Author Topic: Introduction and Trigger IO Tip  (Read 7237 times)

Introduction and Trigger IO Tip
« on: January 09, 2010, 01:41:11 PM »
Hello,
I found this forum while I was browsing another forum and I was excited to see that your main focus here is Alesis products. I purchased an Alesis USB kit. I should say right from the start that I am totally new to e-drumming, or any Virtual instruments for that matter. I did not know anything about MIDI going into this.

My kit seemed to work pretty darn good with the BFD-Lite software that came with it. I had to learn about the Trigger IO and make adjustments here and there on the thresholds, gain, x-talk and stuff like that but I got it working. Now that I think about it a second I actually had trouble right from the get go because I didn't know anything about ASIO so I hunted all over the net and discovered ASIO4all, then it was working lol. I quickly got bored with the sample kits on the BFD-Lite so I wanted to see what kind of software was available besides the upgrade, BFD2 seems great but it is a bit costly at $299. I am not doing any recording and I just wanted some variety of sound to play, BFD seems like over kill with all of it's advanced engineering capabilities. I found Steven Slate Drums at about a third the price and it has some neat kits with really nice sounds.

Here is where I am going with this, for the benefit of others like myself with little to no experience. I'm sure many of you veterans already know this stuff but the knowledge did not come easy for me.

In SSD all of the MIDI note # are off by two octaves comparing to the Alesis manuals keyboard chart. I knew that I may have to re map notes for the software but what I did not expect, and was a great source of frustration was that SSD's keyboard map and Alesis keyboard map do not match up. To make it worse the SSD map does not contain note# at all only notes. For example if you want to assign the kick you would look at SSD manual and it would be on "C1" so you cross reference to the Alesis manual and find that "C1" = note# 12. This is incorrect, I don't know who is at fault here and it really doesn't matter the important thing is to understand that the two do not match up correctly. I found that what SSD calls "C1", Alesis calls "C3" (note#36) and so on with the entire note scale. I initially contacted SSD support and they were good people so I'm not trying to bad mouth them but they didn't have a clue about this discrepancy and I did not yet discover it. They basically said that they only support Roland products at this time. I didn't yet know what was going on so I had to just trigger a pad and cycle through note# on the Trigger IO until I found what sounded right. That is fine for the Kick but when you get into multiple cymbals with multiple sounds bell/bow you can be sure that your going to have a pretty funky kit when you try to guess ;-) 

Ok this is turning into a book now so I will save some of my questions for later posts. Thanks for reading and I hope that this may help some poor soul out there who is searching for answers concerning the Trigger IO, note numbers and mismatched notes.

A picture they say is worth a thousand words so I have included both Lol sorry for the long winded post, I created this chart from both the SSD and the Alesis manuals for easy reference to note# between the two. -----------BZ

Re: Introduction and Trigger IO Tip
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 12:20:45 PM »
Many thanks for this BobZilla - I have decided to go down the same route, but wasn't aware of the problems between SSD and the Trigger IO. This will hopfully save me some time!

I have the Trigger IO on order, with the view to getting SSD EX in a few weeks, once I have made sure my laptop is fast enough with BFDLite.

A

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 12:54:35 PM »
Exellent post! BTW, welcome to the forum.

P.S. I will most likely move or re-post this post under "VST and MIDI" as a sticky. If you don't mind. ;)

But, for now, I will leave it here since it is also your introduction.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:11:32 PM by Hellfire »

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 10:17:21 PM »
Thanks guys.

That's good preOats, we will probably have some things to talk about if we are running the same software. One thing I can offer up is if you notice on the chart I posted some of the notes have [KB, VD]  and some only have one or the other. On SSD you have a choice of KB or VD to load for each kit, a few notes will be different depending on which you use, I have been using the keyboard versions for my setup.

SSD is great, at least for me. I don't really fault the program it's really just a mismatch of standards. You might want to get some other software to feed the Trigger IO signals to before the SSD but you don't absolutely have to. I am on a trial of etrigger right now. I like it so far because it gives me a better graphic to look at for each trigger so it helps me level everything nicely before feeding the drums off to SSD. Putting a middle man program in there also makes it easy to switch the input note if you want to change a cymbal or something. You could do the same thing from your trigger IO but I just prefer to set that and leave it alone.

The etrigger software is also supposed to help out with the Hi hat, that's a big thing I should warn you about, for me mine doesn't work right in SSD. I think I can overcome the issue but I haven't had enough time to mess with it yet. It seems that a lot of people have Hi hat problems no matter what they are using, anyway I'm new to it all and that's why I came here ;-)

Thanks Hellfire, glad to be welcomed ;-)

You could move it anytime, or maybe a new shorter version just about the chart thing for a sticky. I gave a whole long background for that post that could be shortened up to just get to the meat and potatoes of it. 

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:05:52 AM »
Thanks Hellfire, glad to be welcomed ;-)

You could move it anytime, or maybe a new shorter version just about the chart thing for a sticky. I gave a whole long background for that post that could be shortened up to just get to the meat and potatoes of it.
I went ahead and made a shortened version of your post under the "VST and MIDI". You can view it here: Trigger I/O Midi Map for Steven Slate Drums (SSD)
Thanks again for the great chart!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:22:55 PM »
Welcome.  You'll find (as it appears you already have) a good group of peeps here.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 06:55:01 PM »
Hi all,

Just new to the forum today! Doe's anyone happen to have the IOmap file for this?

Got my alesis trigger io set up with some surge cymbals going into SSD4 but when I look at the midi conversion chart my brain goes haywire.....

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Baz

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:05:07 PM »
It is two up from your request...under Hellfire's response.. blue highlighted
"Trigger I/O Midi Map for Steven Slate Drums (SSD)"

just click on it..
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:08:56 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 09:52:15 PM »
Hi BobZilla,

Thanks for the reply! I think you misunderstand me, or have I missed the actual file somwhere?(not the jpeg) I am asking if someone can possibly attach their saved map conversion file ".iom" for this mapping and post that or possibly email it to me.

Regards

Baz

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 09:16:04 AM »
Doe's anyone understand what I mean?

I just need the actual file from SSD4, I'm struggling to understand how to use this map and my brain can't function jumping between screens back and forth.

Help a brother out please  :)

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 01:58:39 PM »
Hi BobZilla,

Thanks for the reply! I think you misunderstand me, or have I missed the actual file somwhere?(not the jpeg) I am asking if someone can possibly attach their saved map conversion file ".iom" for this mapping and post that or possibly email it to me.

Regards

Baz

Hi Chaser,

Apologies, I pm'd BobZilla and thought it was him who commented on my message. My brain has been fried with this whole midi mapping chaos.....

Do you have the SSD4 .iom file you can give me?

Regards

Baz

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 12:36:22 PM »
Anyone??????? :'(

Offline Chaser

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 06:47:58 PM »
As far as Slate products go...I don't have anything past 3.5 EX...which was Kontakt..I do have a SSD3 .iom for SSD4 if I ever purchase it
A member did a SSD4 .iom for the DM10 Studio.. you could load it and see how it works and tweak it , re-name/save it or make a copy/use the key map from above and the link below which provides video training for a number of things in SSD4 including custom mapping to help build one. there is mention in the post for the .iom" You need at least the  1.0997 version of SSD4."
Just put it in the IOMaps folder of your SSD4 installation and load it with the button "load conversion"
 http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=3020.0

then follow the video instructions for custom mapping...it's drag and drop..

SSD4 videos.
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/tutorial-videos.php

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:58:48 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 02:40:15 PM »
Hey Chaser,

Only just seen this. Mega thanks for helping out!

Will get on this asap :)

Baz