Author Topic: hello. i’m trying to fix a latency issue  (Read 1010 times)

hello. i’m trying to fix a latency issue
« on: July 19, 2021, 04:36:59 PM »
i did search, but it brought up stuff from 2013. not sure.

but basically. i’m using ableton live 11 lite & garageband (both on mac). my midi keyboard/controller works fine with zero latency for both programs, but my Surge always has a slight delay. it’s enough where it’s impossible to play unless i turned the volume all the way down or something. just wondering if there is a fix. i did turn the buffet size from 512 all the way down to 32. and it did help. but there is still enough delay where it sounds like a flam.
alesis surge, arturia minilab mk2, ableton, ios • new to midi

Offline Chaser

Re: hello. i’m trying to fix a latency issue
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 12:00:12 PM »
i did search, but it brought up stuff from 2013. not sure.

but basically. i’m using ableton live 11 lite & garageband (both on mac). my midi keyboard/controller works fine with zero latency for both programs, but my Surge always has a slight delay. it’s enough where it’s impossible to play unless i turned the volume all the way down or something. just wondering if there is a fix. i did turn the buffet size from 512 all the way down to 32. and it did help. but there is still enough delay where it sounds like a flam.

Ableton Lite and Garageband(entry level Logic) are both entry level DAW's..
Alesis modules have Class Compliant Drivers while Yamaha , Roland have their own drivers that need to be installed per OS.
Since the module is recognized etc in the software you have most of the problems users have ..already solved..
Check with the MIDI settings in MIDI Studio..it's different for each macOS.The link has a menu (upper left)  for selecting OS.
I haven't used Ableton in years..was a Beta Tester and still get Beta testing releases frequently but I rarley install/test anymore..there isn't enough time.
Ableton has Delay Compensation so the tracks sync to the one with the most latency so check into that.
The rest of the links may be helpful...also check with the Ableton Forum ..there is a lot of troubleshooting support there.

Apple MIDI

Delay Compensation FAQ

Synchronizing Live via MIDI

How To Set Up Electronic Drums In Ableton

Re: hello. i’m trying to fix a latency issue
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 02:49:42 AM »
thanks for
the reply ! i fixed it tho. apparently it was just the angle i was listening because when i switched to headphones it was perfectly in sync. which daw to you like to use?
alesis surge, arturia minilab mk2, ableton, ios • new to midi