Author Topic: Can I use a JBL Xtreme 2 speaker as a drum amp?  (Read 3242 times)

Can I use a JBL Xtreme 2 speaker as a drum amp?
« on: March 02, 2019, 07:34:53 PM »
I have a JBL Xtreme 2 portable speaker.  It has a 3.5 mm input jack.   

Can I use this with my Alesis DM10 as a 'drum amp'??   

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: Can I use a JBL Xtreme 2 speaker as a drum amp?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:52:21 PM »
Arguably, it wouldn't even begin to compare to even a cheap set of headphones.

The output wouldn't be loud enough to drown out the ambient sounds of your foot pounding the floor, sticks hitting cymbals, etc., without becoming too much for this sweet little music listening piece of wonder to keep up with before blowing a speaker.

Those are great little speakers for cranking tunes, for sure. But drums' output are as violent as the act of playing them.

Even high-end stage monitors with built-in power can easily "blow" when running e-drums directly through them. Of course, these stage monitors can be just what the doctor ordered, but must be used with care or... yup... they'll blow.

I was planning on buying a JBL EON 12" powered monitor due to the great price, easy handling (small size) and power capabilities. But my sound engineer told me that I'd need at least 15" with plenty of power before I stop running into problems of not being loud enough without trashing the speaker.

Just being honest.

You could certainly pump your drums through the JBL Xtreme 2, but do so with care - make sure you're not overdriving it causing the speaker to distort. It would be quiet, but would likely sound great. Any other instruments would immediately drown out the sound, however.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Re: Can I use a JBL Xtreme 2 speaker as a drum amp?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 01:26:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.   Went ahead and tried the JBL Xtreme 2 at low volume and it was a big disappointment.    Interesting how the speaker sounds so good with music from the phone but does so poorly as a drum amp.