Author Topic: DIY electronic cymbals - Mute or acoustic conversion?  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Joker47

DIY electronic cymbals - Mute or acoustic conversion?
« on: May 21, 2021, 04:57:05 PM »
I am considering giving making my own E-cymbals a try. I have a question for those who have done it, or just those with some experience with it.

If you had a choice, would you choose to convert real acoustic cymbals to electronic, or mute cymbals?

I know the cost is a huge difference, but that aside, do you think the difference would be that great? Weight and feel wise?

Or do you think the mute cymbals would be good enough for that?

Just looking for thoughts on the matter....any input or opinions are always appreciated...

Regards,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Re: DIY electronic cymbals - Mute or acoustic conversion?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 06:38:26 PM »
Personally, I use those "quiet tone" brand of quiet cymbals, which are still loud, so I ended up putting mutes on them. I then bought Pintech Percussion RS-5-5PK Acoustic Head Triggers, and simply tied the trigger to the cymbal (through the holes) and also taped them for good measure.. Crude and primitive for such nice equipment. It works for what I want which is essentially a silent drum kit that feels like actual drums.. I also trigger a real snare.

Again, crude, I wish I could get the cymbals to not feel weighted by the mutes and the triggers, but it feels infinitely better than the plastic cymbals that come with the kit. You could use any cymbals I think with the drum mutes but those mutes do contribute to ruining the feeling of the cymbals. Kind of depends on what you want to do with them. Best of luck on the endeavour!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 01:07:02 PM by scorpyin »