Author Topic: Using DM6 8" dual zone rubber pad with Strikepro--not working  (Read 671 times)

Using DM6 8" dual zone rubber pad with Strikepro--not working
« on: January 08, 2021, 12:07:09 PM »
I have acquired a DM6 8" dual zone rubber pad for use as an alternate ride cymbal for my StrikePro--with the center (zone 1) as the bow and rim (bell) as the edge.  I was able to do this, eventually, with a borrowed Roland PD-7.  I purchased the Alesis pad because it was larger as well as assuming it was "plug and play" .  The issues is that no matter where I strike the Alesis pad in the center zone 1, 50% (or more) of the time it triggers the Zone 2.  Striking zone 2 (the edge) ONLY results in a zone 2 sound, but the main pad can be struck anywhere and half the time zone 2 will trigger instead of the intended.  I have reduced sensitivity in Zone 2 to the max as well as increased threshold to the max.  I have increased Cross talk on both zones--no impact.  what next?

Re: Using DM6 8" dual zone rubber pad with Strikepro--not working
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 02:44:10 PM »
I found the image below which clearly shows a foam/rubber padding outside the ring of the inner pad, to effectively be placed under the rim.  The Trigger pad in question does NOT have that outside ring.  Might that be the problem in that the rim is triggering so often?  is that replaceable?

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 01:19:30 AM »
I too use old DM6 dual zone pads with my Strike module but only as drum triggers not cymbals and I'm not near my kit at the moment to swap one out and try it but, and this is just a thought and a possible item to eliminate from the equation, could this be a TRS. vs TS. cabling issue?
In other words, are you using a cable with a Tip/Ring/Sleeve and it is only looking for a cable with a Tip/Sleeve or vice/versa?

Like I said, just a thought and a possible fix or at least something to eliminate from your trouble shooting steps.

One other thing that comes to mind and since I'm not near my kit at the moment I can't verify which output/cymbal this affects but, as I recall, one of my multi zone cymbals would not trigger the different zones properly and I thought it was because I was using a Tip/Ring/Sleeve cable.  I bought a brand new Tip/Sleeve cable and tried it but then only one zone worked so I went back to the TRS cable BUT, I pulled the cable out of the module slightly so that only 2 of the cables tip areas would make contact and voila!, the cymbal now works as expected.
I can't explain it but somehow, it works with only two of the cable jacks zones making contact at the module and all three at the cymbal.

Good luck and please post back if you find a solution.

powerhouse
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:35:26 AM by powerhouse »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 10:11:38 AM »
I have acquired a DM6 8" dual zone rubber pad for use as an alternate ride cymbal for my StrikePro--with the center (zone 1) as the bow and rim (bell) as the edge.  I was able to do this, eventually, with a borrowed Roland PD-7.  I purchased the Alesis pad because it was larger as well as assuming it was "plug and play" .  The issues is that no matter where I strike the Alesis pad in the center zone 1, 50% (or more) of the time it triggers the Zone 2.  Striking zone 2 (the edge) ONLY results in a zone 2 sound, but the main pad can be struck anywhere and half the time zone 2 will trigger instead of the intended.  I have reduced sensitivity in Zone 2 to the max as well as increased threshold to the max.  I have increased Cross talk on both zones--no impact.  what next?

Alesis (Medeli) drum pads are P/P...Piezo for the Head and Piezo for the rim.
The Roland PD7 is P/S..Piezo for the Head ..Switch for the rim and was advertized as more of a Universal trigger that even worked with other manufacturers modules

The original DM6 had the "DMPads" ..8"...DMPad 8" Dual Zone and  DMPad 8" Single Zone ...attached pics.The more recent DM6 Nitro I believe was the same kit except had the newer Medeli DD512 module   which was a rebranded DM7X Session Kit   when Alesis dropped "DM"Recently All references to the more recent Nitro kit's and others have been removed from the Alesis site except for the Mesh kit.

The STRIKE module has 2 Ride cymbal inputs that are a circuit ..the Piezo is tied in with the switches(2) on the cymbal.
On a drum pad the Piezos are separate signals..In the Ride 1 input you'll get Bow and Bell...Ride 2 input will not function separately at all with any other pad/cymbal and the STRIKE module does not have the option to change the Ride from Triple (3) zone to Dual (2) zone as the original DM10 could so there would be 2 separate (Dual Zone) circuits ....the circuit in the STRIKE module remains open without anything in the Ride 2 module input.

If you do have the dual zone try and switch trigger type for the ride bell in the STRIKE module to Piezo..it probably won't do muchbecause the Bell and the edge are normally switch type if you strike the center of the pad with velocity or a sharp strike it is probably going to fire the bell..and the rim on lighter velocities is going to trigger the bow until you also give it a sharp strike..
That is the result I got testing 9" and 11" Dual Zone rubber pads from a Command Kit.

This is also why users try to add a cymbal to Tom 4 expansion inputs available on some modules and it also doesn't work as the input was designed for Piezo/Piezo not Piezo/Switch..or choke function..the module can't interpret the signal correctly.

EDIT:
Completely Rebuilt Command Kit post...
added images , information and User Guide as Alesis has removed all links information/images etc including Legacy from website.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:07:04 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 10:11:40 AM »
Thanks much for both comments.  As for TRS cabling, it indeed is a stereo cable, and the system works fine with other dual zone pads.  I also tried switching the "rim" zone to "switch", although it's clearly a piezo--unlike the Roland PD 7 it's replacing.  my intent was not to use the 3rd zone of the ride cymbal, only the "Bell" (which I would convert to either "edge" or a percussion instrument)  and the Bow (which I would leave as that function).  I never typically "crash" my ride cymbal--I typically use the bow as a ping ride, with occasional bell--so the natural 2 zones would work fine. 

That said, I keep going back to the point that my particular pad does NOT have the added rubber pad under the rim as depicted in the prior picture.  I am assuming that because of the lack of that layer of insulation, the rim has become "trigger happy".  Although the fact that Chaser had a similar experience as me when he tried something similar with the Command Kit pads has me wondering if I'll have the same experience assigning the pad to a "Tom 4" slot rather than the ride cymbal
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 10:20:19 AM by Hole$hot »

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 11:29:57 AM »
SOLUTION:  At least in my case....the rim was not working, so I replaced the Piezo.  then it was misfiring constantly--hitting the pad and triggering the rim sound---NOT the pad sound.  I found that the rubber plate under the main pad was not dampened well enough.  So I added additional padding between the case itself (the rim triggered by the main case) and the metal plate under the main pad.  It now works great.