Author Topic: Alesis....where are the 3rd party sounds?  (Read 22062 times)

Offline Hellfire

Re: Alesis....where are the 3rd party sounds?
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2010, 09:07:56 PM »
To make it clear again: My most important question is about the procedure of loading/unloading soundsets, like the one the RedBox dictates. And if - as we have discussed in another thread - the ReadBox and the DM10 are mostly the same in hard- and software could we expect that the procedure will be the same on the DM10 module? If yes then for me it would be a step backwards.
The procedure I assume would be the same as the sound rom update file. I guess I don't understand why uploading a kit via USB is a step backwards for drum modules. Yes it is a tad slow but how many modules are really doing anything like this? I know of the DTXIII (or DTX900 one in the same), or maybe the 2Box (but they're not in the states). The only other drum module to be able to update its internal sound set that I know of was the Alesis DMPro. Of course that came bundled with Sound Bridge which was a PC interface software. All sounds were swapped over a pcmcia card.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2010, 09:19:27 PM »
They can upload more than one kit per dump. That is what happens when you upload with the current sound rom update off of Alesis's site.

I as an user can't decide how many and which kits are uploaded with the *actual* method from Alesis. I can only upload one dump file.

Maybe Alesis is working on a true editor for the DM10 (like Soundquest's MidiQuest).
I think I see what you mean now. I thought you didn't think a dump could contain more than one kit. Yes, you can only have one dump file at a time. That is because each dump completely overwrites the internal memory. If you are uploading a single kit that needs all the memory of the unit, then there is no way to upload multiple kits into the unit.

When you say editor, do you mean a sound editor to allow the end user to upload their own custom sounds? If so, Alesis already stated that isn't going to happen. If by editor you mean a software interface for the DM10 to control the DM10 via your PC. Alesis has also stated that they are not going to supply that. They say they are leaving that up to 3 party developers.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2010, 09:40:47 PM »
If you are uploading a single kit that needs all the memory of the unit, then there is no way to upload multiple kits into the unit.

I'm afraid that even when the new dump contains only a small new soundset it will overwrite *all* available memory - at least in a way that you couldn't use a potential "rest" from the former content.

When you say editor, do you mean a sound editor to allow the end user to upload their own custom sounds? If so, Alesis already stated that isn't going to happen. If by editor you mean a software interface for the DM10 to control the DM10 via your PC. Alesis has also stated that they are not going to supply that. They say they are leaving that up to 3 party developers.

Yes, i've seen that post with the excel file for the NRPN codes from Alesis. I've sent a suggestion mail to Soundquest if they could implement the DM10 in their available hardware list, because they already have implemented the DM5 ;D

An editor to upload single sounds or kits isn't essentially able to allow the user to upload their own sounds or patches. This could be prohibited by using serial codes or something similar, like Pearl does it for the RedBox soundsets.

My picture is to have another method aside the SysEx dump and to be able to add or remove only certain sets on my own if i want to.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »
I'm afraid that even when the new dump contains only a small new soundset it will overwrite *all* available memory - at least in a way that you couldn't use a potential "rest" from the former content.
Yes, that is correct. At least based on my understanding.

Yes, i've seen that post with the excel file for the NRPN codes from Alesis. I've sent a suggestion mail to Soundquest if they could implement the DM10 in their available hardware list, because they already have implemented the DM5 ;D

An editor to upload single sounds or kits isn't essentially able to allow the user to upload their own sounds or patches. This could be prohibited by using serial codes or something similar, like Pearl does it for the RedBox soundsets.

My picture is to have another method aside the SysEx dump and to be able to add or remove only certain sets on my own if i want to.

I know this may seem odd but I just want to make sure we are on the same page. There are two different things we are talking about. The first is the "sound sets" which are new base sound files that replace the stock ones. And the second thing is making custom kits in the DM10 and being able to swap them out one at a time. I just want to make sure we are not making these things as one in the same.

You, me and many others want to be able to cherry pick the kits and we have let Alesis know this. That is one of the major requests for the new DM10 OS 2.0. I hope Alesis can give us that.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2010, 11:37:28 PM »
I know this may seem odd but I just want to make sure we are on the same page. There are two different things we are talking about. The first is the "sound sets" which are new base sound files that replace the stock ones. And the second thing is making custom kits in the DM10 and being able to swap them out one at a time. I just want to make sure we are not making these things as one in the same.

Let me make a try to unravel it: A "soundset" can be all raw sounds i.e. listed in the "DM10 Instruments" appendix in the manual or any compilation of sounds which could be uploaded via a SysEx dump. A "kit" is an internal subset list of links towards this sounds in the memory of the DM10.

So a "kit" is only a specific internal assignment list between sounds and triggers/pads with some additional layering/MIDI/mastering/FX parameter values in it. Is this correct up to this point?

Cherrypicking the kits for i.e. swapping them in the community is a real important point for the wish list, i completely agree to that.

What's in my mind is a tool to compile the "soundset" on a pc to have a combination of useful factory sounds and new sounds and to upload it to the DM10 the way i like and need it. The "kit" assignment for the new sounds will be delivered from Alesis (or their third partners) and should be editable for customization afterwards.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2010, 09:23:03 AM »

Let me make a try to unravel it: A "soundset" can be all raw sounds i.e. listed in the "DM10 Instruments" appendix in the manual or any compilation of sounds which could be uploaded via a SysEx dump. A "kit" is an internal subset list of links towards this sounds in the memory of the DM10.

So a "kit" is only a specific internal assignment list between sounds and triggers/pads with some additional layering/MIDI/mastering/FX parameter values in it. Is this correct up to this point?

Cherrypicking the kits for i.e. swapping them in the community is a real important point for the wish list, i completely agree to that.

What's in my mind is a tool to compile the "soundset" on a pc to have a combination of useful factory sounds and new sounds and to upload it to the DM10 the way i like and need it. The "kit" assignment for the new sounds will be delivered from Alesis (or their third partners) and should be editable for customization afterwards.
Okay, I see now. I'm glad I asked about being on the same page. :)

So, you are wanting to be able (for example) to mix the toms from sound set "A" with the snare and bass from sound set "B". Turn that into a dump file via some kind of software and dump it to the DM10. That would be a cool thing to do. I just don't see that happening. Their download sound sets would need to be in a format that can be pieced apart. I don't remember them talking about any kind of option like that. I do like that idea however.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »
So, you are wanting to be able (for example) to mix the toms from sound set "A" with the snare and bass from sound set "B". Turn that into a dump file via some kind of software and dump it to the DM10.

Hell Yeah! ;D ;D ;D

If Alesis don't plan it or even think about it i'll not get frustrated or shoot my knee off, but it is not as complicated as it sounds first. A simple compiler with the structure of the DM10 memory as a framework will do it.

Let's wait for xmas together and see what's happening...

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2010, 10:21:19 PM »
So, you are wanting to be able (for example) to mix the toms from sound set "A" with the snare and bass from sound set "B". Turn that into a dump file via some kind of software and dump it to the DM10.

Hell Yeah! ;D ;D ;D

If Alesis don't plan it or even think about it i'll not get frustrated or shoot my knee off, but it is not as complicated as it sounds first. A simple compiler with the structure of the DM10 memory as a framework will do it.

Let's wait for xmas together and see what's happening...

Whatever you do though, do not shoot your knee off!!  ;D
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones

MicroStudio

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2010, 01:29:06 AM »
Wow what a thread... guess I will join it.

The sound sets will come and when they do people will forget about how long it took and find something else to bitch about... its the human way... too bad people don't look in the mirror and bitch at that person more often  ;)

I love my DM10... I sold my TD20 and bought the DM10 Studio Kit and find it has better sounds and is much easier to program and it links up with the I/O and gives you a ton more inputs... it also works great with the VST's... they said it would and it does.

So with the DM10 we have a lot of great things right now and soon like Alesis said we will have even more sounds and options with the updated OS.

Keep up the good work Alesis I hear it and play it all the time  :)

« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2010, 09:45:58 AM »
Very interesting thread, which answered some of the questions I had in mind about these issues. I would also appreciate to havethe possibility of converting custom sounds from your own pc library (a gunshot, police siren, whatever you like) into a dump file and upload it to the DM10. I can't wait for the new ROM, hope Alesis will bring many of the ideas listed above to life then.
e-gear: Alesis DM10 Studio Kit /w mesh conversion & Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide
a-gear: Yamaha Beech Custom, Sabian Cymbals

Orangeblood

« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Wow what a thread... guess I will join it.

The sound sets will come and when they do people will forget about how long it took and find something else to bitch about... its the human way... too bad people don't look in the mirror and bitch at that person more often  ;)

I love my DM10... I sold my TD20 and bought the DM10 Studio Kit and find it has better sounds and is much easier to program and it links up with the I/O and gives you a ton more inputs... it also works great with the VST's... they said it would and it does.

So with the DM10 we have a lot of great things right now and soon like Alesis said we will have even more sounds and options with the updated OS.

Keep up the good work Alesis I hear it and play it all the time  :)

Whoa there guy....

Offline vaikl

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2010, 04:16:29 PM »
Looking at that same page tho, it shows China cymbals as part of the kit.. >:(

Shame on me for assuming.

Just checked the China in the original DVi from Sonivox. It's very thin, you wouldn't really miss it.

-----------
Another look into the future: A PC-based librarian editor for changing/editing sounds and kits would be very nice, but for the use of the module in standalone mode it's not as flexible as wanted. And such a development must handle with a lot of licensing issues if the user can change sounds and kits.

What about a little added functionality in the firmware itself which could integrate an USB stick as a storage device? Storing the standard kits in a predefined folder on this stick and replacing the memory with one of the bought packages that are also stored on the stick, then - if i want to - re-replacing the memory with the standard kits, all done with one/two existing buttons on the module while you are in Utility menu doesn't sound very hard to implement.