Author Topic: Recording DM10 to Garage Band. Missing MIDI triggers  (Read 1409 times)

Recording DM10 to Garage Band. Missing MIDI triggers
« on: April 12, 2020, 03:38:05 PM »
Hi all. Hopefully someone can help me here. I have a DM10 Studio which I am using to record via the latest version of Garageband on a MacBook Pro Retina (2014) with all software & OS up to date.
 My issue is the two mounted tom pads are the same, The Hi-Hat isn't playing closed, & I have two Cymbal Crash pads not registering.
 I am using the USB Cable from the DM Module directly to the MacBook.
 I can get them to register in Midi Monitor so I know they are sending a signal but just can't get them to work when trying to record....

many thanks in advance & kind regards, Kevin

Offline Chaser

Re: Recording DM10 to Garage Band. Missing MIDI triggers
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 12:05:50 PM »
Hi all. Hopefully someone can help me here. I have a DM10 Studio which I am using to record via the latest version of Garageband on a MacBook Pro Retina (2014) with all software & OS up to date.
 My issue is the two mounted tom pads are the same, The Hi-Hat isn't playing closed, & I have two Cymbal Crash pads not registering.
 I am using the USB Cable from the DM Module directly to the MacBook.
 I can get them to register in Midi Monitor so I know they are sending a signal but just can't get them to work when trying to record....

many thanks in advance & kind regards, Kevin

You'll have to map the module to match Garageband MIDI map.
Garageband has very little MIDI features/support..at least it didn't in iOS you couldn't even map the MIDI Channel,the desktop version may have more.
I dug through my Data Base and here's the MIDI/Keymap I have...iOS version.
The desktop version should be similar if not the same.
Some sounds seemed/were similar.
The good news is there are more sounds than instruments so you can assign the extras to the rims..change the pitch etc etc.

The Garageband mapping is based on a version GM level 1 with some kit's having extras,and the drum machines having less.
GM level 1 usually starts with 35,but most kit's if not all start at 35 end at 59.GM Level 1 went much farther.
Somewhere I have all the maps/sounds documented but I never used Garageband much and these were from years ago.
The So Cal Kit had the most extras.

So Cal MIDI Map

31-HH Pedal (similar to 44)
32-Snare (similar to 40)..turn into High Tom
33-HH Closed
34-Snare (similar to 38)

35-Acoustic Kick
36-Bass Drum 1
37-Side Stick
38-Snare w/wires
39-Hand Clap
40-Snare w/o wires