Author Topic: The New Look  (Read 6117 times)

Online AlanK

The New Look
« on: January 30, 2016, 11:23:41 AM »
Since I've already snazzed up my DM10X a bit with the addition of a Laurin snare and kick, having chosen a nice wood shell laminate, I've been wanting to match the rest of my kit or add some more funk. The new Strike Pro got me really envious of the flare and of course the drum depth that more matches a real acoustic set.
So I got thinking I could find some melamine or veneer edging and just wrap that inch or so area under the hoops. I went to Home Depot and the closest match I could find was an Oak.. it's nice, but a bit lighter than my Laurin shells.. still, its a start, it was like 3 bucks for the smallest pack (unfortunately it was enough to do two 12" toms and my 10" upper tom but I need a bit more for the 8" upper). But it was just a first test to see if this would fit and how it would look. I was actually able to simply slide the strip into the flared area beside a lug and because it was wrapped in a tight round roll it just slipped around the circumfrence and then I'd snip it once it met the other end.. if I was serious and felt like taking some more time to make it precise, I'd take the heads off and get it even more snug but it still looks pretty nifty as it is.
I was in Walmart for other stuff and I happened to find a bunch of cool kids room wall borders.. they had 3 sparkle patterns in red, blue and gold.. I took the blue because I figured it would make a nice contrast against the wood of my snare and kick. It's a thicker band so it would need to be trimmed.. I haven't tried it yet, will keep the oak veneer strip on for a while, but I'm excited to see the blue sparkle cuz it's really deep blue and looks a lot like what they do use on drum wraps anyways. In theory, it was easy to slide the oak veneer on so maybe this stuff will go on easy as well and I can interchange them as I please!
It's not that thick an area but it does kinda make the drums pop a bit! And besides, there's no way I can afford the Strike Pro when it comes out for at least a year if that, so this is my way of making my DM10X look even cooler (as far as I'm concerned). Check out the photos   8)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Re: The New Look
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 03:42:34 PM »
Alan,

Those look very nice. I'm wanting to do that also, just need to decide on a color and find time.
Great job.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:55:26 AM »
Am I blilnd? Where did you put the blue sparkle?
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Online AlanK

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 11:37:39 AM »
Hahaha, well I haven't tried out the blue yet. First test was with the wood grain because it was so easy to get on, the tape was rigid and it just slid in behind the lugs and fit perfectly height wise. Unfortunately, the shells are so shallow on these kits that you barely see the detail, only really makes an impression if you're looking at eye level but it's kind of cool.. I'm supposing people seated 10 or 20 feet in front of your kit might notice something.
I'm going to try the sparkle in a couple weeks.. because it's a thicker roll and because it's a wall border, not melamine edging, I have a feeling I'll have to trim it to half thickness and I doubt it'll be rigid enough to slide into behind the lugs.. probably have to remove the hoops and heads, but I also think it might show better. Will post pics when I get around to it   ;D
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 02:45:46 PM »
What are the options for longer lug bolts and making them bigger? I haven't really looked into it.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Khes74

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 02:56:57 PM »
What are the options for longer lug bolts and making them bigger? I haven't really looked into it.

Lug bolts? You don't mean this do you? https://wagen-wheels.com/images/products/14x1.5%20conical%20seat%20lug%20bolts.jpg

I think you mean tension rods which are widely available, from manufactures such as Gibraltar and Sound Percussion.

Online AlanK

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 03:40:14 PM »
My bad.. I'm the one referring to them as lug bolts but yes, I guess tension rod is the right term as to where I was inserting the veneer edging behind. Actually, I guess if we found deeper (wider? longer?) hoops we could make our pads a lot more similar to the Strike Pro and then wrap them with a wider choice of colour or texture and so on. I remember a thread where someone had found hoops from a crafts store, like maybe it was what they use for needlework.. guess one could take shells that match in diameter from an old acoustic tom, cut them in half or thirds, then if you can get long enough tension rods you could switch up your pads to look a lot more "acoustic".. hmmm.. tempting

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »
Now you're thinkin...

Offline rhysT

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 08:27:58 PM »
Actually, I guess if we found deeper (wider? longer?) hoops we could make our pads a lot more similar to the Strike Pro and then wrap them with a wider choice of colour or texture and so on. I remember a thread where someone had found hoops from a crafts store, like maybe it was what they use for needlework.. guess one could take shells that match in diameter from an old acoustic tom, cut them in half or thirds, then if you can get long enough tension rods you could switch up your pads to look a lot more "acoustic".. hmmm.. tempting

Another option could be using PVC pipe, available in standard 8/10/12 inch (outer) diameters:
http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/resource-center/dimensions/
It should be easy enough to mark and cut required pipe lengths to suit longer tension rods.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:51:15 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 10:08:55 PM »
PVC - that is an great option. Easy to work with and the price is very reasonable. I smell proto type in my future.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:18:27 PM by Drum key »

Online AlanK

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »
what an excellent idea, and I wonder if you can have then cut the sizes for you right there at the store? ie. at our Home Depot and other building materials stores, if you buy lumber or steel, they give you 2 free cuts.. so maybe I could just ask for a few 6" lenghts of 12, 10 and 8" tubes.. hmmm.. as The R00ster says.. "now yer thinkin"   ;D

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 10:06:04 AM »
And if you have access to a vinyl printer, you could print any type of designed wrap.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 10:22:52 AM »
The hard part is going to be routing a bearing edge on the PVC.
JimmyB

Online AlanK

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »
True.. hmm, sandpaper? I would think as long as there are no burrs or rough patches and there's a bit of an angle, it would be ok? I mean, it's not an acoustic head on there so it likely wouldn't have to be perfect

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 12:25:31 PM »
If using Mylar it won't matter much. If mesh then they will need to be smooth rounded and even.
JimmyB

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 01:15:25 PM »

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »
That's how they're cut. The problem with routing PVC is the melting and buildup on the cutter.
JimmyB

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 09:45:16 PM »
Yeah, thats the catch with PVC, low melting point and it is messy,  kinda like working with acrylic. But it is doable for sure.
Another issue would be how to mount the piezo mechanism inside the shell so you get the correct height so that the drum head rests on the cones. I'm my case with the mesh kit I'd have to make sure that all 8 trigger zones touch the mesh drum head.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:50:58 AM by Drum key »

Online AlanK

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 01:54:41 PM »
Last night I changed out the woodgrain veneer edge trim on my pads for the sparkle blue wall border that I found at Walmart. It's no pro shell pack but hey, it's a 6 dollar mod just to add some pizzaz to the look. It was easy to do and it was just enough in the roll to do all my toms, 8, 10, two 12s.. I like the contrast it gives with the wood on my snare and kick shells. I even have a couple of wash lights mounted on my frame so I was checking out the look with blue lighting.. kinda cool, sorry the pics don't do it justice but you'll get the point at least. Since I know I won't be able to afford the Strike Pro for a while, at least I've got some extra flair now on this DM10X to make the shells stand out a bit and it makes me feel like I'm playing on a more realistic set, which aside from the low cost, is why I went for the Alesis in the first place.. its just SO much more like playing a real full size acoustic set compared to kits of similar cost. Happy drumming gang! (Hellfire, I hope the file sizes aren't going to bust the site.. I sized them down a lot to about 500k each.. is that still too much?)

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 05:58:27 PM »
Wow! What difference that makes. That looks great. The sparkle brings that blue out and makes it pop!

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 02:06:28 PM »
Looking Sharp!!  i like it

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2016, 02:01:50 AM »
I would have loved to see a video of the application process.

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 11:38:59 PM »
Man you are really on to something. I would like to see the bigger thing done. Great work though I love it!
- Josh

Alesis DM10 Module triggering SD2.0 - A2E converted Sonor Force 2007. All 3 ply mesh head / Drum-Tec Real Feel. :)

Offline bmealer

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 11:40:31 PM »
That looks awesome!  Best part is that is looks like an expensive mod, but is really cheap.  I think I just found my next project. 
Alesis DM10-X, Remo Silent Stroke mesh heads, 682drums cone conversion, Tama Speed Cobra double pedal, Pork Pie Big Boy Drum Throne, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL, Studio One Producer, Superior Drummer 2

Online AlanK

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 09:04:36 AM »
I know, eh? Love those cheap projects! The border stuff cost me about 6 dollars, there was enough on the roll to do all my pads.. it's a thin strip but from the right angle it just makes the kit pop.