Author Topic: Newbie to VST -- help needed  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Pier

Newbie to VST -- help needed
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:34:41 AM »
Hi all,
I'm looking for some clarifications because I'm NOT AT ALL into VST drums and the argument is totally new for me, so -- please -- be patient and bear with me guys...

I've read that some VST drum kits can be uploaded into DM10 via USB and an external PC.
Also, surfing the web and visiting some websites (i.e. Steven Slate, Addictive Drums, etc), I've seen that they sell full packets: not only the sounds but also a software to control them, their midi implementation, some midi sequences and the likes.

My questions are:
- May I upload just the sounds into DM10 and use them after WITHOUT an external PC?
- Will DM10's sounds be deleted by the new VST sounds, or is there a memory area into DM10 suitable to host all the new sounds?

Maybe any of you has already experience in this field and could help me a little...
Thanks for your time, I appreciate a lot!  ;)

Cheers

Online Hellfire

Re: Newbie to VST -- help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »
Hi all,
I'm looking for some clarifications because I'm NOT AT ALL into VST drums and the argument is totally new for me, so -- please -- be patient and bear with me guys...

I've read that some VST drum kits can be uploaded into DM10 via USB and an external PC.
Also, surfing the web and visiting some websites (i.e. Steven Slate, Addictive Drums, etc), I've seen that they sell full packets: not only the sounds but also a software to control them, their midi implementation, some midi sequences and the likes.

My questions are:
- May I upload just the sounds into DM10 and use them after WITHOUT an external PC?
- Will DM10's sounds be deleted by the new VST sounds, or is there a memory area into DM10 suitable to host all the new sounds?

Maybe any of you has already experience in this field and could help me a little...
Thanks for your time, I appreciate a lot!  ;)

Cheers
Hi Pier,
Keep in mind you can not upload VST drum kits from your VST software to your DM10. The DM10 has it own file format. New VST sounding "Sound Sets" are being designed by some makers of VST's and those files will be purchasable and uploadable to your DM10.

Notice I bolded the term "Sound Sets". That because that is the name of the files sets that are going to be sold for upload for the DM10. There is a topic about when these file will be available. Here is the link:

Where are the DM10 Custom Sound Sets?

Too many people are getting confused with this. They see VST software companies making these "Sound Sets" and assume that mean it is possible to upload VST drum sounds from their VST software. That is not the case and unfortunately, this miss information keeps being spread over the web.

Offline Pier

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:57:39 AM »
Thanks so much Phil!
Absolutely informative reply that will help me to save lots of money  :D (or keep the same aumonts of money ready for Alesis' Sound Sets...  ::) ).

... New VST sounding "Sound Sets" are being designed by some makers of VST's and those files will be purchasable and uploadable to your DM10....

So I must assume that, at the current date, there's no Alesis or third part's products already ready to be tested / purchased?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:02:59 AM »
So I must assume that, at the current date, there's no Alesis or third part's products already ready to be tested / purchased?
Correct. That is why I started the above topic.

Offline Pier

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 04:51:35 PM »
Thanks again, precious infos.
You da man !!!  8) 8) 8)