Author Topic: Adobe Audition 1.5  (Read 5029 times)

Offline Guinness

Adobe Audition 1.5
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:49:57 PM »
Anybody ever use Adobe Audition 1.5?

I just installed it, and it looks like the learning curve is a bit steep.  I see it has MIDI in/out.  That could be interesting.

anyways...  if you have experience with it, give me a shout.

Thanks.

Offline DeeDubs

Re: Adobe Audition 1.5
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:45:41 AM »
Guinness,

I used it back when it was known as Cool Edit Pro.. Not sure what it has for MIDI these days, but if you have any questions I can try to field them for ya.

I picked up Mixcraft 5 which has been pretty good for me lately - kind of like a garageband for windows. Pretty inexpensive as well..

For those who aren't afraid of Linux, I highly recommend the MUSIX live cd (IT'S FREE!). Just boot up the PC to the CD, and it loads up a TON of really good tools (hydrogen, Ardour, Rosegarden, JACK rack to name a few). Save your files to an external drive, and when you reboot, it's back to the original machine (great for commandeering friends and family PCs for a DAW, effects unit, or synth).
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »
For those who aren't afraid of Linux, I highly recommend the MUSIX live cd (IT'S FREE!). Just boot up the PC to the CD, and it loads up a TON of really good tools (hydrogen, Ardour, Rosegarden, JACK rack to name a few). Save your files to an external drive, and when you reboot, it's back to the original machine (great for commandeering friends and family PCs for a DAW, effects unit, or synth).
That sounds interesting. Does it have drum synths? I mean can I hook up a edrum set and play drum samples from the MUSIX synth library?

What I'm looking for is a simple virtual drum module of sorts that runs under Linux.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:15:07 AM »
That sounds interesting. Does it have drum synths? I mean can I hook up a edrum set and play drum samples from the MUSIX synth library?

What I'm looking for is a simple virtual drum module of sorts that runs under Linux.

Hydrogen is a pretty nice drum machine, with MIDI support. I think I'm in the same boat as you - I want an inexpensive way to add a sampler without buying more gear (I miss the old akai that I had back in the day). I have an old laptop that I installed Musix on, and I have been able to play the drum sounds from my MIDI keyboard, but I haven't had time to tinker with loading custom sounds. I think there's also other synth progs with sampling capability which need exploring.  Hopefully I'll take this on soon, or we could make it a community project (shrug).

~D~
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 03:01:57 AM »
I got Audition to work...  but haven't tried Midi yet.  It works really well with line-in from my DM10.

And it's an impressive 128-track, powerful mixer.  1.5 is an older version, but it easily surpases my expectations.  (based on zero experience.  lol)

thanks for the input.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »

Hydrogen is a pretty nice drum machine, with MIDI support. I think I'm in the same boat as you - I want an inexpensive way to add a sampler without buying more gear (I miss the old akai that I had back in the day). I have an old laptop that I installed Musix on, and I have been able to play the drum sounds from my MIDI keyboard, but I haven't had time to tinker with loading custom sounds. I think there's also other synth progs with sampling capability which need exploring.  Hopefully I'll take this on soon, or we could make it a community project (shrug).

~D~

FYI I tested Musix yesterday - Ran Hydrogen fine (although the midi map needs a bit of tweaking) with realtime triggering on an old 1 ghz laptop.

I'll try it on my netbook when I get the chance - the only issues I forsee might be with the screen and the x server.

Cheap drum sampler... check!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »

~D~

FYI I tested Musix yesterday - Ran Hydrogen fine (although the midi map needs a bit of tweaking) with realtime triggering on an old 1 ghz laptop.

I'll try it on my netbook when I get the chance - the only issues I forsee might be with the screen and the x server.

Cheap drum sampler... check!
Thanks for the update DeeDubs. I just got an extra PC this weekend and I think I might give this a try. BTW, do you know if there is a Midi Ox like program for Linux? I've had problems backing-up my DM10 with my mac. It looks to be a Mac compatibility issue.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 01:27:57 PM »
HF,

Supposedly there is a program called simple sysexxer for linux, but I don't think it's part of the Musix distro (I couldn't find it). I am also trying to figure this one out since I'm a bit paranoid - losing settings once I get them where I like 'em would be a bag full of suck.

I'm pretty sure you can run Midi-ox under wine (windows emulation for linux) but I haven't tested it yet.

I'll keep you in the loop..
~D~