Author Topic: New DM10 Studio Kit Trigger Presets  (Read 11194 times)

Alesis

New DM10 Studio Kit Trigger Presets
« on: May 07, 2011, 01:27:38 AM »
Hi all –

We are excited to announce a significant trigger-preset update for the DM10 Studio Kit. These new presets enhance sensitivity, dramatically reduce crosstalk, and improve system stability.

This update is available by visiting http://www.alesis.com/dm10studiokit. Click the Docs and Downloads tab and scroll down to the last item listed: DM10 Studio Kit - App Update [v1.00p]. Instructions for completing the update are included in the download package.

Here is a direct link to this 296 kb .zip file: http://bit.ly/lcrftn

Happy drumming!

Offline inconn

Re: New DM10 Studio Kit Trigger Presets
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:31:38 AM »
!!!

THANK YOU!!!!

Gotta go try this AT ONCE!!! :D

Offline vaikl

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:23:48 AM »
Hi Dan!

That are great news!!!

One question: Does it matter if someone has the Blue Jay soundset installed? Or must we switch back to the factory sounds/kits first?

Offline raptor

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 11:14:48 AM »
Hi all –

We are excited to announce a significant trigger-preset update for the DM10 Studio Kit. These new presets enhance sensitivity, dramatically reduce crosstalk, and improve system stability.

This update is available by visiting http://www.alesis.com/dm10studiokit. Click the Docs and Downloads tab and scroll down to the last item listed: DM10 Studio Kit - App Update [v1.00p]. Instructions for completing the update are included in the download package.

Here is a direct link to this 296 kb .zip file: http://bit.ly/lcrftn

Happy drumming!

I've had this update since last Jan 2010. I didn't see any changes in the various updates. Not trying to cause any trouble, I don't see any files that are any different from what my DM10 already has installed (update #'s and such).

Offline vaikl

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »
I've had this update since last Jan 2010.

I assume you mean Jan 2011?

Do you really have app 1.00p installed?

The new one is the app, the boot version is needed for installing.

Offline raptor

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 12:13:56 PM »
I've had this update since last Jan 2010.

I assume you mean Jan 2011?

Do you really have app 1.00p installed?

The new one is the app, the boot version is needed for installing.

Ah! forgive me. Yes my DM10 folder sysex file shows  the 'l' version not the newer 'p' version. I will go ahead and update accordingly. Thank you again.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »
Just installed.  At first glance, the ride bell is a whole lot more responsive, but that's the only difference. On my noticing so far (mind you, that's a HUGE plus for me).

And it may have just been my ears tricking me, but I had less-bad issues with Tom1 post-update, not enough to go back from Perc4, but there was definitely a change.

Alesis

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »
Does it matter if someone has the Blue Jay soundset installed?

These trigger presets will work regardless of the sounds you've loaded in your DM10.

Offline raptor

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 02:17:40 PM »
It would be helpful if we had a list of the improvements so as to be able to check these out. I did the upgrade but don't hear/feel any difference at this time.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 03:30:06 PM »

These trigger presets will work regardless of the sounds you've loaded in your DM10.

Hm, I'm just trying to upload but consistently getting "Upload failed! Boot ROM protected!" errors when starting to upload the boot 1.00e file.

I'm using a G5 PowerBook as uploading machine, with no other input devices than the DM10 on USB. And have the Blue Jay on the DM10. Any hints, Dan?

Offline raptor

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »
 :) Hey everyone,
I just discovered that the new update allows for saving trigger settings. In the past only all memory could be saved. This is indeed a nice improvement. Maybe now sharing of kits without messing up trigger settings will be much better.

Thanks Alesis/Dan for that one. Yes!!!  ;)

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
Excellent! :)

There's not a ton of difference, but the biggest thing I've noticed is that all of my 8" pads seem to have a lot better response across the whole pad. They were having some trouble with the edges before, but now everything sounds golden.

Thanks for the update!

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 08:30:23 PM »
I found out about this new update today via facebook! I only bought my DM10 Studio Kit a few days ago and I'm still in the process of setting the module up to my liking. Luckily for me this has come along whilst I've booked a few days off work to play, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this update will effect the sensitivity and crosstalk  (tom 1 etc...). Thanks Dan!  :D

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »

Hm, I'm just trying to upload but consistently getting "Upload failed! Boot ROM protected!" errors when starting to upload the boot 1.00e file.

I'm using a G5 PowerBook as uploading machine, with no other input devices than the DM10 on USB. And have the Blue Jay on the DM10. Any hints, Dan?
That is because you already have boot 1.00e file in your DM10. Once a boot file is loaded into the DM10, the same version (or earlier versions) can no longer be uploaded to the DM10. I found this out about a month ago when I was playing around with some older updates that I had on my computer.

You should be able to upload the App file. I'm not sure if you will notice any difference in your DM10 however. I think this update is really meant for those users who are using the kit stock and don't like the stock trigger parameters.

I just tried to upload Trigger Settings only to my DM10 and I still can not do that. I only state that because I noticed raptor said he could. Can anyone else verify this?

Offline vaikl

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
That is because you already have boot 1.00e file in your DM10.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. The update with only the new app file works now. Haven't checked the differences yet.

Dan, maybe you could add this hint with the 1.00e boot file to the update instructions??

I just tried to upload Trigger Settings only to my DM10 and I still can not do that. I only state that because I noticed raptor said he could. Can anyone else verify this?

Nope, have tested it and I'm still seeing the "MIDI restore. Waiting..." message on my DM10 after trying the trigger upload :(

Offline raptor

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 05:39:02 PM »
That is because you already have boot 1.00e file in your DM10.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. The update with only the new app file works now. Haven't checked the differences yet.

Dan, maybe you could add this hint with the 1.00e boot file to the update instructions??

Nope, have tested it and I'm still seeing the "MIDI restore. Waiting..." message on my DM10 after trying the trigger upload :(

Hey everyone,

I amusing the sysex librarian program to do all of my updates. After I send the save midi trigger settings to my Mac via my Roland UM-1G usb/midi interface, all I need to do is transmit the short file (about 222 kbytes) back to the DM10.
NOTE: There is no receiving or any other info on the screen of the DM10 to indicate it is receiving any data. I just happened to notice while I was in the ext. trigger screen when I sent the file that my trigger settings were restored.

I had set all my trigger sensitivities to zero as my test, then resent my file and the correct settings were restored.

I really don't know if it worked prior to the update as in the past I was waiting to see something on the screen. Maybe it worked before, just not sure.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »
I had set all my trigger sensitivities to zero as my test, then resent my file and the correct settings were restored.

Have done this right now (using Sysex Librarian, too) - no luck. All triggers remain zero after upload.

The fact that Sysex Librarian shows a "Sent" message doesn't automatically mean that the DM10 has received the file. A Sysex dump works like broadcasting, so it's up to the devices to receive it correctly.

Did you saved your zero settings on the module before making the upload???
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:01:53 PM by vaikl »

Offline raptor

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 06:45:51 PM »

Have done this right now (using Sysex Librarian, too) - no luck. All triggers remain zero after upload.

The fact that Sysex Librarian shows a "Sent" message doesn't automatically mean that the DM10 has received the file. A Sysex dump works like broadcasting, so it's up to the devices to receive it correctly.

Did you saved your zero settings on the module before making the upload???

Hey again,
Yes I did save the settings. I even shut off the DM10 off after setting the values to zero. Turned DM10 on, sent the midi file and all settings restored.

I was watching the ext. trig display for the snare and the correct settings appeared. Checked other triggers as well.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 06:59:21 PM by raptor »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »
I was watching the ext. trig display for the snare and the correct settings appeared. Checked other triggers as well.

Wait, wait, just to not leaving me totally dumbheaded... Did you make your reload by just sending the file during normal display and working mode of the DM10 (and not using the recommended method in the manuals, holding "Store" during startup)?

YES, YOU DID!!!!! Have just tried it and it really works!!!

So, I don't know if this trick is part of the new app version. Please, if someone with a non-updated module could check this out, we could close a major issue from the bug list on our own! ;D

Offline raptor

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 08:01:51 PM »

Wait, wait, just to not leaving me totally dumbheaded... Did you make your reload by just sending the file during normal display and working mode of the DM10 (and not using the recommended method in the manuals, holding "Store" during startup)?

So, I don't know if this trick is part of the new app version. Please, if someone with a non-updated module could check this out, we could close a major issue from the bug list on our own! ;D

That is correct my friend!!!

Offline vaikl

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 08:25:28 PM »
That is correct my friend!!!

Nice yellow colour ;)

To make it more clear: What you've found out, "should" not work on the module. But it seems that the Alesis programmers have left a hole in the wall. Receiving a Sysex dump during normal operations is not "magical" stuff (most synthesizers can make use of this), but Alesis has stated in their instructions that this can't be done with the DM10 software.

Now we know that this isn't true and that opens some other possibilities, like instantly changing settings during live gigs or programming the DM10 from a DAW. That's worth a big yellow yell ;D ;D

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »
Very interesting development...Time to run some tests. ;D

Offline inconn

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 02:21:42 AM »
I've successfully completed the update but don't really see any difference :-/
Tom1 issue is still there (switched it to perc4).

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 09:37:45 AM »
I've successfully completed the update but don't really see any difference :-/
Tom1 issue is still there (switched it to perc4).
You need to contact Alesis. I think it has been obvious for a while now that this is a hardware issue and not a software issue. If you are able to switch to perc4 and not have the issue then it has to be a hardware issue. Please contact Alesis tech support.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 05:39:51 PM »

Yes it does work! Thanks raptor for sharing this info. BTW, it is not part of the new app version. It works the same on the 1.00L version as well. Something tells me it always worked this way. I'm just guessing however. So, its always been there, just documented incorrectly. :P (or it wasn't meant to work this way?). I don't care, it works and I'm happy because of it. ;D