Author Topic: Help configuring dual zone trigger with Strike Multipad  (Read 1645 times)

Help configuring dual zone trigger with Strike Multipad
« on: April 16, 2021, 05:21:13 PM »
Hey all, I am trying to configure a 14inch Strike Dual Zone Cymbal in the TRIG2/3 input of my multipad via 1/4inch TRS. I would like to utilize the bow and edge zones. When I squeeze the choke zone trigger 3 is activated, but when I strike the edge of the cymbal it is very difficult to get it to activate. It double triggers or has crosstalk issues with TRIG4/5. I unplugged TRIG4/5 (currently a 12inch strike tom) to troubleshoot and I have played with the settings in the utility menu for trigger inputs. I have experimented with the cymbal as a Head+rim and also 2 trigger. I have cranked the sensitivity of the edge/choke zone (trig3), as well as cranked the rim gain. This makes the squeeze choke function more sensitive but not strikes to the edge. Any insight would be appreciated.

Offline Chaser

Re: Help configuring dual zone trigger with Strike Multipad
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 10:49:28 PM »
Hey all, I am trying to configure a 14inch Strike Dual Zone Cymbal in the TRIG2/3 input of my multipad via 1/4inch TRS. I would like to utilize the bow and edge zones. When I squeeze the choke zone trigger 3 is activated, but when I strike the edge of the cymbal it is very difficult to get it to activate. It double triggers or has crosstalk issues with TRIG4/5. I unplugged TRIG4/5 (currently a 12inch strike tom) to troubleshoot and I have played with the settings in the utility menu for trigger inputs. I have experimented with the cymbal as a Head+rim and also 2 trigger. I have cranked the sensitivity of the edge/choke zone (trig3), as well as cranked the rim gain. This makes the squeeze choke function more sensitive but not strikes to the edge. Any insight would be appreciated.

The external Trigger inputs are for "Piezo" type triggers ...Cymbal bells and edges are "Switch" type.
The SMP doesn't have the option to change trigger types as do some drum modules like the STRIKE and Original DM10.
You hear a sound because you get a voltage spike (on/off squeezing the choke) as when connecting a cable.

2 Trigger: A TRS to dual-TS splitter is used to connect two separate(Piezo + Piezo) drum triggers...No Rim gain setting

Head+Rim: The connected trigger is a dual-zone (Piezo/Piezo) drum trigger...has  Rim gain setting

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 09:40:02 AM »
Thanks a lot!  I reached this conclusion as well sifting through the forums. My next question would be could I potentially work around this by using something like an edrumin to SMP midi in? I've seen this guy chaser post on the forum a lot talking about connecting the strike module to the strike multipad and using the multipad to expand the module, but the logistics are a bit confusing to me. If I use something like an edrumin with the SMP, how would it be configured?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 03:58:25 PM »
Thanks a lot!  I reached this conclusion as well sifting through the forums. My next question would be could I potentially work around this by using something like an edrumin to SMP midi in? I've seen this guy chaser post on the forum a lot talking about connecting the strike module to the strike multipad and using the multipad to expand the module, but the logistics are a bit confusing to me. If I use something like an edrumin with the SMP, how would it be configured?

The Alesis STRIKE module and SMP are not expandable (as are majority of drum modules)..they both have exact amount of MIDI notes to match the trigger inputs/zones...few modules such as the Original DM10 had an extra amount of MIDI notes outside of the trigger inputs that can be assigned samples/voices and also have full editing features.
The best you can do to add kit pieces is to split triggers.
You can use a TMI or if you have an extra module laying around (with the ability to re-assign MIDI notes) and connect using 5 PIN MIDI then assign the extra MIDI notes (20 ) used for the unused external pedals/triggers using the PAD CUE feature on the SMP.
The eDRUMin is a Universal Trigger to USB MIDI Interface with 4 trigger inputs, a pedal input, and a full-size MIDI out and currently is priced at $149 USD + ship.
The Ultimate TMI would be the eDrumin 10 which is a Universal Trigger to USB MIDI Interface with 10 trigger inputs, 2 pedal inputs, full-size MIDI in/out, and a USB MIDI Host Port and allows compatability between a number of manufacturers triggers...currently priced at $329 USD.+ ship(currently out of stock)..

If you don't have an extra module and wish to wait for the eDrumin 10 to get back into stock,for a temporary solution you could pick up a Trigger IO/DDRUM DDTI for usually around $100.00..there is usually one on eBay.They don't have as many features (Trigger IO is 14 years old..Alesis liscensed to DDrum) as the eDrumin but will get the job done..

Depending on the complexity/size of your MIDI rig keep in mind the eDrumin  and the Trigger IO/DDRUM DDTI have both 5 PIN and USB MIDI..but only have 5 PIN MIDI OUT so you wouldn't be able to do a MIDI loop and they would have to be at the start of a MIDI chain if chaining multiple devices/hardware.
The eDrumin 10 has both 5 PIN MIDI IN/OUT so it can be in a loop or inserted anywhere..
after that it's just a matter of setting up the MIDI channel or channels..MIDI thru etc..assigning MIDI notes..Voices/samples..
Using the STRIKE module with an SMP and/or an additional TMI and an iPad makes powerfull compact setup with minimal cabling.
The SMP is an audio interface and sends bi-directional USB MIDI and Audio so if you place the SMP and an iPad in a MIDI chain/loop not only can you play onboard samples of the STRIKE module and the SMP but you can simultaneously trigger apps/samples/songs etc on the iPad...from simple layering to complex performances with DMX lighting.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 05:15:56 PM »
Oh, it's you, Chaser! I briefly saw your first reply on my phone and didn't notice the user name. Thanks for getting back to me! I saw you explain that ultimate midi configuration in another post! I wouldn't buy an Apple product, haha, but I love the idea. I think initially I would have just added a edrumin and attempted to midi out into the SMP, then assign the SMP external trigger midi notes to the cymbal, etc. Mabey tries and gets the 14inch strike tom I had to get some positional sense working, and also may add a better hi-hat pedal. I experimented with the Roland FD-9 but it wouldn't trigger a "chic" sound when depressed in the HH input of the SMP. Now I think ill wait for the edrumin 10 to come back in stock because inevitably I want to play with that.

So my thought is, I could get the edge zone to trigger properly with a dual-zone cymbal (piezo/switch) on the SMP if I plug it into the edrumin->SMP and assign it to something like trigger2/3's midi notes?  Im also curious if it would allow the complete function of the Roland Fd-9 HH pedal!? If I assigned the SMP HH to the fd9 plugged into the edrumin, can the edrumin configure the hihat chic sound in a way the SMP can register? Any insight would be great

I attached a crude picture of the minimum functionality I'm looking for

*edit: after watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3S0IMYA1Zo&t=273s review of the edrumin, it looks like I might be able to use USB over midi with the edrumin in standalone mode. If i preconfigure the pads with the edrumin, Itll just send midi notes to the SMD? Am I understanding this correctly? Perhaps this is more viable than edrumin midi out -> SMP?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 07:23:19 PM by MrBananas »