Author Topic: Bass drum moving too much? Heres what I do.  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Purpledc

Bass drum moving too much? Heres what I do.
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »
So one of my quirks as a drummer is I have a lead foot.  As such my bass drum usually moves way too much and even if very stable it when getting into a groove the bass drum can rock back and forth enough to cause trigger issues.  So I thought what can I do to make this more solid.   And the best solution I have found is actually ankle weights.  If you have a DM10 with an 8" head you can wrap one 10lb weight around the front tower portion and the other on the front.  You just need to remove one of the sand bags where your kick pedal goes for clearance.   

I now have a strike and so I actually lashed the two ankle weights together (golds gym Walmart) and draped that over the top of the bass drum.   This puts enough downforce on the drum that you can really hammer on it and it doesn't move.  It also gives you more freedom with your kick trigger settings as you are compensating for that movement.

Re: Bass drum moving too much? Heres what I do.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 06:29:36 AM »
I purchased a 4' x 6' pad from Amazon that was made for putting your whole set on.  Works great.  I believe around $60

Offline Purpledc

Re: Bass drum moving too much? Heres what I do.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 09:42:58 AM »
I have a drum rug too.  The problem I was combatting was not sliding and skidding but a rocking motion.  Especially if you use a heavy beater.  The top of the kick pad would rock back and forth causing some double triggers and missed hits.   By using the weights it keeps the drum from rocking back and forth and prevents missed or double triggers.