Author Topic: Custom kit setting downloads for DM10?  (Read 16203 times)

Offline Hellfire

Re: Custom kit setting downloads for DM10?
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 03:51:42 PM »
It would be good to share kits this way, somehow...
Surely Alesis Dan is listening :-)
I already wrote to Dan. Dan gave me an email to their technical guy. I emailed him yesterday. I am waiting for a response.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 04:20:29 PM »
HF, Have a PC to try it on?

i suppose I should have better explained.  I was thinking you could try it on a PC, to see if indeed it is a Mac thing, or something strange with the OS of your DM10.

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 04:24:49 PM »
first time i tried to restore, the module was just on waiting mode (power up module while holding rec, then module goes into waiting...) then i realized that i have not set my midi out on midi-ox to the dm10.  after i changed the midi out settings, i was able to do the restore.

DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline goony

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 05:14:38 PM »
would be good if could just use a usb stick to store kits & parameters....
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »
Update:

Today I thought I would try again. Believe it or not, today it works. ??? Why?, I don't know. The only thing different is I update iTunes today. That's it. That was the only difference between today and the 2 other days I tried this. I have a hard time believing that an iTunes update would fix something on the midi end but it is working now so I'm not going to question it.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 04:21:34 PM »
Does anyone know if each kit can be exported via sysex?

I just want to stress that this ability (individual kit import/export) would be key to getting a user community swapping drum kits, and be a big driver for selling more alesis units.. (nudge nudge wink wink)..

..just sayin..

~D~
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »
Update:

Today I thought I would try again. Believe it or not, today it works. ??? Why?, I don't know. The only thing different is I update iTunes today. That's it. That was the only difference between today and the 2 other days I tried this. I have a hard time believing that an iTunes update would fix something on the midi end but it is working now so I'm not going to question it.
No sooner do I say its working, its now not working again? >:( >:( >:( >:(
What the hell is the deal?

and before anybody asks, no it is not the cable. I have check it so many times now I've lost count.

Alesis

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
These steps can be done over USB or regular MIDI Cables with the input and output both connected.

To Record All Memory

Using SysEx Librarian (Mac)
-It is necessary to press the “Record Many” button instead of “Record One”.
-Then under Utility select SYS (F4)
-Select “All Memory”
-Press SEND (F4)

Using MidiOx (Windows)
-Go to Options and select Midi Devices
-For MIDI Inputs and Outputs make sure USB Audio Device is selected
-Press Ok once these are highlighted
-Go to View and Select SysEx
-Go to Sysex at the top of the new window
-Select Receive manual dump…
-Create a file name and press Save
-Then under Utility select SYS (F4)
-Select “All Memory”
-Press SEND (F4)
-Once DM10 screen returns to Utility screen select Done in MidiOx

To Send Memory Back to DM10

In order to receive an ALL MEMORY transfer, the DM10 must be in MIDI RESTORE mode. To get into MIDI RESTORE turn on the DM10 holding the STORE button.

Using SysEx Librarian (Mac)
-Select USB DM10 MIDI Interface from the Destination menu bar
-Select SysEx file from the menu area. If there are no files (.syx) then go to the bottom of the window and select Add… to include the file you’d like to send to the menu.
-Highlight the file you’d like to send by clicking on it.
-Press the Play button
-There will be some activity on the DM10 screen, once the screen says MIDI RESTORE OK turn off unit and turn it back on.

Using MidiOx (Windows)
-Go to Options and select Midi Devices
-For MIDI Inputs and Outputs make sure USB Audio Device is selected
-Press Ok once these are highlighted
-Go to View and select Port Routings…
-If there is a line between USB Audio Device on the Input Ports and USB Audio Device on the Output Ports right click on the line and select Disconnect USB Audio Device
-Go to View and select SysEx
-Go to File and select Send SysEx File…
-Pick the .syx file you’d like to send
-There will be some activity on the DM10 screen, once the screen says MIDI RESTORE OK turn off unit and turn it back on.

Overall, MidiOx can be a little trickier to work with. The port routings business is only a problem with transferring memory back to the DM10 over USB. If for example you just use a MIDI cable on the MIDI In, then there is no problem. For some reason MidiOx automatically creates a midi feedback loop in this situation.

NOTE
It is currently not possible to send individual kits over to the DM10. The easiest way to “try out” someone else’s kit would be to record your current memory, then load someone else’s memory.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 05:08:42 PM »
Thank you Dan. I found the discrepancy. My paper operator's manual doesn't state hold down the "STORE" button while powering up. The only reference to updating the module states on page 32 to hold the "REC" button down while powering up.

What have I learned from this? Don't use your paper operator's manual. Page 34 of the REV C manual states this info. My paper manual does not. Problem solved. Everything works fine.

...I must have a REV A manual.. ::) ::) ::)

Offline Guinness

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »
Ok, so Can you save just one memory slot?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »
No, all or nothing. Dan mentioned that in his post when he stated:

NOTE
It is currently not possible to send individual kits over to the DM10. The easiest way to “try out” someone else’s kit would be to record your current memory, then load someone else’s memory.

I would love to see an OS update to allow one kit at a time or at least a first 000-099 kit save and a 100-199 kit save. That might be easier to do. I don't know. Just guessing.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 07:18:48 PM »
No, all or nothing. Dan mentioned that in his post when he stated:

NOTE

I would love to see an OS update to allow one kit at a time or at least a first 000-099 kit save and a 100-199 kit save. That might be easier to do. I don't know. Just guessing.

Thanks.  I didn't see Dan's message.  If he's listening, I'd like to be able to define which kit I "send", and which "location" I save the 1 kit I want to "receive".  know what I mean?  For example, your custom kit at 000, I'd want to save that on say 110.  that sort of flexibility would be kewl.  but first, need to be able to send and receive just 1 kit; not all 200.

anyways...  From the sound of all of our suggestions, the "DM20" is going to be a kick ass module.  LOL

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 08:11:49 PM »

Thanks.  I didn't see Dan's message.  If he's listening, I'd like to be able to define which kit I "send", and which "location" I save the 1 kit I want to "receive".  know what I mean?  For example, your custom kit at 000, I'd want to save that on say 110.  that sort of flexibility would be kewl.  but first, need to be able to send and receive just 1 kit; not all 200.

anyways...  From the sound of all of our suggestions, the "DM20" is going to be a kick ass module.  LOL
Ultimately I would prefer the type of save that you describe but, I would bet the DM10 OS space is limited. It might be easier for Alesis to implement the block set of kit saves (first 100, second 100) than what you describe.

Let say you can only do the block save that I suggested. What you could do is put all of your own custom kits in the 000-099 kit locations. New kits could then be added in kit locations 100-199. If you only like a few of those kits in the 100-199 block (that you just downloaded) just move the ones you like to your 000-099 block. That way you can import more custom kits without loosing the ones you like. ;)

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2010, 08:13:40 PM »
the sound of all of our suggestions, the "DM20" is going to be a kick ass module.  LOL

Having just bought one, I hope it'll be the DM10 that's the kick ass module ;)
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2010, 10:12:58 PM »
I haven't messed with sysex since my DM5.  Can I alter the files on my computer?  Can i move kits around?   (I know I can do it on the module itself, but that just seems time consuming.) I'd love to put all the natural sounding kits in one group, all the foreign kits in another group, hip hop, etc... 

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2010, 10:48:24 PM »
yeah it'd be real nice to have a librarian program. I wonder how much of this stuff can be manipulated by midi..  I remember having a program that would help make custom sounds on my Roland D-50 and it made things SO much easier.

Here's one for the DM5 - http://www.jcsautomation.com/dm5edit.asp
I wonder if this'll work on the DM10?

Alesis

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 12:27:48 AM »
I would love to see an OS update to allow one kit at a time...

Noted and added to one of many lists.  ;)

Alesis

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 12:30:04 AM »
yeah it'd be real nice to have a librarian program.

I agree completely but I think it would be difficult to get in done in-house. If anyone is interested in building one for the DM10, please let me know.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »

I agree completely but I think it would be difficult to get in done in-house. If anyone is interested in building one for the DM10, please let me know.

I'm in.. Rather than recreating the wheel, the plan is to modify the DM5 or DMpro driver for JSynthLib, an open source editor/librarian that is Java based (so it should work on PC/Mac/Linux). If anyone can get me the sysex spec for both the DM10 and the DM5 it would help..

..and if there are any Java programmers out there, I will likely need your help soon  :o

..wish me luck..
~D~
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 10:05:01 AM by DeeDubs »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »

I'm in.. Rather than recreating the wheel, the plan is to modify the DM5 or DMpro driver for JSynthLib, an open source editor/librarian that is Java based (so it should work on PC/Mac/Linux). If anyone can get me the sysex spec for both the DM10 and the DM5 it would help..

..and if there are any Java programmers out there, I will likely need your help soon  :o

..wish me luck..
~D~
You might want to try PM'ing Alesis for that info. Just a thought.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 10:23:58 AM »
Ok will do.

BTW the JSynthLib feature request is now officially in SourceForge:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=41208&atid=430007

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2010, 12:17:26 PM »

..wish me luck..
~D~

all the java i've been having lately is the one i have in my cup but i'm in...though my java is rusty...

i was actually reviewing my sysex dumps (system and triggers) and it's not that complicated as long as we have the sysex specs for the DM10.

DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline ghostman

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
I'd be interested, my Java is a bit rusty, too, but this is something I could dig into.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.