinations of inputs..cables...dummy plugs etc etc.

Conclusion....it's either how the cymbal is wired (Piezo/Piezo/Switch)..the Ride 2 input and/or a combination of both...before you spend countless hours and pulling your hair out...the 3 Zone dual cable Surge Ride isn't fully compatible with the STRIKE module...even if you figure out a way (that I may have missed) to use different inputs the best you'll be able to get is partial functionality and you'll lose an input (Ride 2)

EDIT:
I attached all the info I have from those years...Smartrigger User Guides..compatibility Guide etc with all the Roland module settings...not much for the Alesis modules as far as settings... the guide referenced to using the Surge Cymbal guide that came with Alesis modules and everything Surge related has been removed from Alesis except for some kits with pics.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 03:44:00 PM by Chaser »

Re: Alesis 3 Zone Ride Cymbal Help
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 02:12:31 AM »
Than you. I have sent a few hours ripping my hair out!

I tried both of my Surge ride cymbals, I have the dual jack and the single jack rides.

Nothing but bow!

It seems that the Strike module is not as Flexible as the DM10

I may be selling the Strike!

Unless I can find a suitable ride cymbal that works and looks like a Surge cymbal