Author Topic: (HELP) Would this work? (tricking dual zones with 2 modules)  (Read 3309 times)

(HELP) Would this work? (tricking dual zones with 2 modules)
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:30:11 AM »
I've mapped out the plan a bit in my mind, but haven't quite gotten to the details. I just know that collaborative thinking works better, especially for hitting walls.

I have an Alesis DM5 and an Alesis DM Pro as of now, I'm running MIDI out on the DM5 to trigger the DM Pro (basically, my DM5 triggers all of my equipment more reliably, and overall better). The problem with the DM5 is it lacks in-built dual zone support while the DM Pro has it on certain ports. However, there's a trick to allow dual zones for PD8's, etc. to work on the DM5. This involves taking a (single) 1/4 stereo to 2 (mono) adapter and taking up one of your unused ports.

So now what I'm asking is if this would still apply using my 2 modules? If I plug a trigger into the DMPro, sounds still trigger. So could I split for example my snare PD-8 into head and rim by using the snare port on the DM5 for the head, and the port on the pro for the rim?

It sounds to me like it should work as long as I reassigned the Pro's MIDI note to something not being used by the DM5.

I think that in principal it sounds correct to me, I just do not yet have the parts to try.

I figure it won't be a big deal (to me) if on occasion, my rim, or other extraneous triggers flake, as long as my core set works reliably.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Myron

Offline audiopat

Re: (HELP) Would this work? (tricking dual zones with 2 modules)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:58:04 AM »
That should work just fine... Only thing I'd worry about is crosstalk, as the seperate zones will be seperate modules...

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:22:13 AM »
Sweet, thanks for letting me know.  Didn't consider cross talk, but I figure I can work that out.  As I said, my particular pro doesn't trigger my Roland gear too great anyways.  I think I could at least get it to a point where any rims I might use would be buried in the mix if accidentally triggered, or maybe even just sensitive enough that it takes a good whack anyways.

If I get it going well, I I'll definitely come back and inform you, thanks again

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »
Isn't a PD-8 a piezo/switch trigger? I thought the rim trigger was a switch on the PD-8. If that's the case, your not going to get anything on the rim unless, you can change the trigger type to "switch" in the DMPro. I don't know if you can. You will need to check the manual for the DMPro. Keep mind also that even if you can change the zone to "switch", there will be no velocity on that zone.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 11:22:09 AM »
Ah, I don't think I can change it to switch, haven't come across it (otherwise I would have the bell working on my ride...)

Fortunately for me, the snare port on the Pro does support a switch input for the rim zone.  I guess this will be an issue if I wanted to dual zone some toms, which I did want to eventually (just because I could).  But I can at least get a snare rim and some chokeable cymbals.  I'm not positive, but I thought I did have velocity sensing on my snare rim when using the Pro to trigger, it's been a while so I was probably wrong.

Thanks for throwing your input in, I at least now know how many/which inputs I can do this with.  Fortunately, I ordered just enough of the cables to cover what should be possible.  I'll have to find a way to BS everything else :) i.e. a RS-5 for the ride bell like in the Pintech drums video.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 05:05:50 PM »
also as mb points out
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity