Author Topic: Gapless Patch Changes? Strike Module  (Read 599 times)

Gapless Patch Changes? Strike Module
« on: August 08, 2021, 10:20:13 PM »
Hey guys, new to the forum.  Point me in the right direction if I missed this, but I poked around a bit and couldn't find it, apologies if I missed something obvious.

Ok, so I'm the "tech guy" for my band, not the drummer - but the drummer (who is also the bandleader) just upgraded his longsuffering V drums from probably the very early 00s with a Strike Pro kit.  Problem is, our live procedure is to finish a tune, bandleader/drummer calls next tune to band members while the last note is playing, he immediately starts playing the groove of the new tune one-handed while he dials up an appropriate patch with his other hand (to keep people on the dance floor), and the counts us in to start the tune. 

The Strike module has a bit of lag on the patch changes, and I can't find a way around this.  Does anyone know if there's some way to be rid of this?  I'm familiar with similar problems on other gear - mostly guitar pedals, in my case - but also that there can be ways to mitigate it, or options to "if you really want to give up what is necessary in order to make spill-over work, then sure" but can't find anything similar in menus. 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Offline Chaser

Re: Gapless Patch Changes? Strike Module
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 10:46:14 AM »
Hey guys, new to the forum.  Point me in the right direction if I missed this, but I poked around a bit and couldn't find it, apologies if I missed something obvious.

Ok, so I'm the "tech guy" for my band, not the drummer - but the drummer (who is also the bandleader) just upgraded his longsuffering V drums from probably the very early 00s with a Strike Pro kit.  Problem is, our live procedure is to finish a tune, bandleader/drummer calls next tune to band members while the last note is playing, he immediately starts playing the groove of the new tune one-handed while he dials up an appropriate patch with his other hand (to keep people on the dance floor), and the counts us in to start the tune. 

The Strike module has a bit of lag on the patch changes, and I can't find a way around this.  Does anyone know if there's some way to be rid of this?  I'm familiar with similar problems on other gear - mostly guitar pedals, in my case - but also that there can be ways to mitigate it, or options to "if you really want to give up what is necessary in order to make spill-over work, then sure" but can't find anything similar in menus. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You didn't mention the modules OS version number so I would check that first..
Starting with v1.4 the Kits load much faster (depending on the kit size/FX) initially with minimal velocities..while the additonal velocities and FX are loading in the background..

Other than that to make kit changes faster (don't know if the drummer is scrolling around through the kits) you can save as user kits in the order of your set then you only need to turn the dial minimally (next kit)..or use a MIDI controller to send MIDI  program change messages to the Strike module’s MIDI input.
The  numbers  of  program  change  messages correspond to the kits listed in the current folder. Alternatively, send MIDI CC #118 to increment by one kit or MIDI CC #119 to decrement by one kit.

Re: Gapless Patch Changes? Strike Module
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 02:03:26 AM »
I will definitely be checking the firmware, thanks for that.  I certainly hope that does the trick.

MIDI patch control probably won't help him much - it's precisely what I would do, but he's been changes patches one handed while playing for decades.  It's just literally the gap as the module changes over, it's currently too noticeable and would have a pretty jarring effect on the dance floor.