Author Topic: Custom kit setting downloads for DM10?  (Read 16200 times)

Online Hellfire

Custom kit setting downloads for DM10?
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:49:59 AM »
I thought I would get a little feedback from you guys to see if this is something of interest. The DM10 allows you to customize your settings (create custom drum kits from the internal sound set). I don't know if you guys are familiar with V expressions for the Roland modules. Basically, they are pre-configured drum kits that mimic popular artist drum kits. If you don't know what I am talking about, click on the link to V expressions.

Don't confuse this with the downloadable sound sets that Alesis will be releasing soon. Those replace the internal sounds with new sounds. What I'm talking about is using the stock sounds and tweaking them to sound similar to kits from popular albums.

If there is suitable interest, we can set-up a topic specific to custom kit setting downloads. So, let me know what you guys think.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:09:13 AM by Hellfire »

Offline Guinness

Re: Custom kit setting downloads for DM10?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:21:47 PM »
we have 100 extra slots right?  So, it'd be cool to create/load some 'presets' for these customizable/savable spots.

It would be us doing it right?   For example, I might post all the settings, or upload a Sx file, that would have the sample (from the internal samples) and settings that sound like a particular drummer's kit. 

Correct?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:55:48 PM »
we have 100 extra slots right?  So, it'd be cool to create/load some 'presets' for these customizable/savable spots.

It would be us doing it right?   For example, I might post all the settings, or upload a Sx file, that would have the sample (from the internal samples) and settings that sound like a particular drummer's kit. 

Correct?
For the most part, yes. I think we should only upload the Syx. files. Keep in mind that there are 200 slots. It is possible to over write the first 100 slots as well. I think it would be a good idea to let people rate how good the kits are too. Not quite sure how to do that yet but you get the idea. ;D

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
thats agreat idea phil its most useful if you play out live with it it would nice to see some user end custom stuff it could help some learn how to tweak  and make there own win win situation
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »
How about this for another idea...  The 'play along' files on the DM10...  Pick a track each month, then who ever's interested, upload your version with the drum track added.  We vote/comment/etc...   Maybe Dan or Bobby can put up a promotional prize for the voted on winner.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
How about this for another idea...  The 'play along' files on the DM10...  Pick a track each month, then who ever's interested, upload your version with the drum track added.  We vote/comment/etc...   Maybe Dan or Bobby can put up a promotional prize for the voted on winner.
what format are these files in ? are they midi?
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Offline Guinness

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 11:14:55 PM »
I have no idea, but I think I heard Eric(?) say in the video that they are actual samples. 

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:45:36 AM »
Does anyone know if each kit can be exported via sysex?

Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Online Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:15:42 AM »
I'm not 100% sure, but I will be working with this today. ;)

Offline Guinness

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 03:43:18 PM »

I hope just one kit can be transmitted.  I want to load your Leverage kit.  :)

Can syssx files be sent via usb, or does it have to be midi?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »

I hope just one kit can be transmitted.  I want to load your Leverage kit.  :)

Can syssx files be sent via usb, or does it have to be midi?
Just got done trying some stuff. Nothing worked!!!!!!!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 04:58:12 PM »
It looks as if I was able to back-up something but it is only 20 bytes. That was the "All Memory" option. Reintialized the kits thinking I could get them back. Boy was I wrong. I can not get my custom kits back. The transfer is not working for me (USB or MIDI). And yes, I tried the DM10 updater software first and then tried SysEx Librarian. Nothing!!!!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( Now, I have to reprogram my four custom kits.

Anybody else got this working?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:00:01 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 05:01:11 PM »
It looks as if I was able to back-up something but it is only 20 bytes. That was the "All Memory" option. Reintialized the kits thinking I could get them back. Boy was I wrong. I can not get my custom kits back. The transfer is not working for me. Now, I have to reprogram my four custom kits.

Anybody else got this working?

you just scared the crap out of me.  Now I not dare to try.  i don't want to lose everything and have to reinitialize.   Sry that happened to you.

Maybe big Dan can drop some knowledge/know-how on us?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 05:49:28 PM »
Made a couple of quick custom kits and tried again. No go! Is there anybody with a PC that is willing to try this? I use a Mac and I'm trying to see if it is a Mac issue or a DM10 issue. Any takers?

"All Memory" sends a 22 byte file to SysEx Librarian (midi Sysex software for Mac)
"All Trigger settings" sends a 222 byte file to SysEx Librarian

I'm using the DM10 updater 1.00 software to send the sysex back to it.

Odd, I would think the "All memory" would be larger since the manual states that "All Memory" includes the trigger settings. ??? ???

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »
sorry to hear about that.  will try this on a PC when i get home.
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 07:48:48 PM »
OOOH.. Sorry to hear about that. I'll keep this in mind before I start any serious editing.

What version(s) are you running? It could be one of those patch fixes one thing and breaks another type of issues..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 12:03:32 AM »
did a sysex save and restore it was successful.  i used midi-ox on a vista 32 pc. 

the all memory sysex dump from the DM10 i got was 3597 bytes.  not much customization :(

trigger settings sysex dump is 222 bytes.

DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline Guinness

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 12:36:49 AM »
Can you do this via the USB?   Or does it need to be Midi?   

I returned my Midi > USB cables when I returned the DM5.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 08:58:46 AM »
did a sysex save and restore it was successful.  i used midi-ox on a vista 32 pc. 

the all memory sysex dump from the DM10 i got was 3597 bytes.  not much customization :(

trigger settings sysex dump is 222 bytes.
Interesting...Maybe it is a mac issue or maybe my DM10 didn't update correctly when I updated the OS. See my memory dump showed only 22 bytes. I dumped it twice because I didn't think that sounded correct (I guess I was right about that :( ). I had a few custom kits. But, like you my trigger settings dump was 222 bytes. Why would I be able to get the trigger settings to dump correctly and not the memory? Of course that is assuming the trigger dump at 222 bytes is correct.

On a side note, Did you use midi-ox or the DM10 updater software to restore your settings?

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 12:49:49 PM »
i used midi-ox for both the save and restore.

i believe the trigger settings dump will always be the same size because there's only a fixed number of triggers and only a few settings for each trigger.

you can try and verify the actual version numbers of ur module (o/s, sounds, etc.) against the ones for download.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 01:04:47 PM »
i used midi-ox for both the save and restore.

i believe the trigger settings dump will always be the same size because there's only a fixed number of triggers and only a few settings for each trigger.

you can try and verify the actual version numbers of ur module (o/s, sounds, etc.) against the ones for download.
I already double checked the o/s, sounds, etc against the ones for the download and they check out just fine.

To restore your settings, did you hold the rec button during power up and then send (or play) the sysex file? Could you see the bar on the DM10 show the progress of the upload? I ask because mine did nothing. It didn't even look as if the DM10 received anything.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 01:39:10 PM »
Update:
I got my mac to download what looks like the right file size (2118 bytes). Had to change the record settings to "Record Many" instead of "Record One". I still can not get the DM10 to upload the file however. I tried adjusting the send times and that was no good. It does look as if the DM10 see the file for a split second but it looks done before the computer is down sending the file.

Any ideas? Alesis hasn't gotten back to me. I'm guessing they found the same issue using a mac if I haven't heard from them yet. Just speculation however.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »
HF, Have a PC to try it on?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »
HF, Have a PC to try it on?
I have a PC but it is upstairs in a different room connected to my TV. I don't like the idea of unplugging my DM10 module and running upstairs to connecting to my PC every time I want to back it up and test different custom kit configs. Especially, when that PC is being used to watch tv.

My mac sits 8 ft from my DM10 because I use it for studio work.

I'm sure I can get it to work with the PC but, that still doesn't solve the problem of getting my main computer that I use all the time (my mac) to work with my DM10 (which I don't have to disconnect to use with my mac).

Offline goony

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
It would be good to share kits this way, somehow...
Surely Alesis Dan is listening :-)
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275