Author Topic: Hi from a non-drummer  (Read 3217 times)

Hi from a non-drummer
« on: August 18, 2009, 01:39:14 AM »
Hi guys,

I've been drumming with my mouse from way back, and used the original Drumkit From Hell Superior and now Superior Drummer 2.0 (with both the NY Legacy and Metal Foundry expansions). Mainly I use these to put together some halfway believable drum tracks while songwriting and demoing material to my band before we get together and jam it the old-fashioned way.

Inspired in part by using Toontrack DrumTracker on some existing recordings of my drummer and hearing how realistic it sounded in SD2 I recently decided to pick up an electronic kit to make recording visiting drummers a bit friendlier on the neighbours... and I'm hoping to eventually get some drum skills myself (I'm not gonna spend so much on a new toy just for other people to play with now am I?).

After initially looking at the new Roland TD4 I then discovered the DM10 Pro is on it's way and I'm now holding off to see what the initial response is when it's eventually released. I'm hoping impressions will be favourable and I'll be a member of the Alesis fold in the very near future!

Offline audiopat

Re: Hi from a non-drummer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 05:22:03 PM »
Hey exhumus, welcome to the forum! I'm also interested in the DM10, but none of the music stores where I live can tell me when they're getting them in. I'd like to hear some of your tracks! Where can I find them?   

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 05:33:34 PM »
Welcome aboard Exhumus! Hopefully the DM10 will be released sometime in September. At least that's what I'm hearing.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »
The Sound on Sound DM10 coverage on YouTube said September in a way that implied that was factoring in unforseen delays, but the Sweetwater site says there has been an "unusually long shipping delay"... but then it also says "worth waiting for" :P. The Australian distributor I contacted said "at least a couple of months off" in July. At the time I contacted him I did not realise that Alesis had only just announced the kit themselves.

As for my drum recordings, as I said I mostly use the tools as a nice sounding uber-metronome so there is nothing online. I may use some of the DrumTracker/SD2.0 replacements I mentioned, but those songs are still unfinished so not available.

There was one project a couple of years ago where a friend and I intended to use some ultra fast drum programming but there was only ever one rough song written using DFH Superior. The track is Supreme Reprisal at http://www.myspace.com/hatredreigning. Did I mention I play mostly death metal? ;)

The other track on there was done much earlier with a GM drum library of some description. I can't remember which one. Also I did not program the drums on this song - those brutal stylings can be credited to my partner in crime. I'm just a lowly guitarist and the gearslut who has the home recording rig. =D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 08:43:09 PM by Exhumus »