Author Topic: DIY tube triggers?  (Read 1564 times)

DIY tube triggers?
« on: October 13, 2021, 11:12:29 PM »
Hey all! Has anyone tried making a DIY tube trigger like the Drum-Tec Tube Trigger Pro or the Pintech tubes? Or even like the Roland BT1 trigger bar?

This post was the closest I could find. https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1701.0

I've got a bunch of spare piezos and I'm looking for inspiration.

Online Hellfire

Re: DIY tube triggers?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 07:54:41 AM »
Similar to a Roland BT-1, Yes try this link:

HF-1 Zero XTalk Bar Trigger (Roland BT-1)

As far as making a regular Pintech tube, there really isn't much to it. Get a small piece of drum rack tubing, drill a hole for the 1/4" instrument jack, and wire up your Piezo. Using some foam (that you would get at a hobby store) wrap the piezo and cram it all into the tube. Put a couple of tube end caps on and you are good to go. Mount it using a standard drum rack clamp. You can add some rubber to the it if you want to dampen the stick hit, but that's about it.

Heck, if you don't like drilling into metal (for the 1/4" jack), drill into one of the end caps. That would make the build even easier. There isn't much to a DIY tube triggers.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:10:10 PM by Hellfire »

Re: DIY tube triggers?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 05:44:48 PM »
Hey this is late but I made some of these a few months ago and they worked really well. I made it almost identical to this schematic, all with parts I found at the hardware store (apart from the piezos):

One change I made was to buy some rubber grommets to sit in the mounting holes; these help insulate the pipe from the stand I mounted it on, to prevent vibrations/crosstalk, but also just having the piezos a bit further away from the mounting end helped a lot, and I even made a smaller one out of some PVC piping for a sprinkler system that sits on the same mounting peg as my snare for an extra trigger.

I was planning on making a "how to" video for my YouTube channel but haven't got around to it yet, but you can see some video of them in action here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLF9d-NAlRc/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 05:49:14 PM by peanutismint »