Author Topic: Alesis....where are the 3rd party sounds?  (Read 22039 times)

Orangeblood

Alesis....where are the 3rd party sounds?
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »
I read in the 2009 Namm demo that this was going to happen....where are they? Over a year seems to be enough time to have these.
I'm seriously considering a DM10, but if 3rd party stuff is just a story that was told I'll buy something else.

Hellfire....any word on these?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:54:08 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Hellfire

Re: Alesis....where are the 3rd party sounds?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:13:20 AM »
I read in the 2009 Namm demo that this was going to happen....where are they? Over a year seems to be enough time to have these.
I'm seriously considering a DM10, but if 3rd party stuff is just a story that was told I'll buy something else.

Hellfire....any word on these?
Use the search function at the top of the forum. This topic has been talked about a lot. BTW, you will not like what you find.

Orangeblood

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:15:22 AM »
I did already....sure was hoping you had better news, or Alesis would respond with better news.

This really makes buying one tough...can't get one anyway. HAha

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »
...or Alesis would respond with better news.
I was hoping that as well. Unfortunately, Alesis hasn't come around since early June. :-[  Why?, I'm not sure. I could speculate, but that is all it would be is speculation.

Orangeblood

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »
I hope they realize that they are losing would be customers.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »
Orange...  Dan (US) and Scott (UK) are both members on this forum.  Find them under 'Members'.  You could private message them and you'll be sure to be heard (you may not get a reply, but you will be heard).

If I was Alesis, I'd want to know what factors play in a purchasing decision.

Orangeblood

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:58:45 PM »
What's kinda irritating is the fact that every one of their presentations they allude to 3rd party sounds...that was over a year ago. There isn't one interview, news story..etc that even offers an explanation.

Are we just supposed to forget about it? At the very least keep us posted now and then. I'm not even an owner, and frankly starting to look elsewhere. I can't buy a studio kit and I'm ready with cash now. They've been sold out for over 6mths. It doesn't take that long to manufacture....seems really odd

Orangeblood

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 08:52:32 AM »
I recieved an email back from Dan thought I'd post it.

Dear Larry,

Thank you for writing. I am sorry for your frustration.

I tested a sound set release candidate this week and was very happy with it, though it is not quite complete. Sound design si very time consuming and our team is hard at work getting them done. We plan to release several sound sets within 2010, but I cannot be more specific than that at this time.

We are making DM10s as quickly as possible but we have encountered some difficulty due to availability of some of the internal components. We are making DM10s as quickly as possible and working to resolve the component-supply concern.

I appreciate your input.

Best wishes,
Dan Radin

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 12:17:39 PM »
I learned that the Alesis percussion team is very small compared to some of the other companies. That explains a lot. My DM10 should be here next week and by the time I am up and going with a decent level of comfort these sound sets should be coming down the pipe. I look forward to all the new sounds I will get to play with. I love having hundreds of kits at my fingertips. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my hands on a couple of the VST's out there too.
As of now: DM10 Studio Kit with additional SURGE cymbals and DM5 pads.
Pearl ICON front rack with Stealth rack front curved bars for side rack arms
Vic Firth Sticks and MacBook for VST triggering.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 07:01:49 AM »
I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my hands on a couple of the VST's out there too.

I'm - as a newbie to edrums - just fiddling around with VSTs and that stuff. Have tested BFD2 and Superior Drummer 2 yet and can tell: Don't expect too much from VSTs in a DAW if you mean that kind of using it. You can really feel the latency difference between a standalone and a VST version if you don't have dedicated MIDI hardware for your DAW.

But with the standalone versions of the above mentioned products i'm now in heaven ;D ;D ;D
Toontrack is very simple to setup and just play but i like the BFD approach with their precise samples, variations and tweakability much more. Which i hope is the reason that Alesis mentioned a collaboration with FXpansion for the DM10 expansions. Any news on that??

Orangeblood

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 09:09:36 AM »
Dude, have you not read ANY of the previous posts?

Quote from: vaikl
[/quote

Which i hope is the reason that Alesis mentioned a collaboration with FXpansion for the DM10 expansions. Any news on that??

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:35:34 AM »

You can really feel the latency difference between a standalone and a VST version if you don't have dedicated MIDI hardware for your DAW

Only if you're using a poor interface or computer. If you have a good computer and good interface you can get the latency down so low you can't tell any latency anymore. I have an Intel Core i7 920 and have the latency on my Mackie Onyx set down to 2.5ms and neither I nor my drummer can notice any latency. So just keep in mind it's not a VST factor but a hardware quality factor. To have a super fast latency response time you need excellent hardware (both computer and audio interface) capable of processing the data fast enough.

Rev.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 11:33:56 AM »
Dude, have you not read ANY of the previous posts?

Yes, i think, and all i've found about a special deal with FXpansion was this thread: "Looking for feedback from DM10 pro kit users..." from february. I wonder if there's more "meat" in this rumor. FXpansion has made some serious efforts in RAM usage, especially for caching, loading sounds to and removing them from RAM so *maybe* they have a solution for the 128MB restriction in the pipe?

Offline audiopat

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 01:35:51 PM »
bump...
mid October...
any info?

Orangeblood

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 11:33:15 AM »
Not a thing.....Redbox and DM10 are same module. Yet another company has sounds already. Alesis wants to be considered with the big boys...they ahve a long way to go. IMO

Offline goony

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 04:20:27 PM »
The non appearance of custom sound sets was the main reason I went and bought my TD9, its a shame as the DM10 shows so much promise..
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »
Not a thing.....Redbox and DM10 are same module. Yet another company has sounds already. Alesis wants to be considered with the big boys...they ahve a long way to go. IMO

Yeah, I don't know what imbecile's they have running the company over there. Here they came out with a new kit and ramped up their position in the EDrum market (a market that pulls in quite a bit of cash) and they're all asleep over there. Seen a number of people sold off their kits already. I like my kit but based on principle, and the fact that Roland still slays it, I would sell my kit as well if the wife wouldn't kill me for it. And trust me she would after I sold the Roland saying I'd never get another and eventually got the Alesis!!

Rev.

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 01:47:33 AM »
I'm keeping my DM10 around for now, but I went and bought a DTXT3 for the same reason as you goony. After seeing the post about the midi maps and that the hi hat could eventually be dual zone, I'm hoping alesis makes up for the undelivered promises with a firmware update to unlock it. Hell, even let us download the expansion sounds that were not up to alesis standards and let us judge them, call us beta testers if that helps. After all this waiting though I personally need proof that the undelivered promises were not empty promises especially with Pearl already having their add on kits out.

Call me disillusioned, but I have seen enough vaporware (both software and hardware) to be a bit skeptical when Dan says back in April that he sent the sounds back because they weren't good enough, he then says the same thing in an email to Orange in September. So five months have passed and the sounds are still not up to par...

I'm not quite sure how long it takes to make a sound set from scratch, but I'm thinking 5 months would be enough time to record at least one new kit even if they completely tossed out the old one. And here we are with November only a week and a half away. The only conclusions I can come up with (being the cynic that I am) is that either a) alesis is just not that high up on the priority list with the company that is making the sounds for them, or b) there were never any sounds to begin with. Of course this is all just speculation on my part, but I've seen other companies use this type of stall tactic before.

When I first started replying I didn't mean for this to turn into a venting post, but now it is what it is. I'll keep my DM10 around till December, but if there is no tangible update (sound set or firmware unlocking the dual zone hi hat and other locked features) for the module by then I'll just give it to my buddy who is running a DM5 as a Christmas present and spend my money elsewhere.

Either way, I still have the DTXT3. I've just finished downloading the firmware from Yamaha that flashes it to a DTX900. I've also got a gig of memory ordered so I can expand the on board memory and add the 5 FREE oceanway drum kits and the 5 FREE expansion kits from Yamaha to the unit.

My post is in no way meant as bashing on the DM10, so I am sorry if it comes across that way. If anything, this is more frustration directed at alesis for how they have wasted the potential of what the DM10 could be today.

Alesis

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »
All,

Please allow me to respond.

Yes, we really are working on aftermarket sound sets for the DM10. Have they happened as quickly and smoothly as we ALL would've liked? Not by any stretch of the imagination. If you want to blame someone, blame me.

The first set is done and we are finalizing the business details with the developer. Are the sound sets late? You bet. I am truly sorry for the taste it's left in your mouth, but we are all doing our best to get them done.

Understand that Alesis is a business. And like any other business we need to balance acquiring customers (developing new products) with retaining customers (delivering on promises). When I took on product management in March, my evaluation of the situation dictated that we needed to be focused on getting new products in the pipeline. Without new products to drive sales, investing our limited resources in projects that don't generate much revenue (such as sound sets) is the wrong business decision.

I'm happy to say that we are accomplishing that goal and that we are now placing more emphasis on sustaining engineering/development, i.e. aftermarket sound sets and OS updates for existing gear.

The DM10 cannot support a dual-zone hi-hat trigger input. It's a matter of hardware, not software.

And, as Steve Jobs would say, one more thing: as of this week, Alesis is seeking a sound set developer. If you or someone you know would be interested in taking on this project, please contact me at dradin@alesis.com.

As always, thank you for your passion, thank you for your patience, and thank you for your feedback – good and bad.

Sincerely,
Dan Radin

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »
Kudos Dan!  Any official news is welcome to my ears at least..

I understand these things take time.. As I've said in the context of songwriting, "You can't force a (insert slang for bowel movement here)"..

I'd love to help, but time is thin these days and it wouldn't get the focus it deserves... Perhaps someday there could be a community project were we could kick things around - never underestimate the brainpower and talent lurking in a fan forum ;)

If I could request anything in lieu of new sound sets, it would be to give us the ability to load and save individual kits at will. That way we could trade them and spur more development within the stock set. This might help take some pressure off your development work..

All the best,

DeeDubs
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »
If I could request anything in lieu of new sound sets, it would be to give us the ability to load and save individual kits at will. That way we could trade them and spur more development within the stock set. This might help take some pressure off your development work..

All the best,

DeeDubs
I would also like to thank Dan for the update.

DeeDubs, I agree, that sounds like a great idea. One I would love to see.

Offline goony

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 07:51:47 PM »
I agree its news, But for me, was too little too late, and I wouldve loved to got the DM10, and I waited long enough, but am pleased i got the TD9 now....
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 09:14:53 PM »
While it's nice that Dan responded I can't believe how quick everyone is to just be "ok" with it because we simply got a response.

Dan, while I 100% understand that soundsets generate very little money, I mean it's obvious that the developer gets a cut too, I will say you aren't thinking clearly of the entire benefits. Selling a $20 or $50 sound sure doesn't give much to Alesis but the sales of the drumkits that are $1000+ will increase due to the feature!! Features sell products plain and simple. It's clear in today's day and age that people are now looking at hardware that companies continue to support and update - such as firmware. In the guitar world the Axe FX effect unit is selling like hotcakes, they can't even fill the demand and often are back ordered. Why? Well for many reasons but a top one is that they are constantly updating their firmware and adding new features and improvements.

This tells a customer he's not going to get home with said product and have it stay the same way forever, flaws, bugs, and all. Forget about the sound sets for a minute. What about the fact that *I* can not trigger dual zone cymbals at all on my DM10?? You tested this too and found the same thing and said you'd speak to the firmware programmers. I still haven't heard any update and it's been months. My only solution is to buy yet more frigin cymbals and cymbal mounts and make the kit more wobbly with all the weight. Come on now!!

Look, I understand Alesis wants to make cash as a top priority, but you're all overlooking the money right in front of you! Make these kits the best you can and grab a larger share of the market. You have a chance here to excel at something. And last I checked:

Alesis is NOT the top company in Studio Monitors
Alesis is NOT the top company in Keyboards
Alesis is NOT the top company in Mixers
Alesis is NOT the top company in Recording
Alesis is NOT the top company in Electronic Drums
Alesis is NOT the top company in Effect Processors

I hate to be a prick here... just saying you have a chance here and it really seems like you guys are operating under usual business pretenses.

Rev.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:17:03 PM by Rev2010 »

Alesis

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »
Rev,

Thank you for your feedback.

As I said in my previous post, we have recently been able to shift to a healthier balance between developing new and existing products. At no point have we ever entirely stopped solving problems that customers have brought to our attention.

To address your specific concerns, we are up to DM10 firmware v1.00m, the 13th version. We are indeed working on additional updates and we take suggestions seriously. That said, we will never be able to accommodate every single feature request.

Apple is not #1 in desktop computers
Apple is not #1 is laptop computers
Apple is not #1 in mobile phones
Apple is not #1 in servers
Apple is not #1 in networking
Apple is not #1 in portable music players
Apple IS #1 in tablet computers, but that will be short-lived as lower-priced competitors enter the market very soon

Apple sold $20 billion last quarter with $4 billion in earnings. Even if you take out the $4B worth of iPads they sold, that's $16B worth of their also-ran products.

We are not and never will be Apple. But Alesis is hiring. We have at least a half-dozen positions open that I'm aware of. Many of our competitors are laying people off, being acquired, or shutting their doors. We are trying to make the right decisions to grow and create jobs.

Will every musician agree with every decision we make? Never.
Are we trying to make the right decisions? Always.

Dan
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:19:08 PM by Dan @ Alesis »

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 10:34:49 PM »
Really Dan??? Who ever mentioned Apple? I hate Apple. Funny how you didn't just choose Microsoft, or Cisco, or Dell, or RIM, or Google - all top selling manufacturers.

Wow, your post was weird. But thanks for the first 4 lines of your response, after the Apple spat you lost me. I was merely making a point, which sorely seems to have been missed. BTW, the latest firmware on Alesis' site is 1.00l. If the users have to wait another few months to get the M revision what good is it to claim you're up to M? The update date on the "L" revision is April 4th, 2010. It's October 21st already.

Rev.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:43:32 PM by Rev2010 »