Author Topic: Crimson II Module: how to insert Hi-Hat ?  (Read 1407 times)

Crimson II Module: how to insert Hi-Hat ?
« on: November 17, 2019, 08:22:57 AM »
Hello Fellow Drummers.

I am pretty new with Alesis and i am enjoying hte Crimson II set.  I know the module pretty well and i know how to arrange the kits arround the module. i also made new kits to my preference  and so on. 
i bought a few samples online , i was looking for the paperthin Zildian hihat sound and i find a few. 
the module could find the samples but could not play it. so i convert them to the standard. 16 bit, mono .48 sample.  now the module can see them and play the samples. the hihat sounds are great. exactly what i am looking for but . i can not play open ore close anymore. 
as an example.  i have like 5 samples from the zildian hi hat that i like.. 1 sample is the sound that the hihet is close, 3 other different versions i can chouse from like 1/4 and half and full open . and i foot pedel sound. 
but what ever i do , i cant get it to work . it will always play 1 sample. .
What am i doing wrong ? 

any help would be super nice !

Jeroen.

Offline Chaser

Re: Crimson II Module: how to insert Hi-Hat ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 01:42:24 PM »
Hello Fellow Drummers.

I am pretty new with Alesis and i am enjoying hte Crimson II set.  I know the module pretty well and i know how to arrange the kits arround the module. i also made new kits to my preference  and so on. 
i bought a few samples online , i was looking for the paperthin Zildian hihat sound and i find a few. 
the module could find the samples but could not play it. so i convert them to the standard. 16 bit, mono .48 sample.  now the module can see them and play the samples. the hihat sounds are great. exactly what i am looking for but . i can not play open ore close anymore. 
as an example.  i have like 5 samples from the zildian hi hat that i like.. 1 sample is the sound that the hihet is close, 3 other different versions i can chouse from like 1/4 and half and full open . and i foot pedel sound. 
but what ever i do , i cant get it to work . it will always play 1 sample. .
What am i doing wrong ? 

any help would be super nice !

Jeroen.

I don't believe you can use your own Hi Hat samples.I never had much luck.
The modules using a variable/continuous pedal (RealHat) are expecting variable sample(s) not one shots.The manual states the Hi Hat uses "Hi Hat combinations"
When I went through these modules,the Crimson/Crimson II and DM10 Studio MKII would not let me save all the HH samples to a User kit,it would only save the last sample assigned and when I did load samples (HH,Pedal,Splash) prior to saving the HH acted like none of the samples were in a mute group.
After saving , the HH would always default to the Factory samples except the last one assigned.It didn't matter which order I assigned them or if I saved the kit in between assigning.
Try saving a kit with your sample(s) on the Hi Hat and see if all stay assigned after saving.
also if you ever use a Vst the midi from open/closed is tied to one note - 8 on the DM10 Studio MKII and the Crimson II.
To get a consistent splash move your foot down the pedal and quick tap the area above the Alesis logo,the rubber actuator seems to give a sharper strike on the linear /soft pot.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 09:51:12 AM »
Thank you for your reply Chaser.

so just to double check .. you can load in samples for all pads and cymbals but not for Hi-Hat ?  is that correct ?  its a pitty they did not mentioned this in the commercials and reviews.  since the hi-hat is just an ON -Off pedal and nothing in between i can not find the real sound that i like.  the 1/4 ore haf open set is something that i us alot in my rock / metal music.
Nothing i can do ?  is there an improvement with other pedal or other solution >  ?

Jeroen.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2019, 11:16:18 AM »
Thank you for your reply Chaser.

so just to double check .. you can load in samples for all pads and cymbals but not for Hi-Hat ?  is that correct ?  its a pitty they did not mentioned this in the commercials and reviews.  since the hi-hat is just an ON -Off pedal and nothing in between i can not find the real sound that i like.  the 1/4 ore haf open set is something that i us alot in my rock / metal music.
Nothing i can do ?  is there an improvement with other pedal or other solution >  ?

Jeroen.

I didn't have any issues with loading samples other than the HH , which I was expecting problems as most modules have the HH locked to internal HH samples and MIDI notes.
The Crimson II kit should have the RealHat pedal(continuous/variable-linear softpot).
The DMHat pedal is on/off-open/closed.
The Crimson II also has the option in the menu to switch to the Pro-X (FSR).

Hi-Hat Selection
If you are using an Alesis Pro X Hi-Hat (instead of the RealHat hi-hat control pedal included with your Crimson II Kit), you will need to configure the module type for that type of hi-hat control.
To select the type of hi-hat control:
1. Press Kit to enter the Kit Selection page (if you are not already viewing it).
2. Press Menu to enter the Kit Menu.
3. Use the Down and Up buttons to select HiHat Type.
4. Use the dial or Left () and Right () buttons to select On or Off.
• Pedal: Select this if you are using the RealHat hi-hat control pedal included with your Crimson II Kit.
• Pro-X: Select this if you have upgraded to the Alesis Pro X Hi-Hat.
5. Press Exit to return to the previous page.

If you decide to go with a HiHat and stand look for a STRIKE HiHat.
It is the same bottom half/controller,but the top is much quieter and you can usually pick one up on ebay for the same price as the Pro-X.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:09:08 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 02:08:30 PM »
Thanx for the explanation ..

Yeah i have the RealHat pedal. I will play with this and see if i can find any options..

thanx again !

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 11:38:11 PM »
You mentioned you like the Zildjian paperthin which are pretty dark.
Have you tried adjusting the HH Voices ? These modules can come fairly close if you know what the modules sample is based on and you have a sample to compare.
Set the pitch to -08 and scroll through the Hi Hat voices...then adjust the decay for however long you want the sample to ring.The Funk and Jazz came pretty close to the samples I have for a 1950's Paperthin 13".
The Hi Hat's in the module also have different ranges for open to close.
Spend some time and try matching your sample(s).

EDIT:
I forgot to mention I was using a Crimson module ( I sold the DM10 Studio MKII and the Crimson II)
The Crimson II module has a few more kits and samples (4 additional preset kits and 71 new sounds.)
I Don't remember if it had more Hi Hat combinations.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 12:19:27 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 01:17:00 PM »

Thank you for the tip !  i will work on that .

thanx again .

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 02:16:09 PM »
When you go into the Voices strike the Hi Hat or select the HiHat voice. Once you change the pitch to-08 it will  automatically be applied to the Pedal and the Splash Voices , which pretty much confirms the "combinations" are all linked.