Author Topic: Choke cymbal for DM5  (Read 6210 times)

Choke cymbal for DM5
« on: November 30, 2009, 08:25:01 AM »
Hi , i made a pretty fonctionnal choke and it work with DM5 module. I just take a piezo, solder a 1/4 jack on it and connect to an input of my DM5.I place the piezo under my cymbal neer the edge(like all choke cymbal). Now it's the config part.

1. Put the cymbal and the choke piezo input on a group. Group 1 or 2 but in the same group. How? ..
-Press NOTE CHASE
-Press GROUP
-Hit the cymbal
-Turn the value button to Group 2
-Hit the "choke piezo"
-Turn the value button to Group 2
(I recommend the Group 2 because most of the time the Hihat and the Hihat pedal are on Group 1)

2.Now we want to shut off the sound of the "Choke Piezo". How?..
-Keep NOTE CHASE activated or press it if its not activated
-Press MIX
-Hit the "choke piezo"
-With the Parameter Arrow go to Vol
-Turn the value button to 0

3.Now we want to make the "choke piezo" more sensitive
-Press EXT TRIG (Maybe many time to see VCrv Parameter)
-Hit "choke piezo"
-With the Parameter Arrow go to VCrv
-Turn the value button to 7
-Press DRUM SET
-Press NOTE CHASE

4.You may have to adjust the Cross Talk if when you hit the cymbal the piezo detect a choke. How?..
-Press EXT TRIG (Maybe many time to see Xtalk Parameter)
-With the Parameter Arrow go to Xtalk
-With the value button you can go Higher for less "false hit" and lower for best sensivity

5.Now Test it and if you like it you can save this setting by pressing the STORE button twice.

So i don't have the chance to try a real e-drum choke cymbal to compare, im new to drumming , but this work well , This is just a test version so i just tape the piezo under the cymbal but on the flat brass side of the piezo i tape just a litle piece of rubber (Cable isolation) to make an irregular surface (the advantage is that the vibration is less transmitted from the cymbal to the "Choke piezo" and with the irregular suface the piezo has a tendency to bend a bit what makes the detection easier.)

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:27:43 PM by Lentrave »

Offline Hellfire

Re: Choke cymbal for DM5
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:34:41 AM »
Looks great Lentrave! Not many people use the GROUP setting in their modules except for the Hi-hat control. Way to think outside the box. ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:56:07 AM by Hellfire »

Re: Choke cymbal for DM5
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:26:33 PM »
I dont know how sensitive a Switch choke is but the piezo work great ... i try to figure how to make this look good and to extend the zone (all the edge of the cymbal) ... i think about a metal plate suspend by double sided foam tape with the piezo atatch under the plate between the cymbal and the plate .