Author Topic: Ion Drum Rocker pads - strike module  (Read 611 times)

Ion Drum Rocker pads - strike module
« on: March 12, 2021, 06:17:13 PM »
Hello -
Without explaining the whole plan, I'm experimenting with some old Ion Drum Rocker pads/cymbals that I stored from the kids WII days and the Alesis Strike Module. I can not get the Ion pads or cymbals to trigger in the module. I've tried both trigger types, both Ion 1/4 cable and the cable used for the strike pads. Any idea how I can use the Ion pads with my strike module?

Offline Chaser

Re: Ion Drum Rocker pads - strike module
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 10:16:46 PM »
Hello -
Without explaining the whole plan, I'm experimenting with some old Ion Drum Rocker pads/cymbals that I stored from the kids WII days and the Alesis Strike Module. I can not get the Ion pads or cymbals to trigger in the module. I've tried both trigger types, both Ion 1/4 cable and the cable used for the strike pads. Any idea how I can use the Ion pads with my strike module?

The old Ion Kits were basically the original DM6 kit pieces.Since the Piezo was so close to the surface,there are resistors in the pads to reduce output so that may be part of the problem..increase/MAX the sensitivity in the STRIKE Modules trigger settings and reduce the threshold.

The STRIKE Module Cymbal inputs do NOT work with TS cables...when partially in and the Tip contacts the ring they will work..but not when fully seated...they must be TRS.
A single zone cymbal will still work..but with a TRS cable..the STRIKE Module requires the ring to complete the circuit.

The drum inputs will recognize TS.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 10:28:35 PM »
Thank you very much. That worked when I used a drum pad input. Though, there was a constant crackling static sound and the module chased back to the ion pad right after anything else was hit. Am I damaging the module? Maybe I'll keep adjusting to work that out. Another question ... do you know if the strike module sysex download is what I can use to save trigger settings and have different sysex files for loading depending on what kit I'm using (SPSE or acoustic)? My intention is to leverage the strike module at my friend's studio with my mic'd acoustic set and triggers.
Thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 10:30:20 PM by cgang »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 10:33:22 AM »
Thank you very much. That worked when I used a drum pad input. Though, there was a constant crackling static sound and the module chased back to the ion pad right after anything else was hit. Am I damaging the module? Maybe I'll keep adjusting to work that out. Another question ... do you know if the strike module sysex download is what I can use to save trigger settings and have different sysex files for loading depending on what kit I'm using (SPSE or acoustic)? My intention is to leverage the strike module at my friend's studio with my mic'd acoustic set and triggers.
Thanks again!
If you removed the resistors etc  and have the sensitivity etc Maxed out then it's probably triggering...you'll have to find the right combination between sensitivity/threshold etc.The STRIKE Module is setup for Mesh pads and the shells are deep so it's already set to be pretty sensitive..

The only information sent is Trigger settings..

SysEx
To send all trigger settings from the module as a SysEx file (over the USB port and MIDI Out), press Enter.
To send a SysEx file to the module (over the USB port and MIDI In), send it any time from your computer or external MIDI device.

STRIKE Performance Drum Module User Guide V1.5  pg 29