Author Topic: Help needed with DM10X Ride cymbal  (Read 1427 times)

Help needed with DM10X Ride cymbal
« on: January 01, 2020, 12:43:50 PM »
Hi all,

First of all, I checked and double-checked the forum and I couldn't find a fix to my problem with the Ride cymbal on my DM10X.

Recently I have lost the bell sound on my ride cymbal. I did not make any changes to any settings for that to happen. I tried to follow some fixes here with no result. Still the same.

I have the bell input set to 'switch' and mode to '3 zones'. That's how it's always been and always worked fine. Now, when I hit the bell I get the same sound as the bow sound.

When I switch bell input to 'piezo' I get bell sound on both bow and the bell. I also tried changing crosstalk settings but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Online Hellfire

Re: Help needed with DM10X Ride cymbal
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 08:13:22 AM »
Hi all,

First of all, I checked and double-checked the forum and I couldn't find a fix to my problem with the Ride cymbal on my DM10X.

Recently I have lost the bell sound on my ride cymbal. I did not make any changes to any settings for that to happen. I tried to follow some fixes here with no result. Still the same.

I have the bell input set to 'switch' and mode to '3 zones'. That's how it's always been and always worked fine. Now, when I hit the bell I get the same sound as the bow sound.

When I switch bell input to 'piezo' I get bell sound on both bow and the bell. I also tried changing crosstalk settings but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I don't know how handy you are, but (don't attempt if you are not handy) you might want to try to open up the cymbal and double check to make sure the bell switch didn't get disconnected. Sometimes (in gerneral) those mylar switch ends will slip out of the the connector on the PCB. If it isn't that then it sounds like your bell switch went bad. I'm sorry to say but, you might have to just replace the cymbal at that point.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »
Thanks for your reply Hellfire. I did open up the cymbal no problem, checked all the connections and they seemed fine. Then, just to be on the safe side, I unclipped the mylar switch ends and put them back together. Still the same.

I then performed factory reset of the module and reuploaded the most recent firmware (all the steps incl triggers, rom etc.) That didn't help either.

Do you think there is a way of fixing that without replacing? I can certainly fix the PCB, try and source the parts and replace them. I tried looking for the Alesis DMPad 16'' 3 zone ride but on Alesis website it says it's been discontinued and I could not find another one online.

Not sure if this isn't a problem with the jack socket too. When I unplug the jack from the brain just slightly so that only one area on the jack sleeve in connected the bell works.

Any ideas?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 08:18:46 AM »
Thanks for your reply Hellfire. I did open up the cymbal no problem, checked all the connections and they seemed fine. Then, just to be on the safe side, I unclipped the mylar switch ends and put them back together. Still the same.

I then performed factory reset of the module and reuploaded the most recent firmware (all the steps incl triggers, rom etc.) That didn't help either.

Do you think there is a way of fixing that without replacing? I can certainly fix the PCB, try and source the parts and replace them. I tried looking for the Alesis DMPad 16'' 3 zone ride but on Alesis website it says it's been discontinued and I could not find another one online.

Not sure if this isn't a problem with the jack socket too. When I unplug the jack from the brain just slightly so that only one area on the jack sleeve in connected the bell works.

Any ideas?

Since you are handy, and you think there might be an issue with the jack, you just might want to change it out or hit the connections of the jack on the PCB with a soldering iron. Just to make sure the jack is fully attached.

As to fixing the bell switch itself, I've never pulled apart an Alesis DMPad 16" so I don't know if the rubber will come off easy enough to do that. I believe the DMPad 16" is just a standard two jack 3 zone ride, so any ride cymbal with that set-up "should" (I say should because I can not 100% verify this statement as I don't own every know cymbal trigger) work. Sometimes it's easier to replace than to repair. That's where ebay comes in. 

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 06:08:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice and apologies for a late reply. I haven't attempted it yet, I mean I attempted it partly but disassembling the rubber around bell proved a bit difficult. I wanted to find out some more info on how it's built not to damage anything beyond repair. Also, I could not find any 3-zone 16'' ride anywhere online. There are only some 14''. No chance of finding 16'' Alesis one for replacement.

Do you know how the rubber is attached to the plastic cymbal? Is it some with sort of a glue, grooves etc?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 10:48:02 AM »
Thanks for the advice and apologies for a late reply. I haven't attempted it yet, I mean I attempted it partly but disassembling the rubber around bell proved a bit difficult. I wanted to find out some more info on how it's built not to damage anything beyond repair. Also, I could not find any 3-zone 16'' ride anywhere online. There are only some 14''. No chance of finding 16'' Alesis one for replacement.

Do you know how the rubber is attached to the plastic cymbal? Is it some with sort of a glue, grooves etc?

You could check with Instrumental Parts
They carry a majority if not all the complete line of discontinued/legacy and current Alesis parts and have a flat rate for shipping inside the US ($7.50)
The DM10 Kits are about a quarter of the way down the page.
The cymbal looks to be pt# 102150100-A
I would contact and double check and make sure it's a 3 zone or you can email the Parts Department/Support at Alesis and see if it's still available.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »
Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Unfortunately I'm based in the UK and I searched more locally as the shipping cost for a single cymbal from the US might not make this whole thing viable. I will contact Alesis but none of the shops listed on their website have the cymbal I'm after.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 10:55:13 PM »
Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Unfortunately I'm based in the UK and I searched more locally as the shipping cost for a single cymbal from the US might not make this whole thing viable. I will contact Alesis but none of the shops listed on their website have the cymbal I'm after.
I don't think you are going to have much luck on finding a New discontinued item in Europe..you may get lucky
The International shipping charges from Instrumental show a range from 22 to the highest 65.00 US (express shipping) but unknown if in stock.
There is a Major Retailer in the US that listed (5) New on ebay for a low BIN and OBO and ship to Europe...they have only sold 2 in a couple months and might just want to move the inventory.It can't hurt to ask shipping costs and then make an offer.
Alesis DM Pad 16" 3-Zone Ride
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 11:15:49 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 05:15:40 AM »
Thanks Chaser. I will probably have to do that although I must say I am determined to try and repair the existing bell. I found bell trigger switches and a pair for my ride will cost me around $10-15 so might be worth trying. Worst case scenario I can just replace the whole pad with this new one from eBay US you linked to.

Just before I pry it open, does anyone have any idea how the rubber is attached to the rest of the cymbal, especially on the bell part? Is it likely just using glue?