Author Topic: Ride cymbal doesn’t work well  (Read 763 times)

zachmusique

Ride cymbal doesn’t work well
« on: January 20, 2021, 12:03:35 PM »
Hi. I bought a used DM10 drum set a few months ago. Everything works well, except for the ride cymbal (3 zones). The bell doesn’t work except when I hit the zone really hard. And even if I hit the zone hard, it’s rare to get a bell sound. I read a lot of threads on this forum from people with the same problem as me, I tried every single tips (triggers settings, having two layers, trying every single ride cymbal, updating the drum software, exchanging the wires, etc.) that have been given to them, and it didn’t work. I read the manual, nothing. I even unscrewing the screws to see if there was something wrong with the cymbal itself, but everything was fine. I sent a message to the Alesis support team a week ago, and I have still no response. So if someone can help me with this problem, it would be really appreciated because I’m sure it can be repaired and I don’t want to buy another cymbal for nothing. Thank you!

Offline Chaser

Re: Ride cymbal doesn’t work well
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 10:25:31 AM »
Hi. I bought a used DM10 drum set a few months ago. Everything works well, except for the ride cymbal (3 zones). The bell doesn’t work except when I hit the zone really hard. And even if I hit the zone hard, it’s rare to get a bell sound. I read a lot of threads on this forum from people with the same problem as me, I tried every single tips (triggers settings, having two layers, trying every single ride cymbal, updating the drum software, exchanging the wires, etc.) that have been given to them, and it didn’t work. I read the manual, nothing. I even unscrewing the screws to see if there was something wrong with the cymbal itself, but everything was fine. I sent a message to the Alesis support team a week ago, and I have still no response. So if someone can help me with this problem, it would be really appreciated because I’m sure it can be repaired and I don’t want to buy another cymbal for nothing. Thank you!

The DM10 Ride is 2 cable so I presume you have both cables connected and the Ride is set to 3 zone..
I would turn down the levels for the Bow and Edge completely so you can isolate the Bell then adjust the bell settings separately to make sure it is functioning.
Raise the sensitivity all the way up..the Threshold down and adjust from there..if you can't get the bell to work at those settings then the switch may be bad

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 10:31:08 AM by Chaser »

zachmusique

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 10:29:05 AM »
Yeah I think the switch is bad because I already did that and nothing happened

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 01:51:40 PM »
The bell doesn’t work except when I hit the zone really hard. And even if I hit the zone hard, it’s rare to get a bell sound.

The only other thing I could think of mentioning that I see many having trouble with electronic drums (especially new users) is if the Bell/Edge Trigger does fire or is intermittent...make sure you are "Shanking" the Bell or Edge.
Switch Type triggers don't respond very well if you are using the tip...they need a sharp strike...even the stick flipped/bottom up works better than the tip.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 03:41:41 PM »
I have ride response issues as well at times.. right now I've set its mode to 2 Zone and it seems to accentuate the bow and bell a bit, maybe I increased the trigger sensitivity as well but bell is much more reactive.. plus sometimes I was getting too many washes triggered if I hit the bow hard, or crashing on it out of nowhere (I'm sure I would have to adjust threshold and sensitivity and be more accurate where I hit so when I don't care to use the ride to crash on, I change it to 2-zone mode and I kind of like it)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers