Author Topic: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"  (Read 183115 times)

Online Hellfire

Re: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »
You don't need 40 multi-samples for Cymbal\ Kick\percussion for each instruments, just use less amount of sample for these on the modules and you can do this, unless you want to waist your memory, the big issue on stock sound module are snare\toms mostly considerable multi-samples much needed to avoid artifact..

True, but you also don't need a lots of multiple sample to avoid artifact/machine gunning either.

Hear me out on this. Unfortunately people only know what they've seen, so they believe the only way to avoid artifact/machine gunning is tons of samples and round robins. It's true that works, but it also required a ton of computing power to be done effectively. To focus only on number of samples to solve the artifact/machine gunning problem is very narrow minded to me.

Today we have great digital signal processors (DSPs) that could easily (within a very narrow window) manipulate things like pitch, attack, decay, volume and tone randomly in real time to a given sample. Effectively making one sample sound like several. This would mean tons of samples wouldn't be necessary, because one sample could take the place of say 10 samples. This technique is not nearly as processor hungry as using tons of samples. Don't get me wrong, you would still need a good handful of samples to make this work, but not nearly as many when just relying on samples alone.

I realize this is a radical idea, but I really believe it could make modules sound much closer to VSTs or even acoustic drums if just given a chance.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
I assume it will be backward compatible with previous Alesis and other brand pads to increase profits. If the sounds are a significant improvement over the DM10, then I would definitely buy it for $900. After all the mods I have done I'm really not interested in getting a whole new kit just to get the module no matter how good it is. The other features are great, but sounds and compatibility are my bottom line.

I'm pretty sure it will be backwards compatible. I've looked at the patent that Alesis/Inmusic filed and I don't see why it wouldn't be. With that in mind, I doubt the module will be made available separately right away. Again, I would guess it would be available six months to a year after the kit is released.

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »
The module not being available when the kit comes out works for me. I prefer to wait until all the firmware upgrades, reviews  and reliability reports are in before I spend that amount of money (given Alesis' history of rushing products to market before they are perfected).  I also am relatively happy with my current setup, but getting to this point took a lot of kit modifying and module tweaking. I sure hope the new module is more plug and play. I am concerned that the module not being ready for NAMM indicates some reliability, development and planning issues and pressure that may result in a premature release.  What we really need is for someone to find out about the quality of sounds produced by the module. All the buzz will certainly wake up DMdrummer and that's a good thing.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2016, 03:52:58 PM »
You don't need 40 multi-samples for Cymbal\ Kick\percussion for each instruments, just use less amount of sample for these on the modules and you can do this, unless you want to waist your memory, the big issue on stock sound module are snare\toms mostly considerable multi-samples much needed to avoid artifact..

True, but you also don't need a lots of multiple sample to avoid artifact/machine gunning either.

I know, the important is when the kits sound great overall, Yamaha\Roland on their flagship use about 3\4 samples max, just put these to 15 and you will see already much difference here with quality samples..

« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »
Kraft Music now has them listed on their site...

http://www.kraftmusic.com/brands/alesis/drums/

Also, please forgive me if this video has already been posted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CznlgpiIpKY
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:00:49 PM by djbeecee »

Offline JohnRick

« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2016, 05:22:47 PM »
To me - the most important thing will still be hihat management (edge zone capability) and overall sensibility.
Module sounds are always at the bottom of the list since most of us use VSTs anyway.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2016, 05:42:30 PM »
I think the "pro" set was an afterthought. The recording output doesn't support the third crash or the two down toms.
JimmyB

« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2016, 06:07:20 PM »
Is it just me, or does $900.00 seem a bit much for a bigger snare, additional tom, and a additional cymbal with the "Pro" kit? - I say scrap the "Zone" kit and price the "Pro" at $1999.00!! - also, did anyone notice no metronome? - not a deal breaker for me, but they are nice for practice

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2016, 06:21:20 PM »
I think the "pro" set was an afterthought. The recording output doesn't support the third crash or the two down toms.
JimmyB

If you are talking about the 8 Output, Kick, snare, hihat, ride, and these 4 output Tom R\ Tom L \ Cymbal R\ Cymbal L \ are Right and Left. All Right Tom\Cymbals on the setup that have R are instrument sound for the R output  and all Left Tom\Cymbals on the setup are instruments sound for L output, probably making these for instrument miks\panning.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:37:47 PM by ChrisK »

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2016, 06:34:06 PM »
That makes sense!
JimmyB

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2016, 06:38:33 PM »
That makes sense!
JimmyB

Yes, Normally with Acoustic drum you use 2 L and R overhead on cymbals and rack tom use the same DB signal miks type, floor tom use different miks type DB signal from rack toms for lower DB signal..Look like they have done it this way, I don't think this can cause issue, unless something critical on bad sound samples.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:41:46 PM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2016, 07:16:49 PM »
also, did anyone notice no metronome? - not a deal breaker for me, but they are nice for practice

Are you sure? The last slider on this image looks like "Metro":

After looking more at this image, it looks as if the new Strike does the whole layer A/B thing that the DM10 does (BTW, that's a good thing). :D Crossing my fingers that the Strike can also do the velocity editing:

Vel>Attack (DM10 lacked this option, was listed for OS 2.0)
Vel>Decay
Vel>Filtr (which is tone)
Vel>Level
Vel>Pitch

It was this mostly over looked feature of the DM10 that made it so powerful and still no other module gives the end user that kind of control. If the Strike has a little more control and better sounds, this module will be a grand slam.

« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2016, 08:17:11 PM »
also, did anyone notice no metronome?

« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2016, 08:25:21 PM »
Specs say no metronome..idk

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2016, 08:30:24 PM »
Specs say no metronome..idk

It would be crazy to have songs feature area without metronome, it sound right? when most of them have metronome. Right now all spec and screenshots module are basic\partial to nothing, these module screen are minimal slide show from the units, I would not make any conclusion on these stuff, until the guide\manual is available.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:34:26 PM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2016, 08:36:17 PM »
also, did anyone notice no metronome? - not a deal breaker for me, but they are nice for practice

Are you sure? The last slider on this image looks like "Metro":

After looking more at this image, it looks as if the new Strike does the whole layer A/B thing that the DM10 does (BTW, that's a good thing). :D Crossing my fingers that the Strike can also do the velocity editing:

Vel>Decay
Vel>Level
Vel>Pitch

It was this mostly over looked feature of the DM10 that made it so powerful and still no other module gives the end user that kind of control. If the Strike has a little more control and better sounds, this module will be a grand slam.

How does works A and B with DM10? In Sample Rack A means Head, B means Rim, and A and B there is velocity switch sound for each of A and B.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:39:43 PM by ChrisK »

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2016, 08:53:45 PM »
Last slider on the right says "metro."
JimmyB

« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2016, 08:58:45 PM »
ChrisK....my observation regarding no metronome was from the specs section on the Kraft Music site...look at the specs and it says no metronome...don't shoot the messenger...was just asking if anyone else noticed it

« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2016, 09:02:12 PM »
ChrisK....my observation regarding no metronome was from the specs section on the Kraft Music site...look at the specs and it says no metronome...don't shoot the messenger...was just asking if anyone else noticed it

I see it now... Gotta be just a typo based on them really not knowing what's in/on the kit. Also says no snare stand which I find hard to believe...

« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2016, 09:06:10 PM »
Whew, finally....second time in this thread I got my balls broke for making an observation!! Lol!!

Offline rhysT

« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »

How does works A and B with DM10? In Sample Rack A means Head, B means Rim, and A and B there is velocity switch sound for each of A and B.

I assume when a dual zone pad is plugged into any trigger input, the Edit Layer screen would display its selected Head or Rim zone in the top left corner where "NC" appears. If so, then each zone's A or B layer settings should be selectable with the F1 & F2 buttons.

Whereas in the SampleRack I agree that A & B refers to Head & Rim zones.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:37:12 AM by rhysT »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2016, 10:50:12 PM »

Vel>Decay
Vel>Level
Vel>Pitch

Case and point. A and B with the DM10 is for instrument layers. It allows the user to assign two instruments to a given zone. Using the editing functions of the DM10 those two sounds can be "mixed" together to form a new sound. At the same time the layer A/B functions plus editing can be used on the DM10 to do this:

THREE ZONE SNARE (with one dual zone trigger!)

and other tricks. You can't do this only any other brand of module. This is why I stated it is a very powerful feature. I just hope Alesis includes the high level Vel editing on the new Strike. It would be a major over site if the don't include this.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:52:02 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Trondster

« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2016, 01:06:49 AM »
Today we have great digital signal processors (DSPs) that could easily (within a very narrow window) manipulate things like pitch, attack, decay, volume and tone randomly in real time to a given sample. Effectively making one sample sound like several. This would mean tons of samples wouldn't be necessary, because one sample could take the place of say 10 samples. This technique is not nearly as processor hungry as using tons of samples. Don't get me wrong, you would still need a good handful of samples to make this work, but not nearly as many when just relying on samples alone.
I think you got it quite a bit backwards regarding  computing power - multiple samples and a round robin algorithm doesn't require any computing power at all - it is just selecting the correct sample to play - just as easy as figuring out which instrument sample to play.
It is the DSP processing that requires a lot of computing power. Multiple samples and a round Robin-like sequence just requires more memory.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2016, 02:43:38 PM »
I don't think this video has been linked to yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y4HOlpp2cs

It has a little bit closer view of the module. I wonder when Alesis will put out a promo video of the kit...

Offline JohnRick

« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2016, 02:58:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y4HOlpp2cs

1:25:
"A 12" movable hihat - feels great, plays good" :'(